Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #1

What are you all using to prime your fuel system on the C7?

I have no pump, Anyome add a primer pump?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #2

What are you all using to prime your fuel system on the C7?

I have no pump, Anyome add a primer pump?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2008, 04:23 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Tboh,

I don't have a priming pump on my Cat either. I just fill the new filter with clean fuel and carefully install it. A little tedious, but that's what my shops did with the O-T-R trucks.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #4

I don't have one either. I saw this question posted on the other forum and someone said it's not needed with electric fuel pumps. Is this true?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #5

I'm still piecing the details together. Looks like there is an electric 'lift pump', fuel pump to feed the engine fuel when primed.

Seems there is only the 105-2508 primer pump that goes on the 2 micron fuel filter housing to draw fuel into new filters or remove air if the rig was to suck air instead of fuel..

I'm going to get the pump and a gasket, and pop that sucker on there.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:19 AM   #6

Chassis builders buy the engines and can spec them with or without a primimg pump.

We elected to remote mount a Parker Racor 30 micron fuel filter with water seperator bowl. The filter comes with a priming pump. A lot of manufacturers of Motorhomes use them instead of the CAT engine primer. You can also remote mount the CAT filter to a more convinient location also. This is mounted before the primary CAT 5 micron and extends filter life.

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:34 AM   #7

How does the Racor help when changing the secondary filter? I called Racor and was told the Racor would only prime the primary filter, not the secondary.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat:
Chassis builders buy the engines and can spec them with or without a primimg pump.

We elected to remote mount a Parker Racor 30 micron fuel filter with water seperator bowl. The filter comes with a priming pump. A lot of manufacturers of Motorhomes use them instead of the CAT engine primer. You can also remote mount the CAT filter to a more convinient location also. This is mounted before the primary CAT 5 micron and extends filter life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #8

Check with the Racor to be sure. It primes the same as the CAT pump so I would say yes. It will push fuel through the system and back through the return line to the fuel tank.

It has a relief valve on the housing to allow air to escape on its filter and we left the CAT filter a bit loose until the pump purged the air out and then tightened the filter to seal it. Engine always started without even a stumble.

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #9

Just curious, roughly how many activations of the primer pump are required to fill both the primary and secondary filter. I may have to mount mine in an awkward place.
hatris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:33 AM   #10

Just finished my 4th filter change (M3 Maint) and have not found it necessary to have an additional fuel pump. I prime the filters by carefully pouring diesel fuel (fresh) into the outer holes of the new filter until full, then install on the engine. Start engine and allow to run for a few minutes to purge any air in the system and to check for leaks.

This procedure insures that the new fuel is "filtered" and there is minimal air introduced into the fuel system.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chief:
Just finished my 4th filter change (M3 Maint) and have not found it necessary to have an additional fuel pump. I prime the filters by carefully pouring diesel fuel (fresh) into the outer holes of the new filter until full, then install on the engine. Start engine and allow to run for a few minutes to purge any air in the system and to check for leaks.

This procedure insures that the new fuel is "filtered" and there is minimal air introduced into the fuel system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. Never had a problem...I have a plug I use for the center hole in the new filter which makes it easy to pour the clean fuel into the outer holes. However, if you ever got caught on the roadside with a plugged filter and wanted to put a new one on, how would you prefill the new filter? I don't carry a small can of fuel with me and I'm surely not planning to siphon some from the tank.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #12

I have done it that way also for the last three years, but unfortunately, my 2003 Freightliner XC chassis was one of the one's built during the 3 year period when they only put on a single 2 micron filter. It typically always plugs up every 3000 to 6000 miles. It typically happens on the road at the most inopportune times - I have changed it in rest areas, flying J's etc - always a messy job. I bought the parts to add a second filter with a primer pump so hopefully I can use a 20 micron primary and a 2 micron secondary and get to 10,000 to 12,000 miles between changes (will change filters at oil change time). That's why I was wondering how many activations of the primer pump it takes to fill both - anyone know?
hatris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #13

I've read another source who stated about 70 strokes of the primer pump. That should go much faster than filling the filter with fuel.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:44 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">However, if you ever got caught on the roadside with a plugged filter and wanted to put a new one on, how would you prefill the new filter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

smlranger, I do carry a small (quart) metal can filled with fuel just for that reason. I refill it with fresh fuel when I service the MH.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote