Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2020, 05:38 PM   #1

C7 boost pressure sensor

This is more of a rant or information, I had my boost pressure sensor go out, I was showing full boost even with the engine not running, of course this only happens when on the road, go to the nearest cat dealer with engine serial number in hand, get a new sensor, dosnt look the same, same body, same plug but the old one the plug is right on the body and the new one is on a whip. but he looked it up by my serial number. Install it a CG see the numbers for boost moving, all is well, NOT! so hit the road to return home, Oh, I have a MP8 also, with the Mp8 off its showing 32 psi boost, yup to high out of range bells lights & derate, turn Mp8 on, numbers are good, no warning, but doesnt feel right. Ok parts dept here at home says its the right one, but I talk to service, Andy in Tupelo tells me there different for each Hp rating, why doesnt the parts dept know that? simple, got the one that looks identical to the old one and life is good again. Oh, MP8 is useless for service, the girl just says "i cant answer anything mechanical"
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
So, which do you have, a Cat C7 or a Mack MP8 engine? Trying to follow you here but got confused.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:28 PM   #3

2005 Cat C7 350 hp, Mp8 tuner
Old 08-02-2020, 07:37 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
2005 Cat C7 350 hp, Mp8 tuner
Got it, OK. Did you finally get the correct replacement sensor?
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:03 PM   #5
Cat

Never heard of different pressure sensor for different horsepower no such thing. It is very difficult to find the correct sensor in the parts system. CAT didn't do a a good job of describing the different sensors. They say something like pressure sensor grp, instead of manifold pressure, oil pressure sensor or atmospheric sensor. Oh by the way if your atmospheric pressure goes bad it will cause your other sensors to be inaccurate. The reason is the atmospheric is used to calibrate all the other pressure sensors. Depending how inaccurate it is is how inaccurate the other pressure sensors.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote