Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #1

3126 no start issue

1999 Beaver. Last started about six weeks ago. I had done some electrical work (R&R the inverter, fixed a broken wire in the solar harness) but the coach started fine after all of that.

Today, when attempting to start, there was no pre-heat indication, no cycling of the pac brake, and the transmission controller doesn't come on. Turning the key results in no starter engagement. Both banks of batteries are showing 13.6v.

Big boy relay actuates, generator starts, various other electrical functions seem fine.

electric step goes nuts. I usually see that as a low voltage indication, but there's no chattering relays like Ive seen before and the voltage isn't that low.

Thoughts?
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2020, 06:23 PM   #2

Yours is best described as a " no crank " condition . No start is cranking but not running .

The root of your problem will be the shift pad not lighting up . If the control modules don't see neutral the starter engagement is not allowed.

There is an inline fuse that provides battery power to the Cat ECM , but I'm sure that wouldn't shut down the shift pad.

There may be on your chassis a VIM ( Vehicle Interface Module ) with fuses and relays related to power to the trans control module .
Below are pictures of my VIM and the fuses and relays inside , look around your coach for a similar module. It's about 5 " square and 3" high and mine is in the engine compartment. Yellow circle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0242 (640x360).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	280353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243 (640x360).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	280354  

Old 04-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #3

The beavers have this aluminum box with a bunch of weatherpack fuse holders and a couple of relays on it. My low voltage problem originally was caused by a break inside this box not delivering solar to the chassis batteries. I bypassed all of that and thought I had it licked. In working on the box I had everything pulled off. I bet one of those relays is the culprit. I'l re-seat it as well as all the connectors on the trans controllers.

There's no schematic for this year beaver and I've patched a lot together from other years and models, which kind of gives you a general idea, but stuff like this is not there at all.

They potted that box solid and it has three long cable bundles that go to god knows where, so hopefully it isn't something else in there!

Many thanks!
Old 04-08-2020, 07:07 PM   #4

If there is no power to the Allison control module engine won't crank as the nuetral safety switch switch is inside it.Most of the time the hot and ground wires go directly to the batteries,with an inline fuse holder.
ronster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:43 AM   #5

well last weekend I finally got serious about this thing.

I chopped the "Aux box" out of the harness and buzzed everything out. whatever problem was there that caused me to wire around the solar issue was now gone.

i started eliminating all the knucklehead muti-splices that Beaver/Safari put in, added a terminal strip to make the connections and put it all back together.

Fired right up.

One of my good friends used to call stuff like this "female problems". As in - it just wants you to pay attention to it.

After being frustrated for about the third of fourth time in trying to find cables in all the mess of cabling, most of which is a good tow feet or more longer than what is required to do the job, I've gotten serious and pulled all the big conductors out to get some room and i'm spending a week shortening long cables and re-routing stuff.

The knuckleheads even used OEM CAT fuel lines that are easily 18" too long and just looped them about rather than shortening them.

Tags
no start