Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 08:02 PM   #15

My alternator died in my 97 ford e350 v10 regal motorhome and in replacing it they discovered that the new alternator was not charging all of the batteries. I'm told I need a new isolator and they want $350 CDN for the part. I'm calling BS at least on the price. thoughts?
sbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbooth View Post
My alternator died in my 97 ford e350 v10 regal motorhome and in replacing it they discovered that the new alternator was not charging all of the batteries. I'm told I need a new isolator and they want $350 CDN for the part. I'm calling BS at least on the price. thoughts?
If you know the make/model of the isolator you can shop around for a better price. That's about all the help I can offer not knowing what system you have. Do you have an owners manual with any info? Or if you can locate the device on your rig and get some info from it. Before replacing it though, I would confirm it is actually the problem.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:31 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Some of those isolators can be taken apart and repaired due to burnished and/or pitted contacts. I know people with Big Boy isolators have done just that.

More than likely if you retrieve the information off of your specific isolator you will find that it is only about $50-$60 or so.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:53 AM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
It does depend on the system as when my alternator went out just running the generator got me 800 miles home, this was on the advice of American coach help line.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
My system and most DP have a BCC or a B.I.R.D, which will connect the 2 battery banks together.
If your DP (read manual) will charge both you chassis and coach then you are ok. Most good DP already have this option.
If not then yes battery cable
Well then I guess I don't have one of those good DP's. When my alternator died and I was on the road I stopped at a local parts store and bought a battery cable long enough to connect house to chassis batteries and ran the generator in order to get home and that was roughly 800 miles.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #20

"What happens when your house batteries cannot keep up with the demand from the chassis battery"

I sure would like to know what kind of demand the poster was referring to. Headlights? I would think you would have next to zero demand running down the road.
Only demand on chassis batteries is when you start the engine.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
"What happens when your house batteries cannot keep up with the demand from the chassis battery"

I sure would like to know what kind of demand the poster was referring to. Headlights? I would think you would have next to zero demand running down the road.
Only demand on chassis batteries is when you start the engine.
The engine ECM, the transmission ECM, dash gauges, stop, turn and signal lights, antilock brake control, cruise control, air conditioning, even the throttle is demanding power from the chassis batteries, when the engine is running.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #22

Electronics, they draw much less these days. If they are demanding more that your converter can supply then someting is wrong.
Wish i had the time to measure these "demands" but im not movin!
Old 10-29-2016, 03:16 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Have you read the entire thread?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Well then I guess I don't have one of those good DP's. When my alternator died and I was on the road I stopped at a local parts store and bought a battery cable long enough to connect house to chassis batteries and ran the generator in order to get home and that was roughly 800 miles.
Same here ciderdog! LOL

Tags
ace, alternator, replace, replacement