Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 05:26 AM   #771

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwok View Post
I agree, knocking out baffles is not good engineering. See what is out there that is engineered or a shorter muffler, but you have altered fuel and back pressure for your entertainment value. Play something on YouTube while you drive! Haha
I just can't help myself.

To be fair, it really did help drop EGT a huge amount by knocking the baffles out... I bet it helps a bit more to straight pipe it.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #772

Piker, take a look at this: http://www.donaldsonfilters.com/Page...s/exhaust.aspx
Old 09-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #773

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I changed to a Banks 4" stainless strait through muffler. The claim is it flows better than a strait pipe. It did fit exactly where my stock muffler was. You might see if this would help in your application. Some of the earlier 5.9's had a smaller diameter exaust off the turbo.
Banks Power | 98-02 Dodge - 5.9L Cummins ISB>>Banks Power Elbow® Assembly
Well as long as you are dreaming.
I think I bought my muffler through Jegs or Summit.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #774

I did a little investigating, and I think if I do anything at all to the exhaust, I'll probably go with something like this:

4040XL - "Aero Turbine Muffler"

Basically it's a straight through muffler kinda like a glass pack but without the glass. Seems reasonably priced for a stainless muffler... They also have a "non resonated" version as well which is a little cheaper... not exactly sure what the difference in sound would be between the two.

We have a neighbor up the road who has a straight piped cummins in his dodge truck, and while I personally think it sounds kinda cool... I can see where some folks would find it utterly obnoxious.

When I knocked the guts out of our muffler, the sound definitely got louder but not so much at idle... and even at its loudest, it's nothing like a straight pipe. If I could keep the current volume and just transform the tinny sound of the huge empty muffler carcass into a nice deep tone I'd be pretty stoked.

Again... just doing a little dreaming... I've got lots to keep me busy on this old wagon before I can go throwing time and money at stuff that is not needed to get it road worthy.

-cheers
Old 09-09-2015, 06:22 AM   #775

Monaco Owners Club
Why fool around with just the straight pipe? Add a small fuel mist, light it off, and enjoy......
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #776

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Piker, I put a straight thru, no baffle muffler on my semi! It was made by Walker Muffler, very reasonable priced, had a great sound, but not very loud! Rail!
Old 02-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #777

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Back in post 90 you said this:

"The hardest thing to swallow about this is the fact that it will probably cost $3k to do a proper rebuild, including the turbo..."

Curious now how close you were to that estimate?

I just found this thread yesterday, and like everyone else I've been mesmerized. Read the whole thing start to finish in 2 days. I guess I should get some work done now.

ga80486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #778

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga80486 View Post
Back in post 90 you said this:

"The hardest thing to swallow about this is the fact that it will probably cost $3k to do a proper rebuild, including the turbo..."

Curious now how close you were to that estimate?

I just found this thread yesterday, and like everyone else I've been mesmerized. Read the whole thing start to finish in 2 days. I guess I should get some work done now.

It ended up being a bit more than that... I had originally planned on just buying the cartridge part of the turbo for a few hundred dollars... but ended up $1300 later with a whole new one. I also spent $200 for all new head bolts that I didn't expect to buy, as well as a few other miscellaneous items... oil lines, extra head gasket, etc. I ended up at around $4600 I think.

Wow... seems like a lot! I just got done driving the old girl out to the paint shop. There's probably less than 50 miles on the rebuild. I sure hope it holds together.

-cheers
Old 02-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
I just got done driving the old girl out to the paint shop.
-cheers
I want to see pictures!!
Old 02-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #780

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
I want to see pictures!!
For sure... I'll post them in the New Exterior Siding thread when it's done. Still a lot of work to do...

-cheers
Old 02-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #781

There's probably some people who don't follow the new siding thread, so I figured I'd post some pics of the fresh paint here in the engine rebuild thread... The new siding and paint really turned out better than I had expected. We're still not done, but we're getting closer! There will definitely be some camping this summer.

I must have about 80 or 90 miles on the cummins rebuild now... not a lot by any stretch, but so far so good. She runs and sounds great, and the oil is still crystal clear... no flakes of anything floating around in it... always a good sign.

The alarm system on the EGT/Boost gages works great... What's interesting is that the new turbo really seems to outperform the old one by quite a bit. I haven't been beating on the engine, but I have been putting some torque to the ground once in a while, and so far, I've never seen the alarm go off for high EGT... but I have seen the boost trip the buzzer, and when I looked down it was at 38 psi . TOO MUCH. I need to get that boost fooler turned down to about 32 psi max so I don't lift the head and blow a gasket. Once spring time gets here and the roads get cleared of salt, I'll have plenty of time to tinker with the fine tuning.

Well, all for now.

-cheers

Old 02-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #782

Great job!
Old 03-31-2016, 10:11 AM   #783

Thought I'd post a quick update on the engine rebuild...

As of now, we have about 275 miles on the rebuild, and so far so good. No oil usage, and the oil is still clean, so I think the rings are seating nicely. The high boost I was experiencing before was due to having the boost fooler valve installed backwards... basically blocked off the line to the waste gate... once I turned it around, I had 32 lbs of boost max, which is right where I want it. The new turbo definitely outperforms the old one... I was never able to get 38 lbs on the old one.

I've been fortunate to keep busy at work, so we've got a big trip planned for this summer. We're hopeful that it works out for us... but I need to get some more miles on the engine before I feel comfortable going too far away from home... Still working on finishing up the body repairs on the passenger side, but I'm getting close.

all for now

-cheers
Old 03-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
Thought I'd post a quick update on the engine rebuild...

As of now, we have about 275 miles on the rebuild, and so far so good. No oil usage, and the oil is still clean, so I think the rings are seating nicely. The high boost I was experiencing before was due to having the boost fooler valve installed backwards... basically blocked off the line to the waste gate... once I turned it around, I had 32 lbs of boost max, which is right where I want it. The new turbo definitely outperforms the old one... I was never able to get 38 lbs on the old one.

I've been fortunate to keep busy at work, so we've got a big trip planned for this summer. We're hopeful that it works out for us... but I need to get some more miles on the engine before I feel comfortable going too far away from home... Still working on finishing up the body repairs on the passenger side, but I'm getting close.

all for now

-cheers
Nice job Piker, enjoy your summer and remember, Keep the Shiny Side Up.