Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 09:01 PM   #1

2008 C-9 DPF system

There has been some discussion on this subject. Seeing though I just went through what some of the Cat owners were wondering about I though I would share. When we first got this RV we of course knew nothing about the DPF and the Dealer did not either. So where the DPF switch was I am not sure but on the way home from the Dealer the hot exhaust light came on the engine de-rated and the DPF light came off and on. This all was in a 600 mile trip. Called the CAT guy to do a road trip to the RV park later on and he said there was nothing wrong but there had been some mis-fires and he didn't know why. Several trips later and check engine light going off and on along with the DPF light and me doing some manual re-gens but the light was only yellow and never red. Time to retire in April of this year so before we took to the road I took it to a Cat dealer. $1048 later... The out come was that out of four sensors on the ATR we replaced one and two sensors. They also added a fluid to help clean the system while they manually re-gened the engine. Lights are all gone, however only gone about four hundred miles.
According to Cat
Don't idle this engine with the DPF like we would normally in engines without DPF.
Don't do a manual regen on our own, Mmmmmm probably because they want to do it for their best interest not sure.
System will not work with the cruise control on another Mmmmm
System will not work with the Exhaust Brake on another Mmmmm
The last two I did not ask whether or not they mean just the switch on or while they are in progress working....

The engine was also brought up 2012 on the ECM and is also running a lot better. This mechanic SAYS he taught the training for the CAT employees and did seem to know a lot. However there was a younger technician that stepped up to the plate that proved to save me some money by pointing out that these sensors were able to be reached from underneath instead of what the knowledgeable one wanted to do, pull up the floor in the bedroom.
TAGAXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 06:39 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That is good info. Thanks. My C9 is previous to all that, but still good to know.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #3

Cat has had a lot of problems with the few engines they produced with DPF's. They abandoned those engines and gave up trying to solve the problems. Cat sells a tool for cleaning the DPF. Not sure how you get into the DPF but it was may understanding you can do it with the DPF attached. You might look into a DPF delete from one of the few hackers still doing that work. Many of the truckers with C15's have gone that route.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #4

You are correct. That is why they decided to not longer do on the road engines. As I understand they also have on the road CAT trucks that they install their own engines that have a different type DPF system.
Going the delete system will eventually hurt the truckers that have gone that route as in time all diesel engines will require a DPF of some type. The state of CA already mandated that all diesel engines in vehicles that are in the state need to have a DPF of some type. I believe this started in 2014. Usually as CA goes so goes the rest of the US, environmentally speaking anyway, my opinion only.
So more on the DPF I ran it for 1000Miles with no problem and then the DPF light went on and would go off and on and then stayed on. I had been using my cruise control and left it on when I pulled in a rest stop type are to attempt a manual regen. What I forgot was that the DPF will not regen with the cruise control on. I turned it off and the manual took about 15-20 minutes and back on the road. So will wait and see again. I had been stopping and starting quite often and driving low speeds as I was going through the redwoods and then up to crater lake and down to Fresno area.
I will check with CAT on the toll for cleaning that you talk about. Thanks for your input.

Tagaxle
Old 06-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I just went thought that same thing in Pendleton Oregon. $1050 and 2 days later. They squired in the special cleaner ($18) and forced a manual regen (mine can not be done without their fancy computer). The mechanic showed me where to squirt to sauce into the engine. It is so accessible; I just shook my head!
He said just squirt it in at each oil change and not worry about the manual unless I had problems again.
I have the part number for the cleaner in the coach if you would like. I can also take a picture of where to put it in (super easy). Coach isn't here but I can get to it easy enough in a few days if you want.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #6

since this first post I have gone three thousand more miles. I have only used my exhaust brake when necessary and then switch it off. I keep the cruise control off. I idle only when I have to, in traffic etc. I also let my hot exhaust light go out before I shut it off so as to cool down all the exhaust components from a regen. To date I have had no problems with my system because of keeping these two switches off most always. Thanks for the update on the additive as they did that for me to. It is amazing what they do not tell and show you. Cat never told me about keeping off those switches. Interesting that you do not have a regen switch. Can you have one installed?? It might come in handy when you have to do a manual. Do you have a C-9?
Old 07-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yes I have the C9 2008. Kind of peeved me when I told Western States Caterpillar what it needed (cleaning fluid and regen) but they spent an enormous amount if time testing because of possible warranty.....it has been out of warranty for 3 years.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club

Location to put in special cleaner.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Captjake1
I have had issues with my C9 and the Cat dealers I have been to have been very expensive and little help.On the way home from Fl in April we got the ck engine light and diag code of ==failure to ignite.
After $1100 the Cat shop said I need a new turbo [which would have been the second new turbo in 48k].
I took it to another mechanic that deals with a lot of Cat engines and he said the turbo was fine. He did install a new sensor and a new ARD head and spark plug. Another $1100. He did a manual region and said I was clear to go and should not have further problems.
I havent driven more than 100 mi since the work but I took it out Yesterday and the HEST lite came on after only running about 40 miles. This is what is was doing before we got the ck engine lite. We are leaving in about 2 weeks for a long trip I sure hope I don't have further problems.
I was wondering if you had that part # on that fluid. Maybe I should order and try it if that ck engine lite comes on again.
This DPF thing has really been a pain.
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #10

At one time Cat sold a tool for cleaning the DPF. It was just some sort of scraper. Apparently there is a way of getting inside the DPF. Remember these problems are why Cat gave up on the OTR market. They never did get the engines to meet the EPA standard without all kinds of problems. They also deserted all the owners by not doing any research into solving the problem. I will state again that all owners should contact Pittsburg Power to see if they have a cure. If you think the C9 was problematic the C15 is worse with that twin turbo!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:45 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Part number for the cleaner is 308-1504. He said to squirt it all in through that plug that I am pointing to in the picture. Mine is a hex allen screw plug. I gathers not to spill any of it on painted surfaces. They ran 2 bottles tough mine.

On another forum I read that you should put it in every oil change. It was about $18.

I think the HEST temp is normal if is has been in regen mode...but should only come on at low speed (below 5mph)?

...I think I might stop and get a bottle today also...
Old 07-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I also have the C9 Cat engine and I had Gregory Poole Cat in NC change out my Regen system. The ARD head was replaced along with the canister. I was told I had the old style canister which is prone to failure. I've driven approximately 1000 miles since the new system was installed and my check engine light is on saying my #5 injector has an issue. I'm at my wits end with this Cat motor. It's now on it's third turbo. What else can go wrong?
08 Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I spoke with a mechanic at NC Machinery here in Tacoma this morning. He said to put in the DPF cleaner (PN above) at every oil change. Also to change the regen spark plug annually.

He hadn't heard of all of the issues we are having out here. He also said to change oil every 5k (which, depending on which section you read, the manual say up to 25k). Something about a bigger injector pump needing eh clean oil more often. Also have you valve adjusted at about 35-45k.

I ordered 2 of the DPF cleaners and plan on changing oil at 7500-10,000, unless somebody else can convince me otherwise. 5k seems a little too soon in my opinion.

Also, he said there is a check valve in that port where you inject the cleaner. Make sure it goes past the check valve. If not, the check valve will need replacement. He then said to take it out and run it hard for a while to draw the cleaner into the regen system (or put it in right be fore your next long trip).

08 Beaver, mine is already on turbo number 2 and it only has 25k on it (previous owner had it replaced).
Old 07-13-2015, 01:28 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Captjake1, I'm on my 3rd turbo, not including the original. 52k on it
08 Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote