Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #1

2005 Cat C7 power loss

Well this past week end we had our first problem with our C-7. We were heading to Georgia and the check engine light came on. There was major power loss. Noticed the boost gauge went to 0 all outher gauges looked good. About 2 miles the light turned off and the motorhome took off. No problems until Monday we were headed home. Got to about Gainsville and it came on again and stayed on. I pulled off replace both fuel filters and headed home. Then it came on again. Pulled off in Tampa waited and finished our trip home. The light came on as we got home. It dont make sense unless its going into limp mode. I am going to check the wast gate actuater and hose. It is a 2005 Winnebago with 30,000 miles on it. I do need to get some type of scan tool. Has any one had a problem like this? Thanks Eric
lilblueduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your troubles. A ScanGauge D should be able to read codes, but is all else fails pay a shop an hour or two to tell you precisely what the issue is.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Waterview202
I would suggest taking to a cat mechanic and have your software updated.
Waterview202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #4

Do not bother with Scan gauge> Get to a cat dealer and have him check for trouble codes. Do not fool around as if it is something serious driving the unit could make matters worse. You can take the unit elsewhere for actual repairs if you wish.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Eric, one more thing to try. Check your air filter.

Jerry
Old 02-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #6

Drive to a Auto Zone and have them put a scanner on it if they have one. Could be wastegate bu sounds more like water in the fuel. Did you check the old filters or do you ahve the ones with a drain? Most problems witha diesel are very simple and wehn it's intermittent it could be a loose plug too, losing ECM contact.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #7

I don't think Auto Zone can do HD diesel scans. Only OBD. Hand held Diesel scanners are not inexpensive. One that will do the same scans as a Cat dealer is probably $1000 plus. For one hours labor you can get a quick answer from the pros.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Had very same happen to my ISM500, problem was bad intake air pressure sensor, so the computer would not give fuel. Key was no boost sensibg, not shown on gauge.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #9

Thanks every one. Lots of good info. Here is what i have come up with. The air filter is new no leaks in the piping. No water in the fuel tank. I cut the fuel filters apart. They look great. About 4 drops of water in the bowl. All looks good. I am going to pull the engine cover and take a look. We have been having alot of problems with squerls making nest all over the place. What is nutz it will loose boost preasure then kick back in. So i am also thinking boost pressure switch or wiring. I have access to cummins insite program. But not to many people have the cat software around here. I have a Genisys 5.0 scanner and am looking in to getting the HD up date and get the j1939 cable. I did find some around here that has the cat software and he is comming over Monday to scan the bus. I just dont want to drive it and caused any more damage. We are going to check the codes and run a Huei pump pressure test. Make sure it all checks out. It just drives me crazy not knowing whats wrong. I guess its the Mechanic in me. Thanks again every one. Eric
Old 03-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #10

I had a 3406e CAt that lost boost for a second and would go on but it was driving me crazy because I thought the electronics were faulty. 3 days and 1800 mi. found a faulty overboost sensor. I just happened to be looking at the Boost P gauge AKA Manifold Boost and it kicked to 99 in Boost for a 10th of a second and the engine jerked and went to normal. Knew at that time what it was. All this time I blamed it on the ECU and spent about 5 hrs on the phone with mechanics and engineers. Did'nt know for sure about AutoZone. So sorry.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
I wouldn't spend much time looking at the wastegate - they are simple devices that usually either work all the time or quit working all the time. Rarely do they have a problem that comes and goes.

The computer will go into a de-rated power mode when it detects certain faults. Those error codes are stored for diagnostic use, which is why moisheh advised you to get to a Cat dealer. The condition is obviously intermittent - you might not ever figure it out without the stored error codes.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #12

Thanks for all the good info. The coolant sensor was bad. I cant beleve they put the engine to derate with a low water code. I can see a over heating code but not low coolant. I used a freinds cat software to check it. I guess i owe him one when he has problems with a cummins... Has any one figuerd out the code for the data center in the dash of a frightliner? There is a place there you can get engine codes if you had the codes to get into it. Thanks again every one...
Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know where the temp sender is located in the C7, but if most temp senders go dry, they won't show hot. Without the low coolant de-rate drawing your attention, a loss of coolant could result in major damage.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilblueduce View Post
Has any one figuerd out the code for the data center in the dash of a frightliner?
Our rig isn't stored nearby and I can't find the code in any of the files I have on the home computer, but it is known and had been shared in an RV forum somewhere. I'll try to remember to look for it the next time I check on the RV.

Tags
cat, power