Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #1

C12 505hp hesitates

Anyone have an idea what would cause this engine to hesitate? From idle, there really isn't any mid throttle. If you want to go, floor it, then wait about three seconds for the power to come on. Once it's rolling, things seem to be fine.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassrv View Post
Anyone have an idea what would cause this engine to hesitate? From idle, there really isn't any mid throttle. If you want to go, floor it, then wait about three seconds for the power to come on. Once it's rolling, things seem to be fine.
Fuel filters
Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #3

Fuel filters could certainly be a problem but there are other things to check. what does your boost look like? Is it flat on accel or does it slowly climb as the engine revs up? Are you getting smoke out the tailpipe on accel? How many miles on the coach? Do you know for sure that the transmission is starting out in first gear? These engines aren't known for lightning fast acceleration. Has it worsened over time?
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Agree fuel filters is the first and cheapest to check. And the symptoms sound good for the filters, higher power brings fuel flow up and then holds at lower power levels.

LEN
Old 01-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassrv View Post
Is this a new to you coach? Is this a change in performance? If new, this may be "turbo lag". The fact that once your rpms come up its fine suggests to me that it's not fuel filters. Even though you have a big engine you also have big weight. Your car probably has more than one hp per 10-20 pounds of vehicle weight. Your coach probably has 90-100 pounds of vehicle weight per one hp.

Diesels don't accelerate so much as they gather momentum. Momentum is a commodity you will learn to manage.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #6

Well said! It takes getting used to since there are only six speeds instead of 10-13 in a truck.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #7

This is a coach I'm considering for purchase. I test drove it last Sunday. I didn't notice any excessive black smoke. I didn't even think to look at the boost gage. My first thought was turbo lag. It literally took at least three seconds, maybe more, to get any movement after flooring the accelerator. Once is started rolling it accelerated just fine. Well, I think just fine. It pulled as well as the Alegro Bus I drove with a 400 Cummins. The Tiffin is about 8,000lbs lighter.

The seller is going to run it through the service center and get back to me. I'm just trying to get some ideas for myself.

Almost forgot to mention, there is absolutely no change in rpm until after that three or more seconds.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #8

I have the 525 hp C13, it has a relatively smooth torque curve as I accelerate. You don't feel a lot of kick in the butt acceleration but if you look down you will see that you are gaining speed and shifting through the gears. I have around 40lbs of boost and it takes a little time to build up to that. These engines don't like rpm. Your maximum torque is around 1200-1300 rpm and max hp is around 1650rpm if I remember correctly. There is a lot of information from CAT that you can find online about power and torque and how to drive a CAT. Totally different than a Cummins engine in my opinion. Don't expect stellar fuel mileage though. Aladdin reading is around 5.5mpg for the life of my engine. I am looking into different ways of increasing the fuel mileage. I weigh around 49k so I am not sure it will ever get much better.
Steve
Old 01-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
I have the 525 hp C13, it has a relatively smooth torque curve as I accelerate. You don't feel a lot of kick in the butt acceleration but if you look down you will see that you are gaining speed and shifting through the gears. I have around 40lbs of boost and it takes a little time to build up to that. These engines don't like rpm. Your maximum torque is around 1200-1300 rpm and max hp is around 1650rpm if I remember correctly. There is a lot of information from CAT that you can find online about power and torque and how to drive a CAT. Totally different than a Cummins engine in my opinion. Don't expect stellar fuel mileage though. Aladdin reading is around 5.5mpg for the life of my engine. I am looking into different ways of increasing the fuel mileage. I weigh around 49k so I am not sure it will ever get much better. Steve
I wouldn't say the Cat drill is substantially different from Cummins. My Cummins ISM develops max torque at 1200 rpm and is virtually flat up to 1600. Max hp is at 1800 and the engine is governed to 2100. The Cummins uses one VG turbo where the Cat uses two turbos in series. This may cause some minor performances differences but nothing major. It remains true for both that max economy occurs down close to torque max and max climbing/cooling occurs up toward the hp max. All diesels are close to the same just variations due to size.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:49 AM   #10

I just spoke to the dealer and the coach needed fuel and air filters. The fuels were about 50% and the air was plugged up substantially. I was told the road test was great, there's a response at the moment of input.

Thanks folks for your input.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #11

Hrmm, I guess you now have to guestimate on how well the rig was maintained....
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote