RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:43 PM   #1

Breather

Is there any serviceable components inside the breather.
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2020, 06:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You got me curious about this. I was expecting there to be at least a cleanable screen - so I looked it up on the CAT parts site.

There are no serviceable parts shown "inside" the breather assembly. If there is anything inside it that could go bad, it looks like you would have to buy the entire breather ($300).

I also looked in my CAT engine service manual, and found nothing on servicing or cleaning this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT C13 Fumes Disposal Tube.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	309350  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:16 AM   #3

Yep the manual is where I found it when researching hoses. Would have thought there would have been at least steel wool or something. Almost curious enough to remove it and look but not quite there yet. Come down to how exposed it is when I start the hose replacement project. Had to pull off that and replace a couple of water hoses going to the kitchen slide due to a drip
Old 11-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
There is probably a mesh screen inside it - but not a serviceable/replaceable item.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #5

Not really having any trouble with it so for $300 will probably leave it. Way too many other serviceable parts to spend money on for now. Top of the list after I hit the lottery. Trying to talk my wife into at least 1 mega trip to Alaska after she retires so I want to do all the engine hoses, suspension and brakes. Not really having any trouble with anything but I did have to replace one air line to the front air bags, ppv valves and diaphragm on a tag axle lift can. Plan on replacing all the brake and suspension related rubber goods
Old 11-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I hear ya on the "don't fix it unless its broken"...
I have the Alaskan trip on my bucket list too. Maybe in 2022.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #7

Back in the day ; before gas engines were fitted with PCV valves ; and still used road vent tubes .
Part of a oil change was to remove the breather , run solvent through the unit , for a few mins ; or till the solvent ran clear ; and blow dry with compressed air . Interior was a wire mesh , just in place to stop larger drops of oil from dripping onto the road.
I don't know what's inside the breather on my Cat, but I'd think if you check yours for air flow, and find no restriction , it should be fine.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:02 PM   #8

Haven’t pulled it yet but I do see vapor coming out. Depends on how exposed it is when I get into the hose job but if it’s just a couple of bolts and a gasket I may pull it just to learn a little more. Will post if I do
Old 11-26-2020, 10:09 PM   #9
Cat

It was recommended to wash the screen and metal mesh with solvent then blow out with air. So remove the breather clean it reinstall.

I did find some engines would start using oil and leaking oil from the crank seal and it was caused by the breather being sludged up. But as the oils improved it didn't happen as often.

Some of the later engines did have a replaceable element in the breather, but I think those came out after CAT got out of the on highway business.
Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #10

Thanks, will make a point of it when I do the coolant hoses. Sure it’s never been done. I know the oil and filters have always been changed regularly but at 67,000 miles and 1,647 engine hrs it couldn’t hurt
Old 11-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
You got me curious about this. I was expecting there to be at least a cleanable screen - so I looked it up on the CAT parts site.

There are no serviceable parts shown "inside" the breather assembly. If there is anything inside it that could go bad, it looks like you would have to buy the entire breather ($300).

I also looked in my CAT engine service manual, and found nothing on servicing or cleaning this.

Where did you get the parts listing like this?
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:18 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
Where did you get the parts listing like this?
Go to the CAT parts site https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp
You have to register (it's free) and then with the engine serial number (usually the first three letters is enough) you go to the "SIS" link at top of page and search for the part or diagram you want.