Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 10:24 PM   #15
def

Send a message via Yahoo to def
The only way you will know the correct OCI is to perform UOAs routinely.

Using fuel, even miles between oil changes is only guessing what is going on in your engine. Used oil analysis will tell you how your oil is holding up, how you engine is wearing and will tell you if your engine needs new gaskets, has leaking injectors and poor air filtration. Otherwise, you're just guessing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #16

def: Why do you state that using Cat's filters gives cleaner oil and improves injector life? Cat no longer manufactures oil filters. Donaldson makes all of Cat's filters. Although I would not just use any old filter both Donaldson and Fleetguard make excellent filters. Many large fleets use those brands. Both of those manufacturers make a high performance oil filter and fuel filter. Our Cat engines were sold to the chassis mfr. with a Cat Secondary fuel filter and NO primary. So the primary either does not exist or it is supplied by FL. These are Alliance brand and are really just a rebadged Racor. I the HD world most users buy Racor or some other specialized fuel filter. The name on a filter often is not indicative of the real manufacturer. Filter mfrs. will often buy filters from another manufacturer if it is not a popular item. Personally I would not use Napa( repainted Wix) on my Cat. Using OEM parts does not always guarantee that you are getting the highest quality in the marketplace. I would invite any doubters to take a Cat oil filter and say a Fleetguard and cut them both open. You might be surprised.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
As per Cat:
Oil and oil filter
6,000 miles or 6 months or 250 hours of operation which ever comes first.

I have also seen it stated 1,000 gallons of fuel which works out very close to the above.
I never herd of this I've read milage or yearly so if above statement is true every one should be changing twice a year.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #18
Cat

All filters for Caterpillar air or oil or hydraulic are made to Caterpillar specifications. And are random tested by Caterpillar to make sure they meet their specifications.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I never herd of this I've read milage or yearly so if above statement is true every one should be changing twice a year.
You will see several statements as to mileage such as 6,000 and 11,000 miles for 19 qt oil systems to 15,000 miles for 28 plus oil systems but they always include hours and fuel used.
When they include that the mileage drops to around 6,000 miles given the
MPG we see from these units.

As def stated to really have an idea of what is going on with the engine one has to do a oil analysis which is what is happening at that point in time.
Comparing long haul trucks with RV's or other diesel power units will not
work as they are operated differently.
When it comes to Cat engines they like their oil and fuel very clean or they will cost you a lot of money at some point.
Other diesel engines are a little more forgiving but will benefit following the same requirements.
All that said it is up to the owner how they operate their equipment.
I change oil every 5,000 to 6,000 miles but I also use a utra efficiency filter.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After working on fuel injection equipment my whole life, including the new electronic units, I can tell you that good clean oil and fuel can save you thousands of dollars and costly down time. The Cat and T444 use the same style injection unit. The two main failure modes on these units is dirt and cavitation. "If" I owned one of these engines I would change my filters twice for every oil change and replace the fuel filter along with them. The damage from dirt I believe is known by everyone, but with the tighter tolerances needed on electronic injectors just magnify the problems. Cavitation can be cause by several things but the most common source is plugging filters. The tiny air bubbles in cavitated fuel or oil attach to the metal surfaces and cause erosion as they explode under the intense pressures. The extra filter changes are cheap prevention against very costly repairs. Just MHO.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #21

On HEUI systems fuel isn't so much an issue I don't think. Yes, it needs to be clean, but on the T444, at least, the issues were oil related since there was no high pressure fuel applied.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The high pressure I eluded to on the fuel side of the injector is down inside the valve itself. The pressures in the valve will reach 12000-15000 psi. Contaminants will stick the valve or erode seating surfaces as well as the spray hole. This sensitivity is why most manufactures changed the final stage filters from 5 micron down to 2 micron. Dry fuel can also be an issue.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #23

It seems after reading through this and other threads, I think the oil filter may be as important, if not more, than the oil. I would like to know what oil filters everyone prefers, or thinks are good ones to use, and which ones to avoid.

Thanks,
Jeff
Spizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:11 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Jeff,
One has to look at the filter spec's as to flow rate and micron rating.
One also have to keep on top of changes the different filter companies make
and do not share as a lot of them just repackage other companies filters.
I use extra efficiency filters on both oil and fuel, the oil is 5 micron and the fuel filters are 2 micron.
They might be a little excessive but they keep both clean and provide back up in case of a failure of a filter.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #25

Jeff: You are opening up a hornet's nest. Everyone has their favorite product. 90% of the filters in the marketplace are one's I would not use. When it comes to HD vehicles there are only a few that even make filters for these applications. Some prefer the OEM cat filter that are rebranded Donaldson. I only use Donaldson or Fleetguard. Both make a high efficiency filter for the Cat applications. I would not use Wix, NAPA ( Wix but painted a different color) and certainly not Fram. Baldwin is a good 3rd choice.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Jeff,
As I stated above no matter who's filter it is check the beta rating of the filter in question.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Jeff: You are opening up a hornet's nest. Everyone has their favorite product. 90% of the filters in the marketplace are one's I would not use. When it comes to HD vehicles there are only a few that even make filters for these applications. Some prefer the OEM cat filter that are rebranded Donaldson. I only use Donaldson or Fleetguard. Both make a high efficiency filter for the Cat applications. I would not use Wix, NAPA ( Wix but painted a different color) and certainly not Fram. Baldwin is a good 3rd choice.
Moisheh, I think you are right, it is a hornet's nest. I think, that the specs are critical. The one thing that doesn't show up with specs, though is shortcuts in manufacturing and quality control. I recently watched some YouTube videos on tearing apart filters, and there are differences between brands. Also, I have been going through trying to figure out fuel filters and the specs on some brands, even fleetguard are to come by. Thanks for your thoughts, Jeff
Old 01-26-2014, 11:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
Jeff, As I stated above no matter who's filter it is check the beta rating of the filter in question.

Art, I think that is good advice. Anything else is just somebody's opinion.

Thanks,

Jeff