Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2021, 03:15 PM   #1

3126b - Changing primary & secondary fuel filters on 3126b with manual primer pump

My driveway is sloped and can not turn coach other direction. Even using jacks the front slopes down about 4 degrees. My 3126b has a manual priming pump, and plan to use it when I change both filters.

Question: Will I have trouble pumping all the air out using my manual primer pump with a 4 degree slope down at the nose?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2021, 06:36 PM   #2

If the coach runs on the slope the manual primer will pick up fuel to fill the filters and start the engine.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:51 PM   #3

The manual pump reduces the risk of an issue. I normally prefill my filters (through the small holes) and even that is not necessary if you have the manual pump, but i do it anyway. I like to do one filter at a time if changing both, using the hand pump and start it between each filter. Probably not necessary either.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:02 PM   #4

When using the hand pump you are creating a vacuum to pull the fuel to the pump. It does not matter one bit how much slope you have.

Bill
03Tradition
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:18 PM   #5

Perfect ! Thanks to all (3) of you. I previously tried changing them at my sloped driveway but air was getting in. The river pump would lose itís pressure in a few hours. I took to Freightliner and they replaced the fuel line to the Primary filter. The fuel line must have been my previous problem, so I will not worry about the driveway slope and change the filters myself.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacrazy View Post
Perfect ! Thanks to all (3) of you. I previously tried changing them at my sloped driveway but air was getting in. The river pump would lose it’s pressure in a few hours. I took to Freightliner and they replaced the fuel line to the Primary filter. The fuel line must have been my previous problem, so I will not worry about the driveway slope and change the filters myself.
Just an FYI I have two friends who have the same vintage 3126 as I do and they both have had that hand pump fail. When it fails you loose fuel pressure and it may not start or run poorly. That pump is mounted by two bolts. Easy to access and change. You can order and carry that in your spare parts bin for 60.00. That is what i did, so if you have any further issues, that would be my first thought.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #7

Nose down is better than nose up. When nose up, fuel continues to pour out the filter housing when you loosen the filter. My driveway was slightly uphill, but I could use the leveler jacks to compensate. If you do change to an electric primer, consider installing a ball valve to it doesn't matter if the nose is high or low.

FYI: I have an electric primer but still prefill my filters taking care to plug the center hole first so fuel only goes in the outside holes only. To pre-fill or not pre-fill, is and ongoing argument.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 01:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Nose down is better than nose up. When nose up, fuel continues to pour out the filter housing when you loosen the filter. My driveway was slightly uphill, but I could use the leveler jacks to compensate. If you do change to an electric primer, consider installing a ball valve to it doesn't matter if the nose is high or low.

FYI: I have an electric primer but still prefill my filters taking care to plug the center hole first so fuel only goes in the outside holes only. To pre-fill or not pre-fill, is and ongoing argument.
Cummins states to to NEVER pre-fill, if you have a lift pump. The reason they gave: "when you put the filter in dry, the lift pump has a clear path to remove all the air and back full with fuel". "if you pre-fill, you now have an air pocket on both sides of the filter which could still leave you with an air pocket and the chance of having to purge the fuel pump". I know from experience that having to purge that fuel pump is NO fun, so I so what the manual states to do!

Bill
03 American Tradition
Old 08-29-2021, 02:13 PM   #9

Wow, timely thread.

I have the same motor, same slope, same exact situation! What are the odds...

I assumed that when the fuel filter is unscrewed the fuel would all drain forward back to the tank...

How much hand pumping does it take to get it back up and to fill the filter?

Is the process simply:

1) remove the fuel filter and replace with new
2) pump until resistance
3) repeat with other filter
4) start

Or, is there a lot more to it?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:22 PM   #10

My system had a Schrader valve on the top of the filter housing that is to be held depressed when priming the filter. In my case, prefilling the filter just shortens the purge time, but all the air is purged either way.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:13 PM   #11

Fill the filters period..all the OTR truckers I talk to always fill them just use clean diesel and your set.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
Fill the filters period..all the OTR truckers I talk to always fill them just use clean diesel and your set.
caryt, I don't think OTR truckers have lift pumps, do they? Big difference, if they don't.

Bill
Old 09-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #13

What I found is to replace the water seperator filter first.
Start engine let idle for a few minutes.
Stop engine replace primary filter and restart.
This prevents hard starting.(ASKED ME HOW I KNOW)
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, manual, pump