Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2018, 11:22 PM   #1

ACERT delete

What's your experience with deleting the ACERT system? I was told it is a computer reflash and backing off the tension of the ACERT solenoids in the valve cover. Did your Cat run cooler? I have a 2004 C13 at 525hp.
backagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I know a guy that deleted mine, although on a C9. It was merely programming and boring a hole through the DPF, then blocking off the EGR.. Took about 4 hours.
It didn't run any different at all. I hope to avoid camping in Cats parking lot now.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
I know a guy that deleted mine, although on a C9. It was merely programming and boring a hole through the DPF, then blocking off the EGR.. Took about 4 hours.
It didn't run any different at all. I hope to avoid camping in Cats parking lot now.
Actually, I think we are talking 2 separate items. I simply had the DPF and ARD system deleted.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Why would you want to? The early model ACERT (pre 2007) is the least intrusive "emissions" technology. We both have the same engines (the 525hp C13 without DPF and ARD). It doesn't get any better than this.

You should not be running hot or expect any noticeable changes if you were to remove it. If you are running hot now, I think you have something else going on.

But I don't see how you can, the ECU controls fuel injection based on sensors like air temp, boost, coolant temp, etc. all of that is part of the ECU/ACERT programming.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAT ACERT Technology.pdf (199.4 KB, 345 views)
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #5

Country B, I agree with you. The C13 doesn’t have an EGR valve and the ACERT system in built in integral to the motor. Just make sure the radiator is clean, Tstats are working and full of the correct coolant and you shouldn’t have any issues with it
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #6

If running hot is the issue I would double check to make sure the fan is installed properly. Make sure a pusher is pushing.
chucksdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Why would you want to? The early model ACERT (pre 2007) is the least intrusive "emissions" technology. We both have the same engines (the 525hp C13 without DPF and ARD). It doesn't get any better than this.

You should not be running hot or expect any noticeable changes if you were to remove it. If you are running hot now, I think you have something else going on.

But I don't see how you can, the ECU controls fuel injection based on sensors like air temp, boost, coolant temp, etc. all of that is part of the ECU/ACERT programming.
It may be the least intrusive emissions tech, but any emissions tech is intrusive to an efficient engine. Any engine should improve when you stop blowing hot, oxygen depleted exhaust down its throat. Besides, I was just asking. If it's a PITA, I'll scrap the idea.

I have in-laws who are Canadian farmers. They regularly delete emissions on their trucks, tractors, combines, personal vehicles, etc. They always get positive results with better fuel economy and more power. I'll admit that their best results comes from a DPF, etc delete. Also, they always reprogram the ECU. So you would not be able to do it without the ECU flash. They're considering an ACERT delete on a truck with an 2005 C15. The procedure is as described in my OP. It may be different for a C13.

My temps have always been between 190 and 200 (maybe up to 210 with a long hill on a hot day), but if an ACERT delete lowers temps by a few degrees or gives me 1/2 more mpg, I would consider that a success. I would also consider removing the catalytic muffler. The ACERT and catalytic muffler delete should produce a noticeable improvement, even if slight.

I appreciate your opinions, even if they differ.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:27 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I understand where you're coming from ---
I have 4x4 with deleted computer, deleted egr, deleted computer-control carb, deleted secondary air-injection, etc. Runs great (I can get away with this as I have no vehicle inspection in FL to worry about).

On these pre-2007 CAT engines its not worth the effort. You won't notice a change.

BTW - these pre-2007 engines don't have the catalytic muffler (a.k.a Diesel Particulate Filter, DPF). And CAT didn't go to the EGR prior to 2007 like all the other heavy diesel engine manufacturers where doing at the time.

https://www.dieselnet.com/news/2005/03cat.php
Old 08-31-2018, 10:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
BTW - these pre-2007 engines don't have the catalytic muffler (a.k.a Diesel Particulate Filter, DPF).
You're correct about my 04 C13 not having a DPF, but the muffler they used is also a catalytic converter. It also doesn't have any O2 sensors before and after it, weird. This is according to an authorized Cat shop.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a picture of a DPF muffler.

If you have not seen the Adept Ape series on CAT engines, this is great place to start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	217128  
Old 08-31-2018, 04:48 PM   #11

Interesting about the catalytic muffler, my 2005 C7 has one that is stamped Caterpillar Catalytic. I have tried researching what it is and have no info yet. It looks just like an ordinary muffler. There are no sensors or connections other than the 5” inlet and outlet. If I were to replace it I would just buy a regular truck muffler and give it a whirl.
Bob
Old 09-01-2018, 05:09 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
I would love to meet the guy that said he could reprogrammed the ECU.
I bet he could sell swamp land.

Re-writing code, fuel schedules, deleting the sensors inputs and the valve outputs without leaving you stranded.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
I would love to meet the guy that said he could reprogrammed the ECU.
I bet he could sell swamp land.

Re-writing code, fuel schedules, deleting the sensors inputs and the valve outputs without leaving you stranded.
Not really sure about the sarcasm in this post.
I have over 10k on it since delete with no issues.
There are plenty of people smarter than me that a skilled at tuning ECM's.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:22 AM   #14

The original muffler on a pre 2007 C13 was a catalytic muffler. Mine was replaced before I bought it with an Aero muffler. I doubt if it improved the fuel mileage much as no matter how I drive it I get 5.4mpg. It is noticeably louder especially when the Jake comes on.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace