Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2018, 06:19 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
C7 110VAC Engine Heater

My engine heater plugs into a switched 110VAC (regular household 15 or 20 amp) socket. It draws enough current to make the plug warm overnight. It works great, and the "wait to start" light doesn't even come on when the temps are in the 20s.

I recently noticed that it isn't working. The plug was cold, and the "wait to start" light took a long time to go out. I tried again last night, this time using the 30 amp connection (and adapter) in the RV park's pedestal. When I plugged it in I heard a loud, brief noise that sounded like a frozen electric motor trying to start, or a transformer blowing up. The pedestal breaker didn't trip, but the heater didn't work. The engine started this morning after some grinding, but it only got down to freezing last night.

Does anyone know where the heater is located, and what it takes to replace it? Is it inside the engine or oil pan? Is it an OEM Cat part?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2018, 06:38 PM   #2
Cat

Most block heater are screwed into or pressed into cooling jacket. So they are accessible from the outside of the engine. But it does require the draining and refilling of the engine cooling system. As far is it a CAT part or the builder could be either. What is your engine serial number ? I might be able to look up how you engine was Built
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #3

Just saw mine the other day, cat c7 on the block drivers side above oil pan should be able to test power there.
cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #4

Do a continuity test and see if the heater is good, I use mine all the time.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Test Results and SN

I went to the RV today. The ground was too muddy to crawl around to look for the block heater, but I did check it with a voltmeter at the plug. No continuity from neutral to hot (looks like a bad heater to me). Open from hot to ground. 4 ohms from neutral to ground.

The engine serial number is OKAL89017.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
Cat

Didn't find a block heater on the build sheet, chassis builder could have installed one and could have used a Cat one just no way to know without pulling it out.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:24 PM   #7

Repaired mine last year, mouse chewed my wire about where the frame is.just wish it had been on
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:29 PM   #8

Many of the CAT heaters come from a company near Minneapolis (Eden Prairie maybe). Phillips Temro is the name. They make 120V and 240V heaters with different port plugs and elements. Make sure you get the right one if you have to change them out. There is an o-ring seal with them also.
charldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:58 PM   #9

This is the block heater installed in my 3126. It’s located on the drivers side of the engine block under the turbo, left of the oil filter. If I leave it on over night the coolant temp in the morning is around 130 deg.

https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/35...SABEgIFQvD_BwE
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smoked my Engine Block Heater

So the block heater on mine is under the turbo on the driver side. I found it when it caught on fire. Luckily I was in my driveway with a fire extinguisher nearby. The end of story is I plugged into an outlet that has an open ground. The whole story is this: Our brand new to us 2006 Gulfstream Crescendo with a 300hp C7 coach has a single outlet in the power bay and a dangling cord to the block heater. The outlet has come loose from the wall and is on the long list of things to repair. So, I just plugged the wire into an extension cord. Instantly I heard a welding sound and saw flashed of light and then a nice orange glow. I immediately unplug and look under the side and see where the wire comes out of the block heater along with the rubber inlet on fire. I tried to blow it out and that just encouraged it. So I grabbed a fire extinguisher on the wall of the garage and blasted it. That worked. We live in a house built in the 30's and some of the electric system has been upgraded and some not. The house is built like a tank so it is no easy job. As I started working the problem backwards, my question was why a) did this happen and b) did the circuit breaker not trip. Open ground is answer we came up with. Seems that there is no damage other than the block heater so far. I've added it to the list of the things to work on. I did install a brand new dedicated GFCI 20 amp circuit to the circuit breaker box unfortunately, I still have to use an extension cord until I can cut into the driveway and move the outlet closer. I have replaced the outlet in the garage with a GFCI so at least it'll trip with a fault, still a risky outlet but I've added it to the list.
Cowgomooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:19 AM   #11

Ground or no ground, block heater cords burn up.

The connection gets some moisture and corrosion and cause resistance at the pins.

While the resistance isn't going to trip a breaker, it causes enough heat to melt and burn up the rubber plug.

I've seen and changed many block heater cords, that burned up, most properly grounded.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My block heater cord rubbed itself raw and grounded out, tripping the GFI. The cord was installed without sufficient hangers or chafing protection, by the same knuckle-dragging troglodytes who built the rest of the rig. I reapired the wiring and installed hangers, and also installed a magnet-mounted oil pan heater to the bottom of the metal oil pan. I used some perforated strapping to secure it in place. Now I have both a water jacket heater and an oil pan heater.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #13

Our 2006 Tiffin Phaeton has a rocker switch at the drivers seat. Problem is it has never worked. ( the 12 v/120v relay is not getting the 12 volts from the rocker switch) We would go on mostly warm weather trips so very rarely used it. But have used it a couple times or thought I was using the block heater.

Last winter real cold 10 deg. slow real slow start. After looking around I unpluged the heater in the ele. bay and hard plugged into a cord WOW what a difference all to say use it and make sure it works wish I could take back some of those hard long starts.

The extension cord I use does get warm and the heater plug wiring looks weak can it be rewired from the heater element to the male plug end? Thanks, Joe
the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #14

Yes I rewired mine with heavy wire and a plug Incase I needed to unplug in a hurry. As stated in an earlier post, support and cover to be sure it doesn’t chafe. Cats need there heater.
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, heat, heater