RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:13 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
3126 starts and dies

I have a 1999 Newmar Dutchstar with a 3126 that fires right up, but dies again right away.
The codes told me to change the pressure sensor at the pump, so I did and changed the ignition switch. Nothing changed. before this issue began, it started and ran kinda rough for up to 15 minutes and died. Oil pressure is good and registers while cranking. I had the starter checked and re-installed it as it tested good. The engine protect light is on also when it fires up, but it wasn't on when it was running rough earlier? It has a new fuel filter and primer. I am stumped and am about ready to have it towed to the shop. Tow bill is $1500.00 and labor is $170.00 per hour, so I am wondering if I missed something simple.
Any other ideas I could try first?

Desperate
TIA

rabdnomaidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2020, 06:17 PM   #2

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
How many fuel filters ???
How long has it been since the CAT ran good ?

HJLowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabdnomaidx View Post
I have a 1999 Newmar Dutchstar with a 3126 that fires right up, but dies again right away.
The codes told me to change the pressure sensor at the pump, so I did and changed the ignition switch. Nothing changed. before this issue began, it started and ran kinda rough for up to 15 minutes and died. Oil pressure is good and registers while cranking. I had the starter checked and re-installed it as it tested good. The engine protect light is on also when it fires up, but it wasn't on when it was running rough earlier? It has a new fuel filter and primer. I am stumped and am about ready to have it towed to the shop. Tow bill is $1500.00 and labor is $170.00 per hour, so I am wondering if I missed something simple.
Any other ideas I could try first?

Desperate
TIA
Sounds very much like a failing IAP sensor. If you replaced the sensor then I would begin inspecting connectors/wiring. Sounds like the ECM is not seeing the fuel rail pressure. Idle pressure from the HEUI should be around 850 psi.
If you have a means to T off the HEUI to check pressure, I would.
How many miles on the coach? Oil change intervals?
Old 03-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Only the 1 fuel filter by the primer and it ran great when I shut it down and changed the inner radiator, When I finished changing the radiator, it didn't want to start. Kinda turned over slow, so I bought 2 new batteries and it spun over and started, ran rough for 15 minutes at a time and would die. Now it starts right up but dies with engine protect light on right away.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I did change the IAP sensor.
I can check wiring and connections closer I guess.
Engine has 90,000 miles on it. and I changed the oil every spring before our first trip out. and usually put nearly 10,000 on it per year.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabdnomaidx View Post
I did change the IAP sensor.
I can check wiring and connections closer I guess.
Engine has 90,000 miles on it. and I changed the oil every spring before our first trip out. and usually put nearly 10,000 on it per year.
Lets double check the sensor. Unplug the IAP sensor. It should start and run, see if it still shuts off. Are you still getting the same diagnostic codes?
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Lets double check the sensor. Unplug the IAP sensor. It should start and run, see if it still shuts off. Are you still getting the same diagnostic codes?
Agreed, I had one last week with the same symptoms and it was the IAP.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:23 PM   #8

I'm late to be posting .. but. This file may be of some help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3126B no start.pdf (130.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-26-2020, 08:13 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I had the unit towed to the Caterpillar shop and all the diagnostics readings were within range and it still starts and runs for a little longer now but still dies. They are going to replace the HUEI pump to see if that cures it. I am certainly hoping so.
However I did accidentlly put some bio fuel in it not long before I shut it down to change the radiator. As soon as I realized it, I ran it 400+ miles and topped it off with good fuel, I'm hoping this didn't cause some kind problem.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:16 AM   #10

I'll throw this link in just because your issue sounds like slow fuel delivery to the engine, due to crud in the tank, or lines, from bio-fuel .

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/the-t...er-328852.html.

Since this post , documentation , of the strainer location has come to light , and my 99 DS has fittings, in the fuel line , ( above the passenger side rear air bag) where the strainer may have been removed by a previous owner .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freightliner strainer location.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	279188  
Old 03-28-2020, 09:21 AM   #11

A handy dandy tool is a test hose set. Remove the steel tubing from the HEUI to the head. Install a test hose with a 5,000 psi gauge. Start the engine and check the idle result. Should be 800-900 psi. Have someone press the accelerator. You should see an increase. This pretty much separates HEUI oil pressure or fuel delivery issue.

As the customer, ask the "repair shop" to prove the HEUI pressure rather just replacing on your dime.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:04 AM   #12
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery39s View Post
A handy dandy tool is a test hose set. Remove the steel tubing from the HEUI to the head. Install a test hose with a 5,000 psi gauge. Start the engine and check the idle result. Should be 800-900 psi. Have someone press the accelerator. You should see an increase. This pretty much separates HEUI oil pressure or fuel delivery issue.

As the customer, ask the "repair shop" to prove the HEUI pressure rather just replacing on your dime.
I agree the repair shop should be able to see the HEUI pressure drop then the engine dies, they should also be able to monitor the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure with a manual gauge and see if it drops. They should be able to prove it is the HEUI, before replacing it. If it was an intermittent problem then it would much more difficult to troubleshoot, but since it isn't it should be much easier to prove. Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I agree the repair shop should be able to see the HEUI pressure drop then the engine dies, they should also be able to monitor the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure with a manual gauge and see if it drops. They should be able to prove it is the HEUI, before replacing it. If it was an intermittent problem then it would much more difficult to troubleshoot, but since it isn't it should be much easier to prove. Safe Travels
Agreed Cat. Also, If the drive nut is loose on the HEUI it can also cause loss of both oil and fuel pressure. I had this one challenge my brain until I checked the nut, it was loose.