Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:17 PM   #15

If been responding on your other post and just noticed the picture from underneath the compressor you'd posted here ... one of the hazards of running multiple posts on the same subject .

From the picture , I now see , that from the time my 99 was built to the time your 01 came down the line , the compressor to fluid pump mounting and coupling has changed . It appears you have a dry coupling , with a shaft to the fluid pump , so the info I provided in your other post isn't correct, as mine is a wet coupling.
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2020, 07:54 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If been responding on your other post and just noticed the picture from underneath the compressor you'd posted here ... one of the hazards of running multiple posts on the same subject .

From the picture , I now see , that from the time my 99 was built to the time your 01 came down the line , the compressor to fluid pump mounting and coupling has changed . It appears you have a dry coupling , with a shaft to the fluid pump , so the info I provided in your other post isn't correct, as mine is a wet coupling.
Looks like there is an adapter plate with a gasket on each side. Here is a pix of the back side of the compressor, the oil and ball bearings make me suspect a wet lube. What I don't see is and shaft adapter needed like you show.

I'm still working at getting it out yet. Loosened the H pump bolts and have 2 more compressor fitting to get loose. Only thing that makes me nervous is that I had to use a 10mm box end wrench to loosen the pump bolts. what is the torque and how do I measure it, other than just rednecking it? A socket will not fit into the bolt "well". Is the allenhead bolt the one down inside the splined shaft in the pix?

anybody?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5088.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	282021  
Old 04-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Turns out I had to pull the coolant tank as well as the muffler so I could get to the top bolt on the hydraulic pump. Used a 10mm 12 point box end wrench with a cheater bar to loosen the H pump bolts. A socket will not fit, so not sure how to torque the pump down or have to just eye ball it. The H pump is bolted to the back of the compressor through an adapter/spacer plate. These look to be the toughest bolts to reinstall due do no room for a torque wrench.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_5231.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	282023  
Old 04-18-2020, 09:11 AM   #18

Can you mock up a same size bolt in a vice, torque it with a torque wrench, and practice getting the feel with a box wrench, both breaking it loose, and re-torquing (verify with the torque wrench)? Youíll only be able to get into the neighborhood, but thatís normally fine for a gasketed pump installation.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
Is the allenhead bolt the one down inside the splined shaft in the pix?
Yes , that's the bolt , if it came installed on the new compressor , you're golden.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:50 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Can you mock up a same size bolt in a vice, torque it with a torque wrench, and practice getting the feel with a box wrench, both breaking it loose, and re-torquing (verify with the torque wrench)? Youíll only be able to get into the neighborhood, but thatís normally fine for a gasketed pump installation.
When I pulled the bolt, it felt like about 40 ftlb. but that is just guessing. funny thing is I can't find any spec's for it anywhere... FL chassis data doesn't discuss it and nothing in CAT about it.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:49 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Not every bolt will have a published torque spec. When there isn't a spec use the standard SAE Torque specs (or metric specs for metric bolts). They are easy to find on-line.

Be sure to use the torque for the "bolt size" torque and not the "wrench size".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Torque-charts-SAE.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	282298  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:05 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Im curious if the radiator, if rear radiator, was removed to help in the ease of compressor removal OR would is help if the rad was removed.

Thanks,
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:55 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesflhtk View Post
Im curious if the radiator, if rear radiator, was removed to help in the ease of compressor removal OR would is help if the rad was removed.

Thanks,
MIne is a side radiator, but I would guess that you will have to remove it. I had to remove my exhaust muffler to get at it too. coolant tank, chassis electrical switch and base plate, drain the coolant... a huge PIA... not a quick simple job.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:14 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update: Still working on removing the compressor. I found that the high pressure rubber fuel hose from the HEUI pump to the block was dry rotted and coming apart at the crimped fitting on the head. Had to order the steel upgrade replacement kit that needs to be installed when I pull the compressor. Allergy season is here, so work on this project has been suspended for a couple of weeks. Wow... getting part numbers for cat products is like pulling teeth... and the prices are all over the place...
Old 05-05-2020, 05:52 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
Wow... getting part numbers for cat products is like pulling teeth... and the prices are all over the place...
Go to the CAT Parts website https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp

Put in your engine serial number and you can see the build list for your engine. Register (free) and select the CAT dealer closest to you and then you can also get prices for everything.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #26

Thanks for the cat website. Currently building a battery box from scratch but when finished I want to start replacing the hoses on mine. The link should be very useful
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Once you register on the CAT parts site, use the "SIS" tab at the top. You can enter the engine serial number prefix (i.e. my C13 is "KCB" prefix) and that gets you a ton of info.
Good luck
Old 12-08-2020, 07:03 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

what you see there is just a spacer between the rear bracket and pump. the H pump is bolted directly to the compressor. Sorry I started a 2nd post, just happened. there is a large spacer between the compressor and H pump with gaskets on each side. started working on it again, check out the other thread.... cracked hose is not high pressure but low pressure engine oil return line. new hose in place.... still not sure how tight to make the 12 point bolts that hold the H pump to the back of the compressor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_5363_LI.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	310724  

Tags
air, brake, compressor