Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #1

What color coolant do I use ? ISC 554 Cummins 350 HP 2004

Does anybody have a manual or have this same motor? I had to pull my starter and in order to do that I had to remove the coolant filter. So I lost a lot of coolant. The color looked like a light brown but almost clear. Definitely smelt like coolant and felt like coolant.

Just need to know what color. Thanks guys !

stetler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 06:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stetler View Post
Does anybody have a manual or have this same motor? I had to pull my starter and in order to do that I had to remove the coolant filter. So I lost a lot of coolant. The color looked like a light brown but almost clear. Definitely smelt like coolant and felt like coolant.

Just need to know what color. Thanks guys !

I'm guessing you are fairly new to this coach and don't have a maintenance history. That age range started life with a standard heavy duty low silicate coolant with SCA/DCA added. Color is not a reliable marker for adding or changing coolant.

You could take a small sample to a Cummins dealer but it may be inconclusive. You might consider draining & refilling at this point. Fleetguard ES Compleat fully formulated is a good choice. You can buy it concentrated or diluted 50/50.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I'm guessing you are fairly new to this coach and don't have a maintenance history. That age range started life with a standard heavy duty low silicate coolant with SCA/DCA added. Color is not a reliable marker for adding or changing coolant.

You could take a small sample to a Cummins dealer but it may be inconclusive. You might consider draining & refilling at this point. Fleetguard ES Compleat fully formulated is a good choice. You can buy it concentrated or diluted 50/50.
Yes, you are correct. I just bought it 2 weeks ago. I think that's gonna be the best. Do a full drain and refill with what Cummins suggest for that year.
stetler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, forget the color and use the fully formulated as required. On ous Cummins used OAT coolant.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. I just bought it 2 weeks ago. I think that's gonna be the best. Do a full drain and refill with what Cummins suggest for that year.
Steve is right. But ES Compleat(blue) is not as easy to find while on the road. Final Charge (orang/red)can be found at most truck stops
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Not sure what I have in my ISC 350. Previous owner wasn't sure. If I use a filter with sca am I safe if my system has regular zerex antifreeze?
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
Not sure what I have in my ISC 350. Previous owner wasn't sure. If I use a filter with sca am I safe if my system has regular zerex antifreeze?
regular zerex antifreeze/coolant has too much silicate (aluminum corrosion protectant. However, it precipitates out of solution too easily forming a gel the same color as the coolant Gel can plug the radiator core tubes. not good!

Cummins recommends a low silicate antifreeze/coolant read the container lable. for cummins engines, it should stat that it meets Cummins Engineering standard, CES 14603. if not , cummins accepts TMC RP 329 (low silicate antifreeze with anti corrosion additives meeting certain required levels of additive depending on whether it has nitrite or nitrite/molybdate chemistry. Coolants meeting RP 329 spec are easily found. do not use dexcool or similar coolants as they utilize an organic corrosion inhibitor that has shown to attack gaskets and seals composed of silicon rubber.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:10 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Call Cummins at, give them your engine serial number

Telephone: Toll Free: 800-22FILTER (800-223-4583)
Fax:
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I use Final Charge in my ISC. I use a coolant filter with no additive. It's been in 4 years and still tests good!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
I use Final Charge in my ISC. I use a coolant filter with no additive. It's been in 4 years and still tests good!
Agree, Final Charge is as good as it gets for MH service and is available almost anywhere. If we were talking about a 24/7 operation, that would be a different story. JMHO,,,,,
Old 08-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #11

My buddys manual calls for standard GREEN coolant. Same motor but 3 years older.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #12

Quote:
My buddys manual calls for standard GREEN coolant. Same motor but 3 years older.
I don't think Final Charge was around when that manual was produced. Final Charge is the way to go.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I don't think Final Charge was around when that manual was produced. Final Charge is the way to go.
With Final Charge you don't need to use a Coolant filter with SCA package. Don't have the
P/N handy but your Cummins shop will be able to supply.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:23 PM   #14

Color is the absolutely worst way to determine diesel coolant. Color can change. The first thing is whether the coolant is SCA or Extended life. Personally I prefer because there is no maintenance of the SCA level.

A very good write up: Diesel Coolant
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins