RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #1

Where is Pressure Sensor

I have a 2000 Coachmen Sportscoach Freighliner chassis with a Cummins 5.9 isb. The oil pressure gauge indication is erratic but mostly is peggeg out on high. So far I have verified that the oil pressure is normal, swapped out the oil pressure gauge with a different one and it is not a gauge problem. I can only find one sensor, the one that operates the check engine light and chime. I can not locate the other one that sends the signal to the gauge. Any idea where it maybe located
trijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #2

Not 100% sure on your model but look along the side of the block where the cam shaft would be. Lots of engines the pressure gauge ties into the cam shaft bearings.
Truckerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #3

Welcome to iRV2.

When you confirmed , the engine oil pressure , did you remove the Cummins oil pressure sender and install a manual gauge?

It is possible that Coachman installed their own sending unit; rather that share info from the Cummins unit, for the dash gauge package; but it will be into the oil distribution gallery that runs the length of the block , down the side of the engine at the same height as the Cummins sender.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies, I will look for the sender in the areas you both described. When I did confirm the oil pressure with a manual gauge, the Cummins oil pressure sender was removed and the manual gauge was threaded into the hole.

When I spoke to Freighliner last week, they did verify there are two pressure senders but could not tell me where they are located even though it was their gauge package installed in the dash. When I spoke to Cummins they said there are two senders but could not tell me where the one is located that makes the gauge work because Freightliner installed it.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #5

Ok , I didn't realize that Sportscoach used the Freightiner gauge package , or that there were differences in the chassis , between Cat and Cummins installation in the chassis . On my chassis the dash gauge info is shared from the engine ECM.
I'd seen in other posts that the ISC Cummins had two senders , but yours is the first I've seen with the ISB and two.

Just in case you didn't get this info from Freightliner , I'll add it here ; it's too bad that they are no longer supporting , wiring diagrams and schematics for chassis of our vintage in their web site.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freightliner gauges operation , testing.pdf (127.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-21-2018, 08:17 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A couple post to read
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/1999...rt-401697.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/350-...or-393172.html
Old 07-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I have an ISB in 99 FL and had a oil pressure problem. when I had it fixed it required a new sending unit. there was only one sending unit. Cummins does not have the original replacement but provides a new binary switch only. It requires a minor wiring change and a reprogram of the ECM. It now sets the gauge just above the middle and if the oil pressure drops below 5 lbs it goes to zero.
This is the same as an oil pressure idot light but a really crappy fix by cummins. I would rather have an idiot light. who drives all day watching a single gauge.

I went to a White / blue bird dealer to have it installed and reset the EMC. Much Much less expensive than FL or cummins.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Disregard my post! Copy paste failed me big time! Sorry! Amazon has $20 sensor that works!
Old 07-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
Disregard my post! Copy paste failed me big time! Sorry! Amazon has $20 sensor that works!

I'm not going crazy! If I look at my post on the Android App it comes up all wrong!
See print screen below!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12p.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	211974  
Old 07-23-2018, 07:27 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I may be listed there but it also state "currently unavailable" It also stated it was for 24 volts. To my knowledge the variable output is not available only the on/off binary sensor is made offered by cummins. I looked everywhere two years ago for a replacement and none were available.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I may be listed there but it also state "currently unavailable" It also stated it was for 24 volts. To my knowledge the variable output is not available only the on/off binary sensor is made offered by cummins. I looked everywhere two years ago for a replacement and none were available.

Not sure but I believe that is 24 valve engines.
Still out there just more money! $25

https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Sens.../dp/B071467VCR
Old 07-24-2018, 07:22 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
Not sure but I believe that is 24 valve engines.
Still out there just more money! $25

https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Sens.../dp/B071467VCR
Dah. must be senior moment . Looks like some may still find it. I was unable to do so. Commins did tell me it was unavailable and that the engine only needs 5 or more pounds of pressure to be OK> to late for me and very costly too.
It cost me over $200 to get the repair at a dealer plus the cost of the stupid switch and now my oil pressure needle never moves.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #13

I orderd and just received this oil pressure sensor from amazon (New Oil Pressure Sensor for Cummins Dodge 98.5 - 02 24V 4921511). Installed it last night and my oil pressure indication problem was solved. No more erratic gauge movement with it pegged out on high. Do not go to FL or Cummins to have a swithch installed and computer reprogramed for hundreds and hundreds of dollars. This is a direct replacement for the old malfunctioning sensor and it takes 5 minutes to replace.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Still working fine on my ISC 8.3 Also!
I found it on another forum and what the heck for $20 worth a try!
I connected wire and turned on key, connected air hose with gauge and regulator,
Ran it up and down and work perfect on gauge and ScanGaugeD.