Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #1

Unhappy Water in fuel light and check engine light

I'm new to posting and RVing. I have a 99 Fleetwood Discovery with a 275 Cummings. While driving the "Water in fuel" light came on. I stopped and changed both fuel filters and drained some fuel. Now the "check engine" light and "water in fuel" light take turns coming on. Sometimes no light at all will be on for a few minutes and then one or the other will come on for a short time. I have drained the separator and there has been no water in it. Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas?
Thank you.
Donny Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #2

Donny Q, I too have a '99 Discovery, what I would do, is pull the cables off of the engine batteries, over night. I had a problem with check engine light on my Jeep, GC, and that's what I did, it reset the ECM. I don't know for sure if the Cummins, will reset the ECM, but maybe worth a try?
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Same topic - Water in fuel light then Check Engine Light -
2009 Winnebago Destination 340HP Cummins ISB
This motorhome has seen more rain in the last 14 days than in the last five years. Driving down the road, in the rain, the water in fuel light will come on. I can clear it with the "control joystick." This will happen 10 to 12 times in a 40 to 50 miles. Occasionally the check engine light will come on, but then will clear. I have trouble believing that it is water in the fuel as I fuel at major truck stops. The problem only occurs while driving in the rain. Seems that I heard of water getting splashed into the air intake and this alert triggering. So far there has not been any diminishing in power/performance.
Suggestions?
Old 09-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #4

Do you have a water separator fuel filter with a sensor? If so, check it just to be safe.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Before moving my fuel filter w/separator & sensor from high on the side of the block to the rear for easy access, I never had a water in fuel light. Since moving it, the light often comes on when driving in the rain. It even came on once after service when the service place washed the rear of the coach after they finished the service. So, the sensitivity of the sensor depends to some degree on how exposed it is, and how well the connector is put together. Since you say you have drained the separator and found no water, I suspect an erroneous reading. Check the connection and ensure it is tight. Some have attempted to wrap it in plastic to shield it from outside moisture.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, fuel, check engine light