Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #1

Who makes Cummins belt tensioners?

Getting ready to change belts and belt tensioner and have been reading all the posts I can find about it.
Several times posters have commented to make sure you get a "genuine cummins belt tensioner". Got me to wondering who makes the tensioner for Cummins? Is it manufactured by Cummins or does another company make it for them? Anybody know?
Not a lot of difference in price between a Cummins and Dayco tensioner which also has me wondering if the same company makes them.
Kind of like where I used to work at a Infant formula company. We would make another companies formula. The only difference between our formula and theirs was we would stop the machines and change from our label to theirs.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2019, 09:59 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd bet your right that dayco makes them for cummings.

look at this thread of mine about Tensionors & idlers bearings.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/diese...gs-386193.html

do what i do carry some extra bearings.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:09 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
I see many of them I'm not sure Cummins has just one vendor, I've actually taken them out of a Cummins box and had Gates stamped in tensioner

But good for you to replace it, belt and tensioner should be replaced as a set.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Cummins in most cases has no control over the added engine driven accessories the frame builder or end body manufacturer will use. Example would be Cummins engine in a side radiator body rather then a rear rad coach. As for Tiffins, they make the belt tension-er in house, or sub out to a contractor.
Cummins will never see the final belt install.
As for brand name recognition. We had a new HVAC system installed at S & B. Contractor asked us which Brand Logo did we want on unit ? Had a choice of three well known brand names.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Cummins in most cases has no control over the added engine driven accessories the frame builder or end body manufacturer will use. Example would be Cummins engine in a side radiator body rather then a rear rad coach. As for Tiffins, they make the belt tension-er in house, or sub out to a contractor.
Cummins will never see the final belt install.
Your close but that's not entirely accurate. Cummins ships engine with the coolant pump drive belt and tensioner.....any other parts, like cooling fan, a/c compressor is add by chassis mfg. So yes a rear radiator would have to have a fan drive hub added, the correct belt length would be different, but the tensioner would be same. BUT it could have been ordered from Cummins with all those components.

Chassis mfg. are able to order engine based on the configuration. Easiest way to see this is put your engine S/N in Cummins quickserve and see what arangement it left Cummins factory with....
Old 08-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
You need to do a Freightliner and Powglide (Tiffin) factory tour and you will see no AC compressor or side rad belt tensioner on the Cummins cradled engines waiting to be mated to transmission and installed in chassis. And I know Tiffin custom designs/fabricates the belt tension er for their chassis as they are on the third gen due to in service failures. And these configured engines in most cases will have more then only one tension er on them when they leave the chassis plant as they have MORE then just ONE belt. Of course Cummins provides one tensioner for water pump & alternator belt.

And to take this topic a step further. Cummins doesn't supply the intake tubes, radiators, exhaust ducts, DPF or SCR mated to thier engines. Because when you need replacements, you get them from the chassis builder not the engine manufacture.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Of course Cummins provides one tensioner for water pump & alternator belt.
Mr. Pilot, did you read my post? I only said that Cummins supplies the exact parts that you yourself agree with!
Relax, I never said Cummins supplies any other "bolt on" components..
.....fwiw, I've tour all the major truck, engine and chassis mfg in the USA

Are you saying that Tiffin also builds the SCR/DPF and exhaust emissions as well?.... that's absolutely false. Those components are certified for use on the respective engine mfg to meet model year requirements.

But anything else is hijacking this thread.
Peace
Old 08-25-2019, 03:29 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Mr Mack,
Well you got that part wrong. Tiffin installs those engine accessories on their chassis. Same as they do refrigerators and TVs in the house. They don't manufacture EPA equipment.
Im sure you have been to truck plants, but judging from your response, not so much RV's.
Gooday mate
Old 08-25-2019, 03:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Mr Mack,

Well you got that part wrong. Tiffin installs those engine accessories on their chassis. Same as they do refrigerators and TVs in the house. They don't manufacture EPA equipment.

Im sure you have been to truck plants, but judging from your response, not so much RV's.

Gooday mate
If you say so. What did I get wrong?...again I agree, Cummins don't install any of the engine accessories. Not real sure I can say it any clear. But you said that Cummins doesn't supply SCR....in fact they do.

All this because the OP asked if the belt tensioner was mfg by Cummins....and I'm still not convinced the Tiffin builds the actual Tensioner, perhaps the brackets, bolt on equipment, etc...

....yep, I've been to a RV factory. But we'll just agree that your the expert.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #10

Well this is a follow up. I called Cummins and ordered a genuine Cummins belt tensioner yesterday. $136.00 for the tensioner.
I received it just a bit ago. I open the genuine Cummins box and inside is a Dayco belt tensioner. I cross referenced the number on the tensioner at Ryder fleet products and there number is 89481. Same exact thing but $46.00 cheaper.
Ouch. I have learned my lesson.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgoagain View Post
Well this is a follow up. I called Cummins and ordered a genuine Cummins belt tensioner yesterday. $136.00 for the tensioner.
I received it just a bit ago. I open the genuine Cummins box and inside is a Dayco belt tensioner. I cross referenced the number on the tensioner at Ryder fleet products and there number is 89481. Same exact thing but $46.00 cheaper.
Ouch. I have learned my lesson.
Amazon lists it for $82.73. Thanks for urging me to search for lower pricing.
I'm getting ready to change my belt and tensioner, as they are 19 yrs old.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Replaced mine today. The original take off had Dayco stamped on the back. I needed one fast so I put a Dayco 89490 back on. I am not sure how well it will hold up because the pulley is not metal but time will tell.
banjopickin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjopickin1 View Post
Replaced mine today. The original take off had Dayco stamped on the back. I needed one fast so I put a Dayco 89490 back on. I am not sure how well it will hold up because the pulley is not metal but time will tell.
No issues with the composite pulley, I've seen them run 100,000 + on a over road truck, as well as most cars/light trucks seem to use it to.

It's not the pulley but the bearing and the spring dampner that wears out.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Chassis mfg. are able to order engine based on the configuration. Easiest way to see this is put your engine S/N in Cummins quickserve and see what arangement it left Cummins factory with....
The coach manufacturer can also specify engine color. You could have a Cat yellow Cummins engine

Tags
cummins