Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2023, 05:42 PM   #1

C-7 shallow vs deep oil pan

Using mark one eyeball I determined I have the 22 quart or shallow pan. Should I care ? Is the bigger oil pan advantageous ? Thanks all.
Iceclimber is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2023, 06:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
Using mark one eyeball I determined I have the 22 quart or shallow pan. Should I care ? Is the bigger oil pan advantageous ? Thanks all.

Actually the shallow pan is 19 quarts-- yes, changed from the OE 22.

Easy to confirm with Caterpillar Corp. Call them with your engine serial number 877 777-3126.

And, the shallow pan is just fine.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:10 PM   #3

Oh, good to know. I can tell by looking but I will fill carefully. More ground clearance right ?
Old 02-20-2023, 07:20 PM   #4

Nothing wrong with the 19 quart oil pan. A 5 gallon bucket of oil is enough per oil change in my mind.
Ted DuPuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted DuPuis View Post
Nothing wrong with the 19 quart oil pan. A 5 gallon bucket of oil is enough per oil change in my mind.
I was thinking exactly that, just had my $82.00 Rotella bucket delivered. Now to find something to catch 5 gallons of oil !
Old 02-21-2023, 07:20 AM   #6

Quote:
I was thinking exactly that, just had my $82.00 Rotella bucket delivered. Now to find something to catch 5 gallons of oil !

I just use a Rubbermade storage tub that I line with two HD black trash bags-- one inside the other. Have never gotten oil on the storage tube.

And, yes more ground clearance with the stamped steel shallow pan than the ribbed aluminum deep pan.

To my knowledge, Safari was the only RV manufacturer to use the deep sump.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Keep the bucket after you fill it. Then next time, drain into your old bucket. It's the right size and then you even have a convenient means for taking it to be disposed of.
Ted DuPuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:39 AM   #8

Quote:
I use a 35 quart Sterilite ez carry clear plastic bin from Wmart, I’ve seen them at CVS too. It's the perfect size for my Horizons oil, trans, rear end fluid changes. It’s low profile helps with ground clearance. I don’t line the bin, I use a solo cup to transfer to old gallon containers then a rubber spatula from the dollar store to squeegee the rest out. I have a second bin that I use for coolant only.
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Iceclimber,
Your question has been answered. But, I might add, if I'm not mistaken, the shallow pan of 19 quarts, (which I'm pretty sure that about 99.999999% of the CAT equipped coaches have) is a STEEL pan. But, the deeper version, is ALUMINUM. And, one other important thing here. Dealing with a full 5 gallons of dirty black oil, in a single container, and having to have to transfer it to whatever is needed to get it to the used oil acceptance station, is one pain in the a$$.

So, I (and quite a few others on here) have migrated to the Fumoto valve for the drain valve on our RV engines. If you've not heard of them, look them up. Having that Fumoto valve on there makes life SERIOUSLY easier when it comes to oil changes. About month or so prior to me doing an oil change on our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, I collect plastic one gallon milk jugs,one gallon Ice tea jugs or whatever and don't toss them out. I get five of them.

When it comes time to dump the oil, I get the engine a bit warm. I slide under it with those five empty containers. I have about a one foot long section of 5/8" I.D. vinyl clear hose that I attach to the Fumoto nipple. Pop the top off one of the containers, insert the end of the hose and, open that Fumoto and let her rip. That container approaches full and, I close that valve. I slide that full one out of the way, slide in another empty one, and repeat the process 'till all five are full, DONE!

Now, I slide out all five containers, and place them in the truck to haul down to Autozone for disposal. I didn't get a drop of oil on me or the floor and didn't and DON'T have to mess with a GIANT oil tub under that coach and then try and empty it into something that I can transport down to Autozone.

The only time the oil change is even slightly messy is, when it comes time for the filter change. And even that is quite easy. I just get a small receptacle under it and punch a hole in the bottom of it with a punch. I let it drain 'till there's no more drops. Spin it off and it goes immediately in a plastic bag. The small receptacle is easy to handle and transfer the oil to what's needed.
Scott

P.S. And all that crap about the Fumoto valve being too low and could get knocked off is just that, pure bull. I and about 99.9999% of the diesel coaches out there have this GIANT DIFFERENTIAL right in front of that oil pan so, what ever could even remotely think about knocking that Fumoto valve off, would have to go right through the bottom of that giant differential. Ain't happening!! Mine's been on there now for oh, a few years now and not only has it never come close to danger, but it's been of phenomenal value in my oil changes.
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:10 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I got a large drain pan from napa. But I like to only fill about 1/2 full. Otherwise the oil lever is high and it tends to splash out when I move the pan.

I put the drain plug back into the engine oil pan after about 3 gallons. Then I drain the drain pan into my 5 gallon bucket for recycle at the auto parts store
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:40 AM   #11

My engine manual (1999)shows the , shallow pan as metal and the deep pan as finned aluminum .
22 quarts is the engine overhaul capacity , so only 19 quarts with filter is the regular service amount. 3 quarts remain in the internal engine oil system passages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil pans in manual.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	386889  
Old 02-22-2023, 06:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Iceclimber,

The only time the oil change is even slightly messy is, when it comes time for the filter change. And even that is quite easy. I just get a small receptacle under it and punch a hole in the bottom of it with a punch. I let it drain 'till there's no more drops. Spin it off and it goes immediately in a plastic bag. The small receptacle is easy to handle and transfer the oil to what's needed.
Scott
But first, make sure you can get the filter off. Loosen it a fuzz first, then you can use the wise suggestion from Fire Up.

Also, use disposable gloves. Nothing stinks like used diesel crankcase oil, and its hard to "de-stink" your skin. And while I'm on a safety kick here, googles are a great idea. I hear rumors that used diesel oil and eyeballs don't mix.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:28 PM   #13

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have a Fumoto waiting to be installed but it will not help me this time. In fact, I do have a Safari but my pan is obviously the shallow one. Also far as heating up, I plan on plugging in the on board heater not running the motor. All of this is fun time talk because it's like 4 degrees here so still in planning stage ha.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:18 AM   #14

Many DIY owners have successfully used a vacuum cleaner taped to the oil fill tube. This creates suction in the crankcase and you can remove the drain bolt and insert the drain valve without loosing a drop.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote