Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2020, 11:55 AM   #15
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclogger1 View Post
Rather than removing the hose is it possible to just put a test fitting in to the same gallery?
I have a C7 and according to our Cat dealer there is a spare gallery plug in the same area as the hose,tube with 7/16 - 20 ORB threads plug.
Any of the plugs along the side of the head along the same level as plug 7 should get you actuation pressure. Be aware this pressure can be 3900 psi or higher if the pump is malfunctioning. Normal pressures will be 0-3400psi depending on engine operating conditions. Be Safe, Safe Travels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WAXcyl.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	280211  
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Any of the plugs along the side of the head along the same level as plug 7 should get you actuation pressure. Be aware this pressure can be 3900 psi or higher if the pump is malfunctioning. Normal pressures will be 0-3400psi depending on engine operating conditions. Be Safe, Safe Travels
Hence the term: "Common oil Rail". all the ports are common as Cat indicated.
The highest I have ever seen is 4,600. That was due to a defective control valve in the HEUI. Removed, cleaned, reinstalled and all was good.

Use a 5,000 psi rated gauge and you should be safe. I highly recommend installing a snubber before the gauge or the axial pistons/pulsation will beat the gauge to death. They offer snubbers designed for oil, be sure it is or you may get erroneous readings. Any good hydraulic supply shop would have them.

Stay safe
Old 08-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Finally have it fixed !

It has been repaired after nearly a year!I had to haul it to a different repair shop and when the HEUI pump was changed, the rod on the lift pump was snapped off and it would run only when the primer was being pushed. He also found out that the head had a hairline crack in it and replaced the inner cooler and turbo. Thanks for all who helped out here. The APR valve was changed before we changed the HEUI pump, so we are hoping that all is well now for awhile! Thanks Again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery39s View Post
Agreed Cat. Also, If the drive nut is loose on the HEUI it can also cause loss of both oil and fuel pressure. I had this one challenge my brain until I checked the nut, it was loose.
I
rabdnomaidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:17 PM   #18
Cat

Thats Great news!!!! Sorry to hear it took so much time and Money. There were a few incidents where the cyl head cracked. It wasn't a very common problem. But thank very much for reporting what the "Fix" was. Enjoy Safe Travels
Old 08-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabdnomaidx View Post
I have a 1999 Newmar Dutchstar with a 3126 that fires right up, but dies again right away.
The codes told me to change the pressure sensor at the pump, so I did and changed the ignition switch. Nothing changed. before this issue began, it started and ran kinda rough for up to 15 minutes and died. Oil pressure is good and registers while cranking. I had the starter checked and re-installed it as it tested good. The engine protect light is on also when it fires up, but it wasn't on when it was running rough earlier? It has a new fuel filter and primer. I am stumped and am about ready to have it towed to the shop. Tow bill is $1500.00 and labor is $170.00 per hour, so I am wondering if I missed something simple.
Any other ideas I could try first?

Desperate
TIA
Check the check valve coming out of the back of the cylinder head. Is it plugged?
charldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:24 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
still not running 4 months later?

It looks like I am going to have to replace the short block and I have found one and the seller says it should work. I am double checking to see if what I know so far is accurate.
I have a 1999 Newmar Dutch Star with a 3126 7.2L cat in it the serial number is #7AS61902. the re-man block is a Reman C7 3126 -- OR-8943.
The seller says that they THINK it will work.
I just want to be sure that this block will work before I order it!
The OR-8943 number that is on the re-man block, I do not understand if it it is revelant to this situation or not! If so where do I look on my old block to find this number?
I have replaced all the sensors - the turbo - inner cooler - the HUEI pump - the ECM was checked and found to be good - replaced the head and when the head was removed they found one cylinder is bad! At this point, I would rather go with a re-man short block, rather than spend more on this old block. But I certainly do not want to purchase the wrong block.
HELP!
Old 12-02-2020, 10:06 PM   #21
Cat

Quote:
It looks like I am going to have to replace the short block and I have found one and the seller says it should work. I am double checking to see if what I know so far is accurate.
I have a 1999 Newmar Dutch Star with a 3126 7.2L cat in it the serial number is #7AS61902. the re-man block is a Reman C7 3126 -- OR-8943.
The seller says that they THINK it will work.
I just want to be sure that this block will work before I order it!
The OR-8943 number that is on the re-man block, I do not understand if it it is revelant to this situation or not! If so where do I look on my old block to find this number?
I have replaced all the sensors - the turbo - inner cooler - the HUEI pump - the ECM was checked and found to be good - replaced the head and when the head was removed they found one cylinder is bad! At this point, I would rather go with a re-man short block, rather than spend more on this old block. But I certainly do not want to purchase the wrong block.
HELP!
You need to call Caterpillar give them your serial number and arrangement number if can find it. But they will have to have the serial number. They will tell you what the correct short block or long block number is correct. Call Caterpillar too much money not to call them. Keep us updated. Good Luck
Old 12-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
3126 Cat starts and dies - 6 months later still no-go

Can anyone tell me if there is a number on my 3126 Cat short block? I am trying to purchase a re-man short block and gave them my Engine Serial Number and they THINK it will work! Just want to be sure before I purchase a re-man short block.
TIA
Old 12-03-2020, 05:00 PM   #23
Cat

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if there is a number on my 3126 Cat short block? I am trying to purchase a re-man short block and gave them my Engine Serial Number and they THINK it will work! Just want to be sure before I purchase a re-man short block.
TIA
Who are you talking to? If it is a Cat dealer they can get with Cat to confirm what OR is correct. If you're not talking to a Cat dealer Call Caterpillar. There is no number on your short block that will tell them which OR to use. Caterpillar parts exchange can tell you if you give them the serial number.