Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #1

C7 belt tensioners failed

What are the chances that both the water pump tensioner and the main belt tensioner failed at the same time? That is apparently what happened to me. Of course the belts went with them. One failing is understandable. Two at the same time is difficult to understand. I knew it was time to change the belts but was having difficulty getting a service appointment between trips. (Service availability in my area is a different rant.)

I would like to hear of possible scenarios where two tensioners fail at the same time or close to the same time.

Driving west out of Detroit, Low battery warning illuminates, then a fault for auto idle, then check engine, Then engine high temperature warning, then engine protect light.

Then I dropped it off at Cummings Bridgeway for repair. It was very close to where the incident occurred.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
What are the chances that both the water pump tensioner and the main belt tensioner failed at the same time? That is apparently what happened to me. Of course the belts went with them. One failing is understandable. Two at the same time is difficult to understand. I knew it was time to change the belts but was having difficulty getting a service appointment between trips. (Service availability in my area is a different rant.)

I would like to hear of possible scenarios where two tensioners fail at the same time or close to the same time.

Driving west out of Detroit, Low battery warning illuminates, then a fault for auto idle, then check engine, Then engine high temperature warning, then engine protect light.

Then I dropped it off at Cummings Bridgeway for repair. It was very close to where the incident occurred.
Well,
At first guess, I might think that, when the first tensioner fails, no matter which one, and that caused a belt to dislodge and or break, that broken belt may, just may, have interfered with the operation of the other belt and its tensioner. And that may have been enough of a disruption of service that, the second belt and tensioner failed due to the first one causing a "jamb up" of close proximity of all those belt parts. Just a guess.

But, I'd say that in all reality, for both tensioners to fail simultaneously, is about the same as me winning the lotto, ANY LOTTO.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:40 AM   #3

belts and tensioners

As a truck mechanic I wanted to check belts and tensioners on my new to me 03 3126.Found tensioner bearings noisy,idler pulley falling apart and bearings loose and bad on water pump idler.Only 46k but time takes its toll on sealed bearings.Glad it happened to you so close to a shop that could repair it! Happy traveles Ronster
ronster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #4

There's a certain amount of logic that would figure the tech was in there replacing the belts, found one tensioner shot, and replaced the second figuring it wasn't going to be long before that one let go as well? He did that second one as a sort of preventative maintenance....

Does your coach have a grease fitting on the water pump? If so, was it greased while he was in there? If not, was that bearing checked as well?
Old 07-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #5

According to the tech, both were frozen. The people I use are very reliable.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:42 AM   #6

Did they give you a chance to check out the parts they replaced?
Old 07-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
According to the tech, both were frozen. The people I use are very reliable.
pcurt,
Just wondering, you say that the tech said "Both were frozen". Both WHAT were frozen, the spring loaded sections that keep the tension or, the bearings in both tensioners? And, by law, they MUST give you the parts they removed.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
led