Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Many of the motorhome builders use this VDO universal oil pressure sending unit number 360 023. It's usually located on the passenger side just above the starter.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2018, 06:19 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Many of the motorhome builders use this VDO universal oil pressure sending unit number 360 023. It's usually located on the passenger side just above the starter.
Not sure this has anything to do with Cummins engines. Not sure the MH builder even install sensors for oil pressure. My starter is on the drivers side and the OP sending unit is on the opposite side.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:24 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Not sure this has anything to do with Cummins engines. Not sure the MH builder even install sensors for oil pressure. My starter is on the drivers side and the OP sending unit is on the opposite side.
A Cummins ISB engine installed in a Dodge pickup has the starter on the drivers side.
A diesel pusher motor home has the ISB engine sitting backwards in the chassis so the starter is on the passenger side.

Cummins installs the oil pressure sensor for the ECU. Some chassis builders use the ECU sensor to save money, but most will install a separate sensor to properly operate both the dash gauge and warning light. Many chassis builders use the VDO 360 023 sensor because it has two outputs, one for the gauge and one for the light.

You might be able to regain proper operation of your gauge with this sending unit. You would need to wire your ECU to the pressure light output and your dash gauge to the opposite post. These sensors are $39 on eBay.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #18

similar problem

I have a 2000 Bounder Diesel with the 5.9 Cummins on the Freightliner Chassis. My oil pressure gauge went bad and I purchased a new one from the local Freightliner dealer for around $170 and only reads about half of correct pressure. After several attempts to get a correct one I just installed an aftermarket gauge.
gswartz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:32 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Damion, I'm coming late to the party, but I'm very interested in getting a better perspective on oil pressure in my ISC 350.
Is that sender you got from Amazon working without the updated ECM program? I'm guessing my coach got the idiot-light sender before I met her, and also the new ECM flash for nothing but 0 or 55 psi on the oil.

If I plg in the same sender, will the ECM be able to figure it out? Or will my Bluefield be able to report oil pressure on an engine that won't run?
Mike
Mlfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:15 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had about the same issue on my 1999 5.9. I found sender on the curb side of my MH. Going back from the end of the block connects to the bell housing maybe12 to 18 inches and up from the oil pan you will find a large engine wire connector (maybe 15-20 wires) behind that connector on the block.

Now let me tell you my story. OP was all over the place. Changed the oil, filter, check the OP regulator, clean it. Attached a manual guage to the test point on the other side of the block it was fine. On top of that there did not seem to be a replacment sending unit. My sender has 3 wires. And, the parn number i got from cummings has two connection wires

After doing much research. I found a cummings service bulletin that came out in 2000. It replaced the oil sending unit from 3 wires to 2 wires, also you needed a new wire assembly to connect to the 2 wire sending unit. The new wire pluged into the engine wireing. The engine ecm needs a certin level code. If it's not at that level or above, you need to have the code flashed.

I had a certified cumings service center do the work.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:36 PM   #21

Geno's Garage also is a source.......770 886 2500....located in Cumming, Georgia....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:05 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
My Bluefire shows zero op most the time. Then at odd moments it pops up with some cockamamie number like 135psi.
Some Cummins owners report success with an inexpensive replacement sender.

I can't understand what's happening with my rig. If it has never been upgraded, the sender reporting zero psi most the time seems like it would lead to the ECM shutting things down. But it doesn't show the 55psi the new system expects, either.

When you were getting screwy oil pressures, how did the ECM handle it? Keep on chugging, regardless?
Mike
Mlfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
For me it was not an issue. Never gave me a code. When I had the shop do the service, they pulled all past codes. They said there was not any codes.

But watching the op drop to zero or max out did not sit well.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote