Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2018, 07:37 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
The original muffler on a pre 2007 C13 was a catalytic muffler.

What did it look like?
My 2005 Beaver with the ACERT C13 (probably a 2004 engine) just has a standard muffler. Did the 2006 have something different?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #16

It looks like any other hd muffler. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1265.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	217319
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
I would love to meet the guy that said he could reprogrammed the ECU.
I bet he could sell swamp land.

Re-writing code, fuel schedules, deleting the sensors inputs and the valve outputs without leaving you stranded.
Come to Sask and I'll introduce you. The local Cat and Case dealers refer work to him. The Case combines run real bad until he does the DPF delete and ECU reprogram. He's done over a hundred Case combines alone. Depending on the vehicle, he'll use prewritten code or he'll do it himself. He works on a ~10,000 acre farm and does all of their equipment. Results are more power, better fuel economy, and cooler running engines.
backagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Not really sure about the sarcasm in this post.
I have over 10k on it since delete with no issues.
There are plenty of people smarter than me that a skilled at tuning ECM's.
Does your 08 have an 07 or 08 Cat engine?
Old 09-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
The original muffler on a pre 2007 C13 was a catalytic muffler. Mine was replaced before I bought it with an Aero muffler. I doubt if it improved the fuel mileage much as no matter how I drive it I get 5.4mpg. It is noticeably louder especially when the Jake comes on.
My 04 C13 is relatively quiet at idle, unless you're standing by the engine, but under power it sounds like a jet engine turbine with its twin turbos.

With your Aero muffler, do you just hear a louder turbo sound, or do you also hear the lower frequency engine note (not talking about the engine brake sound)? Actually, I would like to hear the Jake brake to remind me I'm still using it on those long hills. I would love to hear an audio file of your engine.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
What did it look like?
My 2005 Beaver with the ACERT C13 (probably a 2004 engine) just has a standard muffler. Did the 2006 have something different?
It looks like a standard muffler but there's a few hundred $ of precious metals in it.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #21

The local Cat dealer's opinion was to not expect much change from an 04-06 ACERT delete (that is, the system that holds a valve open longer to allow exhaust into the intake - Cat's version of a EGR valve). They did say that it may be worth while to delete the catalytic muffler to reduce back pressure. They said to expect better low end torque as the decreased back pressure would allow the turbos to spin-up faster. Also, it should help to lower the temps of the turbos. That would be worth it alone.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
Does your 08 have an 07 or 08 Cat engine?
O7 with the ARD head regen system. Runs fine after regen and DPF delete. Hoping to never camp in a Cat parking lot again.
I have a guy in AZ, he flies all over doing this.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #23

The local Cat dealer's opinion was to not expect much change from an 04-06 ACERT delete (that is, the system that holds a valve open longer to allow exhaust into the intake - Cat's version of a EGR valve). They did say that it may be worth while to delete the catalytic muffler to reduce back pressure. They said to expect better low end torque as the decreased back pressure would allow the turbos to spin-up faster. Also, it should help to lower the temps of the turbos. That would be worth it alone.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Well,
We have an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP engine. We purchased the coach, approximately 7 years ago, with 40K on the clock. It had the bone stock, NON CATALYTIC muffler on it at that time. We'd traveled many hills and grades in first couple of years so, I knew very well, how that engine did in any given situation. We attended one of the Quartzsite RV events that's held every year and, was talked into the Aero 5050XL Stainless steel muffler for all the "supposed" reasons.

Well, long story short, after about 3 years with that piece of junk, I'd seen ZERO improvements with gas mileage, ZERO improvements with any form of torque on any grade and/or hills that I'd previously traversed before and absolutely no addition to any part of the power band.

All we got was a whole lot more NOISE. I could wake up the dead in the next county/zip code with that thing. Well, I finally decided the piece of junk had to go. I contacted Donaldson muffler and within a very short time had one shipped to my home. I installed it and, wow, what a nice and pleasant feeling it is again to drive our coach.

As for our coach, being a pre-'07 having CATALYTIC muffler, well, as stated, it wasn't and, I'd verified that with two different CAT parts reps when giving both my engine serial number and, my last 6 of my vin to them and a Freightliner parts rep.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
We have an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP engine... As for our coach, being a pre-'07 having CATALYTIC muffler, well, as stated, it wasn't and, I'd verified that with two different CAT parts reps when giving both my engine serial number and, my last 6 of my vin to them and a Freightliner parts rep.
Scott
Thanks for the story. Even though your coach is an 04, are you sure your engine was made in 04? Some coach builders would by engines before building the coach. Also, can you verify that you have an ACERT engine? And, do you have single or twin turbos on your engine? Twin turbos muffle the exhaust sound much more than a single turbo.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Thanks for the story. Even though your coach is an 04, are you sure your engine was made in 04? Some coach builders would by engines before building the coach. Also, can you verify that you have an ACERT engine? And, do you have single or twin turbos on your engine? Twin turbos muffle the exhaust sound much more than a single turbo.
backagain,
Our chassis, has a production date of 10 of '03. The coach was built in 11 of '03 but, is labeled as an '04. In all the investigation I've done, which for an end user, was/is not too deep, our chassis was one of the first Freightliner ones intended for the Winne/Itasca assembly line to have the new "C-7" installed. Again, as I understand it, there was a "blending" or, integrating period when the end of the 3126 was being phased out, and the C-7 was being phased in.
Now, there are some differences in the 3126 and the C-7 for sure. But, as far as I know, there were no 3126 CAT engines with the valve cover you see below in the pic which, is my engine. As for verification that ours IS an ACERT engine, well, I never had tried to verify it. I just go by what's on the valve cover which, if you zoom in, you'll see C-7 ACERT.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000754.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	217731   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000755.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	217732  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:43 AM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
It is not about tuning, it is about Code being rewritten. Unless you have the source code, you cannot just go in and switch functions on/off. Tuning chips connected outside, all they do is change the timing signal - because they are connect prior to the injectors.

The source code has too many password protections in place. Even if someone has this, once all the changes are completed you then have to recompile the source code. And during this recompiling, there are many internal checks.

Next, even if you use the CAT certified code, you still cannot make changes to the fuel schedules. Nor can you just go into the code and delete sensors. They are all intertwined. You remove a sensor, and internally, you will get a error, saying something is wrong.

You can see the signals from the sensors and the timing, but you are right back. You cannot change it.

I have worked with programmers for engine controllers long enough to know what is and is not possible.

I am just stating, someone is not really the truth of what they are doing.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
backagain,
Our chassis, has a production date of 10 of '03. The coach was built in 11 of '03 but, is labeled as an '04. In all the investigation I've done, which for an end user, was/is not too deep, our chassis was one of the first Freightliner ones intended for the Winne/Itasca assembly line to have the new "C-7" installed. Again, as I understand it, there was a "blending" or, integrating period when the end of the 3126 was being phased out, and the C-7 was being phased in.
Now, there are some differences in the 3126 and the C-7 for sure. But, as far as I know, there were no 3126 CAT engines with the valve cover you see below in the pic which, is my engine. As for verification that ours IS an ACERT engine, well, I never had tried to verify it. I just go by what's on the valve cover which, if you zoom in, you'll see C-7 ACERT.
Scott
Scott I am very envious of the access you have to your engine bay. Does a single cover fit over both the forward and rear openings? I recently had to change out my surge tank in my 07 Fleetwood Excursion and I could not gain access directly over the surge tank like you apparently can.

Tags
ace