Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
What are the Pre-Def Years?

Can you tell me the Pre-Def years in Diesels?

And in your opinion, if one is looking at a D/P upgrade, should a Pre-Def engine be high on your priority list?

I have heard the mechanical aspects & repair cost of pre-def is something to consider.

I'm all about keeping it simple.

James
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Can you tell me the Pre-Def years in Diesels?

And in your opinion, if one is looking at a D/P upgrade, should a Pre-Def engine be high on your priority list?

I have heard the mechanical aspects & repair cost of pre-def is something to consider.

I'm all about keeping it simple.

James

For the most part, Diesel engines built after 1/1/2010 will have the DEF system. Many 2010 D/Ps will have engines built before that date and you will find that 2011 will be the model year that DEF started.

The emissions device that seems to cause the most repair problems is the EGR system that started in some engines in '03.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #3

If you want simple look for a diesel that is not newer than a 2007. Even then there are EGR problems. If you look for one even older it won't even have that. What are you looking for? Diesel truck or motor home?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
A few years ago any mechanic I spoke to about DEF said to stay away from DEF systems especially the early models, granted, this equates to a handful of mechanics and not an industry questionnaire. Perhaps the bugs as in any new system are worked out, I'm keeping my 01 DP for a while at least.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Don't let the DEF nay-sayers scare you. We're on our second DEF coach and to date have had no issues. Yes, a deep dive search will find some that had leaks or excessive DEF use, but virtually any system on anything mechanical will have a percentage of problems. Of the many friends with DEF coaches I don't personally know of any problems.

I love the ZERO diesel smell from the coach exhaust. The DEF engines are typically uprated slightly in power and will get a slight fuel economy advantage over the model years immediately preceding DEF.

Your "job" of finding a well cared for previously loved coach in a floorplan you like, equipped as you'd prefer, will be hard enough without adding this to the mix.

Good luck hunting.
2020 Jeep Wrangler toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Don't let the DEF nay-sayers scare you. We're on our second DEF coach and to date have had no issues. Yes, a deep dive search will find some that had leaks or excessive DEF use, but virtually any system on anything mechanical will have a percentage of problems. Of the many friends with DEF coaches I don't personally know of any problems.

I love the ZERO diesel smell from the coach exhaust. The DEF engines are typically uprated slightly in power and will get a slight fuel economy advantage over the model years immediately preceding DEF.

Your "job" of finding a well cared for previously loved coach in a floorplan you like, equipped as you'd prefer, will be hard enough without adding this to the mix.

Good luck hunting.
Totally agree, there's way more problem free units than are given credit for.

It does take a Technician on a different level to correctly diagnose and repair than a older Engine, but most here can relate to when emissions were an unknown on Automotive engines....I heard the same then. Now we not only take car emissions for granted, but accept/embrace them.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2014 Cummins ISL9 with 20k miles is clean burning, no smells, gets better MPG, slightly quieter, does not clug up the CAC/Rad, been reliable so far. Glad I waited to get a new version. Best yet my grand children will have cleaner air to breath.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We DEF coach has not been a problem. Putting some DEF in every once in awhile is not a bug deal effort or cost-wise. The exhaust is completely smell free. It was not a deciding factor to me whatsoever.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #9

To answer your question....Any diesel engine built January 2010 or after must use DEF.

Our 2010 MH has a 2008 engine, thus no need for DEF
bobguigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Diesels engines built between 2007 and 2010 are DPF machines. They use a diesel particulate filter to clean the exhaust. To me these are the years to stay away from. A plugged DPF cost about $2000. I have seen diesel pickups with only 20,000 miles on them with plugged particulate filters. That is from too much idling. My .02.

Happy Motoring
Don & Susan
2004 Pilot toad
4Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
On a trip to Alaska a friend ran out of DEF and had to take his toad 100 mils (r/t) to get some, but that is operator error (fuel stop had diesel but no DEF) and I expect that to get better over the years. Seems to me only other issues are added cost to MPG, but that seems minor and added components/complexity.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Had 3 deezle pickups that required def and no issues although heard of many, MANY that did...
While I would rather not have it, it wasn't a big deal to me, but our 2011 isl 425 has a dpf engine not requiring def and so far - 35k miles - runs like a champ...
Old 05-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
This what I was told by someone that designs diesel engines, but is of course a "bloke in the pub":
Before DEF the manufacturers had tweaked and refined and tried all the tricks to squeeze that last bit of performance out of the engines whilst retaining the cleanliness required, everything tune wise was as refined as they could get it but then the requirements tightened up and they had no other choice but to make the shift to DEF, at this point they could ease back on the tune aimed at making it as clean as possible which (he said) has meant that aside from any additional problems the separate DEF system might introduce (and the cost) they now had some "head room" to increase performance and reliability every year whilst also reducing emissions.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote