Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2021, 07:43 AM   #1

2006 C7 has low boost when cold

Hello, I have a occasional low power problem with my 2006 Fleetwood Bounder 38S with a 300 HP Cat C7. Occasionally, when first taking off ( summer of winter ) after idling for 5 minutes or so it has no power, then after a mile of driving it comes to life like there was never a problem. There are no warning lights, My Scan gauge shows no codes as well. I just set the Scan gauge to show, boost, water temp, and throttle position. Well, when the problem happened this time the gauge showed 2 pounds of boost when it was floored ( water temp 150) after a half mile boost went to 20 pounds. Do you folks have any ideas what to look for? Fuel and air filter are new, 70,000 miles on the engine. Do any of you recommend a Cat service center near Flint Mi? Thanks
mustang392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2021, 07:56 AM   #2

Yes, there is a built in "reduce power" until certain engine temperature conditions are met.

You can contact Caterpillar Corp with your engine serial number to see if your is working as designed.

Caterpillar Corp 877 777-3126
Old 11-06-2021, 05:22 AM   #3

Thank you.
Old 11-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #4

Hmmm,
Well, in the 10 years and 100,800 miles of ownership of our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, I've never experienced any low power in colder engine operations. I don't make a habit of it but, I can full throttle ours right after I start it. It's not something I do daily. The only issue I have with our C-7 is, when it's dead cold, it produces some VERY HIGH oil pressure. THAT'S why I don't do much throttle for the first few miles of a trip, if I can help it.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:33 PM   #5
Cat

C-7 cold start strategy Click image for larger version

Name:	cold weather derate.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	348291 3126 had the same or very close strategy. Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:05 AM   #6

Thank you CAT, I'm sure I met the temp requirements before hitting the road each time the issue happens, it just doesn't happen all the time, maybe one out of 5 times. I have never had a Cat dealer service my RV, ( I do most of it myself) I am the third owner, and have owned it since 2013.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:44 AM   #7
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang392 View Post
Thank you CAT, I'm sure I met the temp requirements before hitting the road each time the issue happens, it just doesn't happen all the time, maybe one out of 5 times. I have never had a Cat dealer service my RV, ( I do most of it myself) I am the third owner, and have owned it since 2013.
It is possible that either the air inlet temp sensor or coolant sensor is not giving consistent accurate temperatures. Those are fairly inexpensive and easy to change. Hope that helps.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:41 PM   #8

Great info. Thanks. Last winter I experienced the same thing with my 3126 powered rig. I thought maybe my turbo was sticking. I started prewarming my engine with my Hurricane heater and didn't have the problem. I usually try to avoid idling very much before pulling out from a campground so I was pulling out with a cold engine. Now that I know about this mode, I'll let the engine warm a bit before moving.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hmmm,
Well, in the 10 years and 100,800 miles of ownership of our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, I've never experienced any low power in colder engine operations. I don't make a habit of it but, I can full throttle ours right after I start it. It's not something I do daily. The only issue I have with our C-7 is, when it's dead cold, it produces some VERY HIGH oil pressure. THAT'S why I don't do much throttle for the first few miles of a trip, if I can help it.
Scott
We take our couch with the Cat C7 in some pretty darn cold temperatures during the winter, and like Scott, I've never noticed any power problems when starting out.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:42 PM   #10
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
We take our couch with the Cat C7 in some pretty darn cold temperatures during the winter, and like Scott, I've never noticed any power problems when starting out.
If you use a block heater in the cold weather it won't go into cold mode. Also in a lot of cases by the time you start- slowly drive out of the RV park or storage and get to the main road it should be out if cold mode. Thats why it can seem to be a intermittent problem. Safe Travels
Old 11-08-2021, 02:46 PM   #11

We have had our 2006 C7 from new and now with 55,000 miles, And yes I have had felt a derate of sorts as it is meant to be. It goes to full power within couple of minutes.
the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
If you use a block heater in the cold weather it won't go into cold mode. Also in a lot of cases by the time you start- slowly drive out of the RV park or storage and get to the main road it should be out if cold mode. Thats why it can seem to be a intermittent problem. Safe Travels
I always use the block heater below freezing, so I guess that is why I've never experienced the derate.
Thanks for the information.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I always use the block heater below freezing, so I guess that is why I've never experienced the derate.
Thanks for the information.
The 1st 10 years or so of ownership I would turn on the block heater and thinking it was working and have never owned any diesel engine before I did not know what to expect. .When I realized it was not on. I started looking, The heater was never on the few times I needed it. Now that I plug the heater in directly I do not have that derate.

So use your block heater as I do now anytime it's a little chilly
the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #14
Cat

If the block heater is on and working you should be able to put you hand on the upper radiator tank and feel the warmth. It will not be hot but just warm. Some temperature gauges will show that the needle is just off the cold stop. Actual water temperate will vary depending on how cold the ambient is. But as rough rule coolant temp in the block is 60-75 degrees with block heater on. Safe Travels