Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2021, 12:16 AM   #1

What filter is this? ISC on a 2000 Monaco Windsor

I craw under the coach toady to do some check, and found one filter seems to be neglected for a while now. The blue filter is suppose to be the oil filter. The mysterious filter is right beside the oil filter toward the direction of the front of the coach.
I tried to wipe the dirt and grease to see any words, but not successful. Can anyone tell what filter is this? (Secondary oil filter? Hydraulic fan filter?) It can't be the fuel filter, because they are elsewhere. Plus, it looks like it is not connected to anything? One end of the filter has some glue like thing, might got plugged deliberately.

By the way, the coach is 2000 Monaco Windsor. Engine is Cummins ISC 8.3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	346295  
Sinyyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 03:38 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That looks like a coolant filter. Same spot as on my ISL.

If you have your engine serial #, you can create an account with Cummins QuickServe: https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html
It has engine diagrams with component locations and a lot of other info. Although not the easiest site to navigate.

You can also download an owners manual from here: https://www.monacocoach.com/rv-owners-manuals
It has discussion on the required coolant SCA concentration etc.

If you put your coach info on your signature, it will automatically add that to all your posts.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
looks like is was abandoned in place.
You could just remove it if you want to clean up the space.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:14 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a manual the filter is listed in it.
This is the coolant filter, the original coolant required SCA's which is an additive for the coolant that helps prevent corrosion and cavitation. This requires the coolant to be tested at least yearly and then as necessary replace the filter which has the SCA's in it that maintain the correct levels.

If you are not sure if the coolant was maintained I'd suggest taking a sample and have it analyzed. I did this ~6 years ago, sent a sample to JG Lubricants, came back good.

You could also do a coolant flush and changed to a long life coolant.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
looks like is was abandoned in place.
You could just remove it if you want to clean up the space.

Not sure I understand.

To make it clear, certainly the COOLANT FILTER can be removed so you can clean the block, but you MUST have one or coolant will all pour out as soon as the engine is started.

Now, WHICH coolant filter you need depends on what coolant chemistry you have. The newer generation long-life coolants take a filter BLANK which has full filtration, but no chemical additives. If you have the old style "with added SCA" coolant, you must test the coolant and use the appropriate coolant filter to give you the recommended dose of SCA.

Bottom line-- coolant is IMPORTANT to your linered engine. If in doubt, flush and replace it. Lots less $$ than a new engine.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
If you look closely at your picture, there is a rusty, caked up valve on the right side of the filter at the top. That is the valve that is used to shut the coolant flow when servicing the water filter. It is a simple 1/4 valve that should operate freely. If the handle is pointing up and down, it is open, if side to side it is closed. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3248.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	346382

This photo shows on my ISL. The valve is in the open position. When it is closed you could run it without a filter but as mentioned earlier, it is best to replace it with the right filter for your coolant and additives that are needed to keep it to spec. There are also filters that just filter with no additives for the newer types of coolant. Newer Cummins engines do not have any water filter at all.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Not sure I understand.

To make it clear, certainly the COOLANT FILTER can be removed so you can clean the block, but you MUST have one or coolant will all pour out as soon as the engine is started.

Now, WHICH coolant filter you need depends on what coolant chemistry you have. The newer generation long-life coolants take a filter BLANK which has full filtration, but no chemical additives. If you have the old style "with added SCA" coolant, you must test the coolant and use the appropriate coolant filter to give you the recommended dose of SCA.

Bottom line-- coolant is IMPORTANT to your linered engine. If in doubt, flush and replace it. Lots less $$ than a new engine.
Exactly! The test strips are sold individually. I mistakenly bought a whole container of them, got home and read the label closer. They expire in one year.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:31 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Not sure I understand.

I though the photo was showing a coolant filter mount that had separate hoses the fed in/out of it (like my remote mounted C13 coolant filter) and that the hoses had been removed (plugged at the other end) so the coolant filter was not capable of being used. I did not realize the coolant flowed internally through the mount. Sorry.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, wind, windsor