Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
What does this mean, if anything?

Just checked my coolant level in the expansion tank (I don't think it's an actual expansion tank, but the proper term escapes me at the moment). I removed the cap, and there was pressure in there that caused a small amount of coolant to escape. The coach has been sitting since Christmas. I don't recall that happening before.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #2

I would think you have a very tight system, that's good in my view. Top it off and check it when cold and before you drive it. That's what I would do.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
My 02 Spartan MMGT chassis has a metal expansion tank. It is pressurized, and with a side radiator that cap is in effect your radiator cap. There is a sight glass on the end near the cap to check the coolant level. If you can see coolant in the sight glass, it is good. Mine also has a plastic overflow bottle. If you have the overflow bottle, you check the coolant level per the reference lines on the overflow bottle. You should see coolant in both the sight glass and in the overflow bottle.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks guys. It just seemed odd to me in that I don't recall that happening before. I'll continue on to the next item on my departure checklist.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #5

Does your engine coolant heat your domestic water ?

A slight leak in the heat exchanger could cause that, if the domestic water was pressurized.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Twinboat, I have an old fashioned water heater, so engine coolant is only that.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:45 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
My surge tank has two caps, one is plain plastic and the other is a standard radiator cap with a pressure release valve. That tank is part of the pressurized system. I don't think there is any reason to take the cap off with pressure in the system as you check the coolant level with the engine cold.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #8

Depending on the location of the sight glass on the side of the expansion tank, the proper procedure may be to check the coolant level at ops temp, not cold. The expansion tank is designed to capture expanding coolant at ops temp. If you check it cold, and see coolant in the glass, you really don't know how full the tank is. If above the glass when cold, you may actually be too full, so an additional "overflow" tank is required because the coolant has no place to expand. Opinions vary, but I have checked my ISL400 only when at ops temp for 14 years and 178k miles--no overflow tank and no coolant issues......?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote