Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:10 AM   #813

American Coach Owners Club
Glad to hear all of the good news !
Have a happy and safe return trip to PA. By the way how's that old DKD running !
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #814

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Glad to hear all of the good news !
Have a happy and safe return trip to PA. By the way how's that old DKD running !
So far so good on the genny. I think we've put about 60 or 70 hours on it this trip. Once it didn't seem to want to start... But it was just the shut off solenoid sticking. Actually, I think it was just the connection at the solenoid cause when I reseated the wire it started right up and hasn't given me any more issues. It seemed to run fine rolling across the desert... It does seem to lose a little coolant from the overflow tank, but then so does my kubota tractor at home. It's probably nothing...

I made a spreadsheet to track generator hours and engine mileage for our trip... It allows you to estimate the gallons per hour on the generator so you can get a handle on your fuel mileage. Using .5 gph on the generator shows us about 11.3 average over 5000 miles on the cummins. I suspect that's right about where it will stay as we travel home. I'll post the spreadsheet when we get home just in case anyone is curious.

Cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #815

Monaco Owners Club
Great news! I've always felt that a little bit of oil consumption on a diesel just meant it was working right. Out west with 40F between high and low temps it will cause enough shrink to see, depending on when you check and top off.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #816

Piker and Family,

WOOHOOO!! So happy for you all!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #817

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Piker, I found there is a $5.00 rebate(from the web site) on Shell Rotella T5 and T6. I haven't experienced any oil pressure drop using the T6.
I am in Michigan near Ann Arbor tonight.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:42 PM   #818

Fuel Usage - 7500 mile round trip

Well, we made it back today... The rebuilt engine performed great for all 7461 miles of our tour to the pacific coast and back.

As promised earlier... here is a screen shot of the spreadsheet I used to track the fuel usage. Yes I'm a nerd. Fill in the first 5 columns and everything else is a calculated field. It's an attempt at separating the fuel used for the generator from the fuel used for the engine, even though they both pull from the same tank. To do this, I had to estimate the hourly consumption of the generator. The DKD manual states that at full load it uses .9 gph... I don't know what it uses under no load but have read it might be around .3 gph. (This is not a fancy inverter type generator that regulates rpm based on load... it's an old tractor motor hooked to a generator head that spins 1800 rpm all the time.)

When we run the genny, we run both rooftop ac's plus the fridge and hot water heater... plus the converter. The AC compressors run pretty much non stop in the desert... as does the heater for the fridge. I suspect the fuel usage would be between .4 and .6 gph average, so I settled on .5 for an estimate. At that rate, the spreadsheet shows the cummins at 11.3 mpg. FYI... .4gph yields 11.1mpg and .6gph yields 11.5mpg

In the 'Engine MPG Trip" column, you can see the effect of calculating the mpg using only a single fill up... it's all over the place. Depending on how the rv is sitting, I bet the fill up can vary 10 gallons on a 90 gallon tank easy.

You can also see that the overall mpg for the trip with generator and cummins combined was 10.3.

All for now...

-cheers

PS... the trip meter on the GPS was withing 30 miles of the odometer readings for overall mileage... these numbers should be pretty solid.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #819

Oh, and by the way NHRA225... I did notice that towards the end of the trip, the generator would surge a bit under no load conditions... It's due for a service, so I'll see what happens once it's got a new fuel filter on it. If that doesn't take care of it, it might need some TLC.

-cheers
Old 07-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #820

Sounds like overall you had a decent time! Congrats on the actual engine performance after your rebuild! I may be in your vicinity the last week of this month IF the wife can get the time off (might go to pymatuning)......
Old 03-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #821

Update... and Exhaust Springs

We now have around 20,000 miles on this rebuild, and so far... so good! There were times along the way that I thought we'd never get this thing back on the road, but since the rebuild the old Cummins has been pretty good to us.

My question today is regarding an exhaust brake. God willing, we are heading back up beartooth pass this summmer, as well as taking 14a over the Bighorns again in Wyoming... It would give me a little piece of mind to have some supplemental brakes on the RV. Plus it would just be cool.

I found a brand new Pacbrake for dirt cheap that will work on this engine... its just the valve and cylinder, (not a kit with compressor or solenoid valve) and it's a fixed orifice type, but it should do the trick. I know you have to use heavier exhaust springs to keep the valves from floating when you use an exhaust brake... 60lb springs I believe. The new china cylinder head I put on the engine (which has thus far performed just fine btw - knock on wood) appears to have heavier exhaust springs, but there wasn't any specs that came with the head to say just how heavy they were. I have contacted the ebay seller, but no response as of yet...

If you look at the picture below, you can see the original springs on the right - one is an intake and one is an exhaust, and they are identical. The springs on the new head are on the left, and the larger/heavier spring is the exhaust spring.

Can anyone tell just by looking that these are indeed the heavier 60lb springs? I don't really have a way to test them at my disposal... I could just order new springs, but I hate to do that if it's not necessary. Any thoughts?

-cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve springs.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	195187  
Old 03-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #822

Gulf Streamers Club
Hello Piker. Sorry I do not know the answer to your spring questio. Great to hear you are going back on the road.

ronspradley

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:36 AM   #823

Thanks Ron...

The old intake, the old exhaust, and the new intake springs are all identical. The new exhaust springs are a good deal larger and heavier than all of those. I assume this means they are intended for exhaust brake use, but you know what assuming can do. I wish I just knew the specs on the springs... In lieu of that, it would be nice to hear from someone who has actually seen the springs side by side before and could say “yep... those look right.” Probably should just remove one and figure out a way to test it.

Cheers
Old 03-11-2018, 06:30 AM   #824

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have a drill press could you not use a bathroom scale on it and compress the two springs and get an idea of whatcha is heavier
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #825

American Coach Owners Club
I would take them to a local Engine Shop and check them under pressure at installed height and compare them to the old springs.
Obviously taller means more pressure, but taller at installed height sometimes means coil bind.
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #826

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
I would take them to a local Engine Shop and check them under pressure at installed height and compare them to the old springs.
Obviously taller means more pressure, but taller at installed height sometimes means coil bind.
Thanks NHRA... remember though, these are the springs that came on the new head. I don't think coil bind will be an issue? They are taller, but they are also kind of barrel shaped. I've been looking at pictures of other peoples spring comparisons on the web, and these sure look like the 60# springs... probably wise to double check though.

Looking at 12 volt air compressors now. I can't imagine you'd need a ton of air to run an exhaust brake. I found this and am thinking it would be sufficient... it only has a 10% duty cycle though. Not sure if that's enough...

Air compressor

-cheers