Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #1

2005 Acert C13 low power and poor fuel economy

I ran a thread on Monaco and Safari forums and it went quickly off the rails with people talking about formula's for turbo and hp calculations. I am just looking for anyone that has a C13 that it's happy with the amount of power, the rate of acceleration and the fuel mileage. According to my Aladdin I am averaging 5.6mpg for the life of this MH. It goes up the long grades but doesn't feel like 525hp. The turbos take some time to spin up. I have ordered a larger cfm air cleaner as well as performance harnesses that I will install when they come. I already have the aero turbo muffler on it. I am hoping to hear from some other C13 owners with their stories. I love the motorhome and it does ok, just looking to fine tune it a bit.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #2

I was following your posts on the Yahoo Forum. Horrible. I know the later models of that engine had big problems but not sure of a 2005. Have you had it at a Cat dealer ? I would start with them doing a scan to see if something is wrong. I know that the twin turbos are not a good idea and there are companies that sell a kit to convert to one. The EGR system also has problems. Truckers often do an EGR delete. If you do a Google something might come up But start with a scan just to make sure the HEUI system is OK. There may even be an ECM update . No way that muffler will help.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
Cat

The easy stuff is fuel filters make sure they have been changed recently. Air filter is big one for fuel economy. If those are good, what is your boost going up the grades, that will help tell if the engine making the correct horsepower. If all is ok take to Cat have them check for codes and updated engine software. If you have your engine serial number I'll get the boost and rpm specs for your engine. One other thing is check for for loose hose clamps or holes in you air to air cooler- aftercooler.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #4

I have not taken it to the CAT dealer yet. As far as I can tell I have no codes and my ECM software level is correct. I have an MEUI rather than an HEUI system and I don't believe this engine has an egr system. I will take it in and have it checked for codes. Thanks.
Steve
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #5

Cat, I am having the fuel filters replaced next week and the air cleaner will be updated to a larger cfm (1200 to 1500cfm). My engine is KCB21422. Any info you can pull would be appreciated.
Steve
Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
Cat

Here is the info you should have 48 psi at full load rpm of 1800 rpm. This would going up hill with your foot flat to the floor--full throttle and the engine rpm at 1800 you should have 48 Psi. If you are not at full throttle and at 1800 rpm your boost reading will not be accurate. Attached is a fuel economy explanation from Cat on the amount of horsepower required by a rv under different conditions. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c13.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	56492  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fuel econ.pdf (175.9 KB, 230 views)
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:22 AM   #7

Hello I have a Beaver Patroit Thunder which I bought couple years ago I also have a C13 525 hp Cat. Mine M/H came with a air system mod, where they installed another air intake port on the driver side to increase air flow it also had a high performance muffer installed it runs along very well with well over 40 psi of boost on hard pull. Mileage could be better in the 6 mpg range, but big M/H heavy most would be hard on fuel when its low of fuel I fill her up I don't much worry about it other then park it.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #8

Diesel guy, any chance you could post some pictures of the dual intake system on your coach?
Steve
Old 02-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #9

Steve,
You mention slow to make boost. I presume you have a guage and can measure from a stoplight for example? My C9 will hit 28PSI pretty quick just jumping on it from a dead stop. 28-30 is about all my lil' CAT will pull.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:12 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Steve, what is your ECM firmware? You may meed an update. My c13 was updated by cat twice for PO. My current flash number is 335-7819 (updated in 08). A call to CAT should yield the correct flash for your engine as well as what you have currently.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #11

I talked to CAT yesterday and I have the latest and greatest flash installed already. I should get the performance harnesses today and will get those installed. The larger air cleaner should be here soon also. Was wills we how it runs with all of that.
Steve
Old 02-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Steve,
Be sure to keep us informed on your results. So far I am very happy with my performance but have not been through any mountains yet. My biggest adjustment coming from an ISC was learning to keep the rpms low and run around 60MPH just barely in 6th gear. I use economy mode almost exclusively.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #13

I installed one of the new wire harnesses, the fuel harness and a new filter minder. The filter minder jumped up to around 15 so it is getting air, will update when I install the new larger air filter. I will install the boost harness hopefully tomorrow. I did get it weighed. Without my tools and with just me in the motorhome I weigh 40,020 with 12,860 lbs on the front and 27,160 shared between the tag and the rear axle. Well within the weight limits of my axles. Not sure sided to side but at least I am not overloaded.
Will update this later.
Steve
Old 02-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #14

Both wiring harness updates have been installed. The boost does come in much quicker, haven't had a chance to drive it very far so I am not sure about fuel mileage or power yet. I don't see any smoke on hard acceleration. I am waiting for the larger air filter and that will round out my upgrades for now. The boost harnesses are easy to install as long as you don't mind crawling under the side of the coach and wiggling up into a small area and trying to get both arms around everything. Plan on getting dirty..... I will update this in a few weeks when I take it out the next time. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
Steve