Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #29

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrock
How can you tell if your C-7 is a 19 Quart Small Pan or large pan?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #30

The 19 qt pan is sheet metal. The big one is cast aluminum.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrock View Post
How can you tell if your C-7 is a 19 Quart Small Pan or large pan?
mrock
2 ways.

1.) The deep sump pan, (28 qt), is cast aluminum....the shallow pan,(19 qt), is stamped steel.

2.) The beast way? Call the Cat RV help line, 1-877-777-3126, with your engine number and ask what the recommended oil capacity of your engine is......(the best way)?

Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #32

As one poster stated Cat has very little experience with MH powerplants. BUT someone did post the latest recommendations for oil changes recently. Alas I did not save that post. The fuel burnt recommendations are not for MH's. They apply to stationary equipment that does not have a speedometer. Nonetheless once a year or before 10,000 miles is a common recommendation for none Cat DP's. If the HEUI needs cleaner oil then do it every 7500 miles. Anything else is just wasting $$$. For most users the once a year service will be less than 7500 miles.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #33

Moisheh,

Would you please post a link to where CAT says the gallons burned reference in my engine operators manual does NOT refer to my engine. It would seem to me that fuel burned would be a good way to determine when the oil should be changed as it would indicate how hard the engine has worked. My engine operators manual does not say change at 1100 gallons burned except in motorhomes. Should the interval in miles be the same for a engine that is getting 6 mpg as one that is getting 9 mpg? I don't think so. In the end we all do what we think is best for OUR engine.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Moisheh,
Would you please post a link to where CAT says the gallons burned reference in my engine operators manual does NOT refer to my engine. It would seem to me that fuel burned would be a good way to determine when the oil should be changed as it would indicate how hard the engine has worked. My engine operators manual does not say change at 1100 gallons burned except in motorhomes. Should the interval in miles be the same for a engine that is getting 6 mpg as one that is getting 9 mpg? I don't think so. In the end we all do what we think is best for OUR engine.
Jim
jauguston
Well said!
Mel '96 Safari, 3126 Cat, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #35

I have 2 documents that refer to oil change intervals. One is the CAT RV recommendations LEKT4302 0r LEHT92886-06. Mine is dated 6-07 and applies to 3116,3126,3126B,3126E,C7. I believe you posted a more current copy of this document. I also have the operation manual for C7 "ON HIGHWAY" engine KAL1-UP. This is manual # SEBU7766-03 and is dated July 2003. The RV recommendations makes NO MENTION of hours. PERIOD. It does say that a KAL with a shallow pan (19 qt) has a 1 year /11,00o mile interval. There is a note that the capacity was changed due to side mounted breather. The on highway engine manual DOES state that a PM level 1 including oil and filter is every 11,000 miles, 1100 gallons or 250 hours or 6 months. There is also mention in this manual that the 11,000 miles is based 1100 gallons @ 10 mpg. Makes one wonder what kind of on highway vehicle with a C7 gets 10 mpg. So using their logic my statement of 7500 miles is perhaps too conservative. 7.5 MPG X 1100 gallons equals 8250 miles. There is nothing wrong with changing the oil every 6000 miles. But one should do this because you think it is a better practice not because you think that is Cat's recommendation. I doubt any of us would have a problem with any of the above intervals. Today's oils have a much improved additive package. Many newer diesels have a 15,000 mile interval and OTR trucks go 35,000 or more. Of course they do not have HEUI pumps.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote