Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #1

Which Cummins engine ???

Hi all, looking at some coaches in the 37-40 ft length. Are there any "better" engines I should add a few points for ? Any I should steer away from ? I understand the higher the torque the better power for mountain driving but there seem to be a LOT of different ones. Thanks, Ken
kengardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
About how old? Are you looking new or used?
Old 07-20-2021, 12:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengardner View Post
Hi all, looking at some coaches in the 37-40 ft length. Are there any "better" engines I should add a few points for ? Any I should steer away from ? I understand the higher the torque the better power for mountain driving but there seem to be a LOT of different ones. Thanks, Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
About how old? Are you looking new or used?

The questions by discom are important as they will change the available choices.

In general, assuming you are asking about diesel engines, that size coach can have anywhere from a sub-300 hp engine to over 400 hp. The engine could be a CAT or Cummins, though you are asking only about Cummins, but the CAT is only in older coaches. Which ever engine you find, they are all robust and reliable, but each will have possible issues based on the particular year and model. You'll need to ask when you have a specific engine in mind.

Over all, the rule of thumb is to get an engine with 1 hp for every 100 lbs. of coach GVCW. Again, general rule, but gets you in the ball park.

For your range of sizes, you will find anything from an ISB to an ISL. All are good, but all have issues, depending on the year. The ISC is a real workhorse that would be the smallest I would consider in the larger coach. The ISL is essentially the same strong engine with a longer stroke. A great engine.

A Cummins ISC or ISL, built prior to 2004 model year, will have the CAPS fuel injection system that was later replaced by the newer, more reliable, Common Rail. CAPS should not be a deal breaker as long as the lift pump has been maintained and/or replaced and monitored regularly.

Rather than go through the weaknesses of certain engine models, it's better to wait for your proposed choice to be mentioned. Then, you will get many responses as to what to look for or what to avoid.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:35 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the 8.3 with 360hp & a bit over 1,000 in torque for my 42’ MH. I get 8mpg and all the power I need for the mountains. Just under 60k in mileage and annual maintenance is all it has needed.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:16 PM   #5

Cummins engines

Oops, left out critical info. I haven’t narrowed my choices down but will look for a Cat if I go with pre 2009 . Wife is nervous about the older coaches and likes the 2014-2018 models. We had a new 2014 Coachman Mirada gasser a few years ago and were extremely disappointed in the poor quality. I’m fighting hard for a pre 2009 top of the line coach but want to drive a few of her choices too.
kengardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengardner View Post
Oops, left out critical info. I haven’t narrowed my choices down but will look for a Cat if I go with pre 2009 . Wife is nervous about the older coaches and likes the 2014-2018 models. We had a new 2014 Coachman Mirada gasser a few years ago and were extremely disappointed in the poor quality. I’m fighting hard for a pre 2009 top of the line coach but want to drive a few of her choices too.
This post does help.

2014-2018 intrudes on the post 2016 DEF issues that are currently a very hot (in every sense of the word) topic. Freightliner chassis do not seem to have such a major issue. Spartan does.

2014-2016 (coach model year, not engine year as a 2016 coach may have an earlier engine) are a good bet. Still have DPF and DEF, but with less complex system and fewer failures. Over all, the coach should be your consideration, not the engine, as you noted with your Mirada. Lots of high quality coaches in those years with decent fit and finish, plus most kinks have been worked out or replaced.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
kengardner --

I've learned from other forum members on iRV2 and FMCA forums that the "rule of thumb" for engine size is 100 HP per 1000 lbs. GVWR to maintain affordability of a coach Hence a coach like mine (single rear axle) that has a GVWR of 36,000 lbs. the typical engine size would be 360 HP. Hence I have a 360 HP Cummins ISB 6.7L engine pushing my coach down the road.

By contrast the same floor plan 2016 Newmar Ventana with tandem rear axles has a 44,000 GVWR for which Newmar uses the 400 HP Cummins ISL 8.9L engine.

I've yet to drive in the Rocky Mountains so I don't know how my engine would perform in those conditions. I-10 through the Texas Hill Country does have some moderate length hills with 6-7% grade. Climbing those hills I drive faster than semi-trucks but slower than an F250 thus I say my 360 HP engine is just "OK".

Hope this info is helpful.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:38 PM   #8

You do not want a Cat that has a dpf. That would be a 2007/8. The earlier c7 and c9 are great. It is hard to find the right coach with the right engine.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:49 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Our '02 40' with tag axle coach... GVW is 42k.(combined/towing 52k) has a M-11/ISM-11 Cummins..500 hp 1,400+ torque... 7mpg to 8mpg.
I Strongly Suggest that You concentrate on '00 to '07 Year models to avoid all the environmental exhaust treatment add on BS..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:55 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
After a lot of research on my end I went with a ISM. I found out that they are the bigger Cummins for coaches I have a 2000 Monaco.

I don’t see as many post with issues on the ism and isx not sure why the only thing I can think of there larger engine so they have less work to do for bigger coach.

I personally would not have a 40’ coach without a tag and an ism/isx or big DD 13,15,16.

I believe the bigger the better and the less strain on the power plant.

Don’t forget the transmission needs to match but I hope the mfg did it right.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:20 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I must have bought in the right year diesel. My 14 ISL9 has been very reliable, gets 8+ mpg, Is a non polluter. DEF system is not the later ones with unreliable heads. No Fass system. No dropped Valves. Starts after sitting for months. No gauge problems, clean CAC and rear radiator. And best of all is a heck of lot quieter than older diesels. You can have your old diesels.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:31 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
^^^^^^ What he said. My "15" isl9 has been 100% bullet proof. Def system is still stock from the factory.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #13

While looking, also note that depending how the Coach Manufacturer spec/ordered the chassis/engine, an ISL could have either Exhaust Brake or Jake Compression brake assist. Usually, the higher up the model food chain, gets you the Jake Compression, which IMO is preferable to Exhaust Brake.

Good luck on your hunt,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
While looking, also note that depending how the Coach Manufacturer spec/ordered the chassis/engine, an ISL could have either Exhaust Brake or Jake Compression brake assist. Usually, the higher up the model food chain, gets you the Jake Compression, which IMO is preferable to Exhaust Brake.

Good luck on your hunt,
Smitty
Yup.. Even tho our Foretravel has the Allison 4060r transmission with the Allison hyd retarder, I still miss the Jake..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, engine