Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #15

I think the 2005 can be turned up to 550HP also. What they do is turn up the RPM. It can run 2100 and you caan get them to set it because you own it and it has no warranty. Try whlst on a trip to Texas. CA has too many rules and regs and they will spit on you. Somebody has a computer and can set yours up for you.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #16

Since I use the genset and aquahot a lot it isn't easy to work out mileage based on fuel replaced and miles driven, but I to think the ECM is reliable, and it reports that my 06 Patriot Thunder with an 05 built C13 525 hp gets 7.3 mpg on relatively flat ground, not towing my Suburban.

On winter fuel (lower mileage due to anti gel additives), pulling the Suburban, and driving over the mountains, it reports around 7.0 mpg. Worth noting that out here in Alberta, BC, Montana, Idaho, etc. I almost never see traffic, so those are pretty much pure highway numbers.

Can't say she snaps my neck back, but I am happy with how she pulls, and grades don't make much of an impression. Wish I had more time to drive her.

Also worth noting that my 05 built C13 is NOT Acert.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #17

Are you absolutely sure that your engine isn't ACERT? Mine is a 2004 engine and it is ACERT. What is the build date of your engine and what is the first three digits of your engine serial number?
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
My 2005 kcb series c13 525HP has ACERT written on the valve cover.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #19

Mine does also.
Steve
Old 03-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #20

I wouldn't swear to it, but it has no Acert badging, and the manual makes no mention of it.

Clearly a quick google search indicates that 2005 C13s were Acert. I'm assuming mine is a 2005 since the coach was made in April '05.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #21

Distaff, look at the front of the engine and you will find the engine label that contains your engine serial number and will have the build year of your engine. My Panther is a 2005 yet my engine was made in 2004. With the serial number you can call CAT at 877-777-3126 and request your dyno sheet for your engine. It will include the build date as well as much more information.
Steve
Old 03-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #22

I drove the motorhome today with both harnesses installed. Lot's more power but it really puffs black smoke on accel. Fuel mileage dropped to 4.6 from 5.2 :(
Maybe I will remove the fuel harness and see how it runs with just the boost harness. Will update later.
Steve
Old 03-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
I drove the motorhome today with both harnesses installed. Lot's more power but it really puffs black smoke on accel. Fuel mileage dropped to 4.6 from 5.2 :(
Maybe I will remove the fuel harness and see how it runs with just the boost harness. Will update later.
Steve
Just my $.02, but black smoke usually means more fuel than is being consumed; to take advantage of the extra fuel requires more air, which usually means increasing the size of turbo...which should increase HP, but don't know if that would help fuel mileage. Bob
RVNewbie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #24

I ended up removing the fuel harness as it just made too much smoke but I left the boost harness in and boy what a difference it makes. There is no more turbo lag like I had before and going up hills is a joy. The transmission will even up shift at times while pulling a hill instead of having to downshift. The motor feels much smoother in all rpm ranges. On my way to Disneyland I averaged 7.4mpg on the highway, I have never averaged anything above 5.2 mpg before the harness. Now that was on flat level roads and not towing my 4500 lb Edge. I would highly recommend the boost harness for the CAT C13 engine.
Steve
05 Panther
Old 04-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Steve thank you for all the updates. I am looking at an 06 with the same engine and I know NOTHING about them.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #26

Ie2special, I just sent you a private message. Call me when you get a chance and I will help you out with your search.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #27

Hi Steve,

Where did you order your boost harness from? Any installation tips? I'm interested for my C13.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:44 AM   #28

http://www.performanceharness.com

I purchased both the low end and high end harness kits, however there was too much smoke on acceleration when I installed them so I took off the fueling harness (high end hp) and left the boost (low end harness) on. I get a lot more power out of the engine on accel with no turbo lag. Still need to take on a long trip to see if fuel mileage has changed. They are easy to install as long as you are a contortionist. I crawled under mine behind the battery box and wedged myself up next to the engine. Using a small screwdriver I carefully unlatched the plug at the correct sensor and inserted the harness making sure that the connectors latches tightly. You will get dirty if your engine is the same as mine. They do send you instructions of where to place it but you need to send them your engine number so you get the right style connector. Let me know how it goes.
Steve