Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2023, 11:55 AM   #1

Warm Up - Any Series Cummins

So my (rude) neighbor insists on idling his barely muffled ISB pickup for about 15 minutes at 4:30 a.m. every freakin' day. It's a 2004 5.9, and he did the same with its predecessor - a 90's 12 valve ... even louder. He also has a hauler with a ISL; that's worth a half hour of clatter whenever the family heads out on a camping trip. This goes on irrespective of outside air temperature.

I tried to tactfully share this tidbit of information with him after being woken up for the umpteenth time by these shenanigans: "Engine Warm-up Idling the engine for warm-up is not necessary. When oil pressure is indicated, put vehicle in motion. Operate. with a light throttle and limited RPM until coolant temperature reaches approximately 150°F.". He did not receive the information very well - probably added a couple minutes to his process after I explained how disruptive his machinery is to our family.

The quoted procedure was found on the Internet, but it's almost verbatim what was listed in my ISB powered truck manual, which I cannot find at the moment. I've taken this as gospel despite being partially raised on a farm by an uncle who said "diesels are designed to idle forever, so warm 'em up good and don't shut down till the day is over."

Recently Dr. Google came up with a recommendation that comes from an independent Cummins service facility, and it seems to better support my neighbor's antics:

"As a general rule of thumb, if it is below zero degrees Fahrenheit, you should allow your engine up to seven minutes to warm up. If the temperature is between zero and fifty degrees, the warm-up period should be three to five minutes. Over fifty degrees will only require one or two minutes to warm up."

Our location never sees sub-zero, and maybe 30% of mornings fall into the middle category, with the vast majority > 50F. Even if the above recommendation were absolute, the warm up times I get to "enjoy" every day go way beyond.

Wondering what other folks do with their Cummins for warm up? With our ISL leaving a campground, we roll the moment I see oil pressure, just as a courtesy to our neighbors. It probably does not see >1000 rpm for at least 10 minutes after that, and is always up around 160 coolant temp when any serious throttle is applied.

I'd also appreciate thoughts on how to convince a noisy neighbor there's a better way than sitting for 15 minutes every morning. If i were loaded with $$, I'd buy him a Duramax with factory muffler intact, and he could idle to his heart's content!
zippinbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2023, 01:49 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
"I'd also appreciate thoughts on how to convince a noisy neighbor there's a better way than sitting for 15 minutes every morning."

There is nothing you can do or say to make him change his bad habit. After all, he knows more about diesels than you do.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:04 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Show him the PRINTED recomendations from Cummins. If he won't change his habits then, he is an ignorant jerk and there is not much you can do about it. At least you can have the satisfaction that he is wasting money on fuel and putting unnececssary wear on his engine.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 02:05 PM   #4

I’ve had a cummins for well over 20 years. Have never let them warm up 7 minutes. I start it, if the oil pressure is good I am off. They may get 1 to 2 minutes. I have always had an easy drive to the freeway downhill and slow speed even very cold they have all seen well below zero temps at times.
First one is still going with 400k on it
Old 02-27-2023, 02:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I’d return the favor but starting my coach at some god awful hour for a few days in a row. Maybe he’ll get the hint
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 04:41 PM   #6

When we left up north w te
Mp in the teens I plugged in Block heater onite, and air preheated didn't even cycle on when starting.
If he wants to add life to a diesel, add / use a Block heater in cold Wx.
Maybe you could make it a holiday / Bday gift if he doesn't have one?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 05:02 PM   #7

Have a 2007 5.9L CTD
When the 'squiggly' line shows on dashboard the grid heaters cycle...when 'squiggly' line goes off I start truck, place it in gear and drive off

There is NO Rational reason for excessive idling

The Jerk has a hole over routine from his OLD Mechanical 12V that does NOT apply to his electronic 24V diesel

Dr. Goggle and the Independent Cummins Service Center are idiots also

Ask your Jerk Neighbor if he has the Owners Manual. Have him READ the information FROM CUMMINS in the manual

But he is going to continue to be a JERK
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 06:29 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
It is more about being considerate of others that the warm up.

My old '98 5.9, first of the 24 valves is insane loud. I was always embarrassed to start it in any campground at any time of day. Never did so until the family is loaded and I was ready to scoot. Guess everyone isn't built the same.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:45 PM   #9

zippinby,, my Cummins manual reads the same, plus it says until the temperature gauge begins to move, do not use full throttle application.
Shoot my temp.gauge is halfway to normal or better by the time I reach the interstate nearly all the time.
My engine only idles enough to inflate air springs, then I'm gone.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:19 PM   #10

You guys are right - this dude is not going to listen to reason. Very set in his ways. I'm pretty sure he goes to bed very early, since he's up at 4 every day, so maybe positioning my exhaust near his bedroom at around 9 or 10 pm would get the point across. My coach's P.O. installed a Magnaflow muffler that's a bit louder than I would choose. It's a throaty, sweet sound at idle (all I've ever heard from outside). The only neighbor I've every worried about while doing a run-up for fluid change or air building has approached me and said "I love the sound of your rig!" And I'm sure he's sincere, not delivering a "your $hi* is loud" message. There's a wall between us and most of the noise bounces back at my house. All I need do is pull into the street and park on the curb to share this sweet music with Mr. Warm Up Man!
Old 02-28-2023, 01:39 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippinbye View Post
All I need do is pull into the street and park on the curb to share this sweet music with Mr. Warm Up Man!
IMHO, you would be playing right into his hand. If he is looking for a reaction he's got you.

I would get on with my life and figure out some way to ignore him. If he hasn't listened to your concerns so far, he is not going to be affected my your idling your rig earlier than he does.

Life is too short...
Old 03-01-2023, 02:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 7 View Post
IMHO, you would be playing right into his hand. If he is looking for a reaction he's got you.

I would get on with my life and figure out some way to ignore him. If he hasn't listened to your concerns so far, he is not going to be affected my your idling your rig earlier than he does.

Life is too short...
I try to think in these terms. But I sleep with earplugs and white noise to try and cope with this crap. That diminishes my ability to hear an intruder, smoke alarm or other threat. Honestly, it's about once a week on average that this noise wakes up one or more of us since we have tried to adapt. You can only adjust so much. Just wishing there were a "switch" I could flip to connect this guy's brain to the common courtesy pathway. Maybe if I endure it long enough he will upgrade his work truck to a muffled 2023 6.7 that hums like a sewing machine.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:49 AM   #13

Depending on where you live the State/City might have an excessive idling law. It maybe worth looking into.

He will probably know it was you that complained but you did warn him.
Old 03-03-2023, 01:53 PM   #14

Maybe he doesn’t care about anything except that his heater blows warm air when he gets in to go.

This is one reason why I don’t live in a normal subdivision.

Do you have an HOA that might have rules against such things?

City ordinance was mentioned.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins