Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2021, 09:06 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Adding a fuel pressure gauge no

I’m considering adding a pressure gauge to my fuel system in an effort to help diagnose problems if and when they occur.

Here’s my understanding of the fuel flow pattern on my engine.
The mechanical transfer pump which is built into the Heui pump pulls fuel from the tank through the primary fuel filter then sends the fuel through the secondary fuel filter and into the common rail inside the cylinder head at about 65 psi. Any excess fuel that was not used by the injectors goes through the fuel pressure regulator located on the back of the cylinder head and into the fuel tank.

If I had a gauge between the secondary filter and the fuel pressure regulator shouldn’t I be able to spot a plugged filter or faulty fuel pressure regulator?

What are your thoughts? Has anyone done this? Is my thinking flawed?

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #2

I'm an engine guy and I love instrumentation. That said, I don't think this is really worth doing. If anything, trying to get software that can see what the computer is thinking would be more useful.

With that said, if the goal is to try to determine if your filters are clogged/clogging, I think I would want to do one immediately after the secondary filter. Not sure what the pressures are in the area where you could get them, but I think past the high pressure fuel pump and to the rail they are very, very high.
Ted DuPuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #3

I have added fuel pressure gauge to my 2000 workhorse 7.4l.. I am not the first.. many have.. I can't see what you have.. but members here post.. gm does not monitor fuel pressure and can burn up eng.. Google GLOW SHIFT GAUGES.. they will have all you need.. for gas or diesel.. and all fitting.. it took me longer to decide were I wanted to put it.. then install.. tip hit favorite on line store.. for metal cutting hole saw. To make neat hole.. so glad I did it.. all less than 120. Including saw..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you.. oh you tube adding fuel pressure gauge to rv.. KEVIN CAUDILL.. he gave me idea..
Old 09-22-2021, 08:57 AM   #4

John;
JMHO: I'd say you'll probably feel a plugging filter with your right foot about the same time you'd see a drop on a gauge.

A question . Did Freightliner relocate the secondary filter , off the engine to behind the RR duals beside the primary , as they did on my 99 . Or is your secondary filter still on the motor.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted DuPuis View Post
With that said, if the goal is to try to determine if your filters are clogged/clogging, I think I would want to do one immediately after the secondary filter. Not sure what the pressures are in the area where you could get them, but I think past the high pressure fuel pump and to the rail they are very, very high.
Ted , actual fuel pressure in the system is as John described 65 PSI , it's the oil pressure that the HEUI pump produces and supplied that's 870 >4000 PSI.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HEUI_Systems_Operation_3126.pdf (1.08 MB, 14 views)
Old 09-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Ted , actual fuel pressure in the system is as John described 65 PSI , it's the oil pressure that the HEUI pump produces and supplied that's 870 >4000 PSI.
Thanks for the correction. I was thinking of common rail systems like on my 6.7 Cummins in my Ram, which will see pressures in the 25k PSI range. Learned something about the HEUI fuel pressure. That makes a sensor a lot easier, but I still think probably necessary.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. I was thinking of common rail systems like on my 6.7 Cummins in my Ram, which will see pressures in the 25k PSI range. Learned something about the HEUI fuel pressure. That makes a sensor a lot easier, but I still think probably necessary.
Yes the Cummins HPCR , deserves a lot of respect if you think you have a fuel leak on the pressure side , pages of warnings in the ; Dodge Cummins ; training sessions I took before retiring .
Old 09-22-2021, 09:37 PM   #8
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
I’m considering adding a pressure gauge to my fuel system in an effort to help diagnose problems if and when they occur.

Here’s my understanding of the fuel flow pattern on my engine.
The mechanical transfer pump which is built into the Heui pump pulls fuel from the tank through the primary fuel filter then sends the fuel through the secondary fuel filter and into the common rail inside the cylinder head at about 65 psi. Any excess fuel that was not used by the injectors goes through the fuel pressure regulator located on the back of the cylinder head and into the fuel tank.

If I had a gauge between the secondary filter and the fuel pressure regulator shouldn’t I be able to spot a plugged filter or faulty fuel pressure regulator?

What are your thoughts? Has anyone done this? Is my thinking flawed?
Yes. The best place is between the secondary fuel filter and the cylinder head fuel rail. The Caterpillar secondary fuel filter base has a straight oring plug installed in it. This 9/16 straight oring plug is the normal location for the fuel pressure fitting. Some already have a quick disconnect test fitting there.
Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:17 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

A question . Did Freightliner relocate the secondary filter , off the engine to behind the RR duals beside the primary , as they did on my 99 . Or is your secondary filter still on the motor.
On our 2001 3850 Freightliner chassis with CAT engine it only had the primary fuel filter as you describe behind the right rear duels.

I added the secondary fuel filter with hand pump as one of my first modifications.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:39 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE. . Google GLOW SHIFT GAUGES.. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip on the electric gauges they look nice and have good reviews.

I had not considered an electric dash mount gauge. I was just going to put a mechanical gauge between the Secondary fuel filter outlet and cylinder head.

But I guess that gauge would be hard to read while driving down the road and sitting still at idle probably would not be a good indication of a fuel filter starting to plug up.

I watched the YouTube videos you suggested and those all seem to be class C coaches. I have a class A and will need 45 feet of wire between the sending unit and the display gauge. I wonder how much that will throw off the gauge reading? Using 45 feet of wire instead of the supplied 9 foot harness.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
I watched the YouTube videos you suggested and those all seem to be class C coaches. I have a class A and will need 45 feet of wire between the sending unit and the display gauge. I wonder how much that will throw off the gauge reading? Using 45 feet of wire instead of the supplied 9 foot harness.
The manufacturer should be able to give you this information. I ran an EGT gauge and an oil temp gauge with the 45' or so of wire. For the EGT gauge, an extender box was required. For the oil temp gauge, nothing extra was required. Both seem to read accurately. The EGT is harder for me to verify accuracy of, but the numbers seem plausible. The oil temp gauge I have verified with a thermal gun and works well.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:19 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ii work on my cars and rv. I'm in agreement it's not worth doing it.

I don't have a easy access to a valve to attach a pressure guage. So I added a valve by replacing a bango bolt. Now I just carry my presure guage and I check the pressure every 5k.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:45 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The manufacturer should be able to give you this information.

I did as you suggested and the manufacturer said I could run up to 100 feet of wire without adverse effect. Just be sure I soldered the connections and put heat shrink insulation over them.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 09-25-2021, 09:54 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
Now I just carry my presure guage and I check the pressure every 5k.
My original plan was to install a mechanical pressure gauge that I could check periodically as you are doing but then I realized that a partially plugged filter might be able to pass enough fuel to get a good pressure reading at idle. At WOT the partially plugged filter might be starving the engine.

So I have decided to put an electric gauge on the dash with the instant read out so that if I start losing fuel pressure under heavy load such as going uphill I’ll know it’s time for a new fuel filter.

Thanks for your input

Tags
fuel