Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #1

2005 c-7 overheating and running slightly hot when not under load.

I really need some advice. I have a 2006 Revolution with a c-7 350 hp, rear radiator. Last year I experienced some uncalled for overheating when climbing moderate grades. I did the usual complete cleaning of the cooling fins and had the system flushed, thermostats replaced and ELC replaced. I thought I had the problem licked and headed out on a trip to Utah.

I am now in the middle of nowhere, Torrey Utah. The coach appears to be running above normal temperature even when on the flat. When I come to a grade it really overheats requiring me to pull over for cool down and then proceed in 2nd gear and complete the climb at no more than 20 mph.

I have heard the engine is also equipped with a "coolant temperature regulator" that should be periodically replaced. Is this different than the thermostats? Has anyone replaced this regulator? Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated.
flaresadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I think the coolant temperature regulator is the thermostats. Are you getting engine overtemp warnings or watching the temp gauge? Often the radiator needs to be cleaned more than once a year depending on the oil/dirt accumulation.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Sounds like a air lock in the system
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #4

Your revolution has to be a 2005 non le or older FYI to have a rear rad and c7.

What temps were you hitting? My guess, since you just worked on coolant system is like the above poster, that there is perhaps airlock.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #5

It is a non LE model, 38b. I actually had the system flushed, etc, last fall. I took one short trip and then it was in storage for the winter. This spring I drove it from Oregon to Montana and it seemed okay. Now this trip and it all seems worse than before I flushed the system. It normally runs at 200 degrees but this trip it seems to be running just a bit above that on flat road. On the hills the temperature start climbing early in the hill and reaches 220 when the overheat alarms start going off. I have looked and there does not appear to be any oil or dirt blocking either side of the radiator.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Make sure your radiator fan is working properly. You should have air being pushed out to the rear of your coach if the fan is working. If not, you might have broken a serpentine belt. You can visually inspect the belt from outside under the coach, but replacing it will require access from inside the coach.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I would give the rad and CAC a good cleaning again with plenty of simple green
and flushed with lots of low pressure water.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Sammie,
You forgot the tell him to remove all women and small children and have a lot of
band-aids.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #9

The fan appears to be operating correctly. I like the idea of an airlock but wouldn't think that would occur so long after the collect change?
Old 09-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaresadog View Post
It is a non LE model, 38b. I actually had the system flushed, etc, last fall. I took one short trip and then it was in storage for the winter. This spring I drove it from Oregon to Montana and it seemed okay. Now this trip and it all seems worse than before I flushed the system. It normally runs at 200 degrees but this trip it seems to be running just a bit above that on flat road. On the hills the temperature start climbing early in the hill and reaches 220 when the overheat alarms start going off. I have looked and there does not appear to be any oil or dirt blocking either side of the radiator.
Are you sure it has the right thermostats? It should be running around 190 on the highways unless it is really hot outside or you are going up a steep grade and/or towing. At least that is the reading I get with my C-7.

As a thought you might try taking it to a CAT dealer and have them run diagnositics. Peterson CAT is in Oregon and they have been good to me.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #11

I didn't know if diagnostics would show anything but that's my next plan. Too far away fro oregon so will try and find a dealer closer to my route. Cat changed the thermostats so hopefully they are correct.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #12

Flaresadog,
Have you verified you have enough coolant? Is your tank at the right level? I noticed after my system was flushed and new tstat put it it was at the right level at the dealer, but after about 4 hours of usage I was low and had to add about a gallon. It is now fine. You have driven enough that it seems any air would have been purged, but perhaps that has left you with a low coolant situation?

My C9 runs 195-200 normally so that seems fine. 220, ya, that's getting warm obviously.

Let us know what you find and good luck. Oh, I mentioned non le in my response since your original post said it was a 2006.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #13

Thanks for everyone's input. I will try to get to someplace to have them look for codes but strongly suspect that I may have to eventually pull the radiator. If so, and believing that it will require pulling off the rear fiberglass of the coach, what type of shop do I take it to? Would I be better off going to a large RV dealer with diesel technicians or try and find a diesel shop who knows how to dismantle a MH?
Old 09-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaresadog View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. I will try to get to someplace to have them look for codes but strongly suspect that I may have to eventually pull the radiator. If so, and believing that it will require pulling off the rear fiberglass of the coach, what type of shop do I take it to? Would I be better off going to a large RV dealer with diesel technicians or try and find a diesel shop who knows how to dismantle a MH?

I would call Freightliner of Utah in Salt Lake City. They are supposed to be a Freightliner Oasis service center that caters to RV'S with Freightliner chassis. I will try to find a phone # for you, but I'm sure if you Google it you can get the number. There is also a Freightliner Oasis center in Las Vegas, NV.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating