Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2019, 06:45 AM   #183

Monaco Owners Club
Journey Cat,
What holds the block heater into the block?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2019, 11:28 AM   #184

Thanks J/S I googled them .
I like the way these diesels are built !
Just hope i never have to rebuild one though
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #185

I have been reading all the posts with some interest. I did this job on my coach two years ago. My Cat came with a grease fitting on the hub and Faithfully lube in every year. I may add that extension. That will make it easier.

On replacing the water pump. I did this job, checked the water pump all was good. I replaced the radiator, Hoses thermostats but did not replace the water pump. Big mistake, 700 miles later it failed.

My advice, when you are in there replace it.

I do not know if this will help keep things clean but the two things i did to help were to extend my breather tube to the rear of the coach and I added low mud flaps behind the wheels. I have a rear curtain across the rear but added the flaps behind the wheels in an effort to keep debris within the wheel well. Not sure it will help but tried it.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:32 PM   #186

Country B The block heater from what I see is held in by a center allen with a O ring around the perimiter

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4iYAA...Zs/s-l1600.jpg
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:10 AM   #187

Tiffin Owners Club
How to gain access door in closet on 05 Tiffin Phaeton

I am cleaning radiator on C-7 Cat, through door on floor. The little door in closet, I have taken 3 screws out, and door will not come up. Any suggestion ?
Billy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:14 AM   #188

Not at my coach, I think their is around 8 to 10 screws holding it down, I pull the edge of carpet to get the door or cover to come off.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:19 AM   #189

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
I am cleaning radiator on C-7 Cat, through door on floor. The little door in closet, I have taken 3 screws out, and door will not come up. Any suggestion ?
There are more screws on the top of the cover in your closet. I'm thinking 6 total
rver98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #190

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been reading this thread and will be doing cleaning on my radiator and CAC. Lots of good info. here. Thanks.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #191

Hello all, Charlie and Martha do you plan on removing them to clean them? Thanks, Joe
the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:20 AM   #192

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sights View Post
Hello all, Charlie and Martha do you plan on removing them to clean them? Thanks, Joe
Yes, I've crawled under to get a look and it seems like an impossible task without pulling them. I REALLY wish I could find a parts blow up of the Freightliner 3126 so I can see what I am up against. My Google Fu must be weak this week as I can't find that information anywhere.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #193

Tiffin Owners Club
I was able to spray a cleaner onto radiator coils and wash with a water hose. Took me about 5 hours leaning through the hatch in bedroom floor to do it. What a mess and a task. But its clean and now I am running around 15 degrees cooler and not overheating on mountain passes in Colorado.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #194

To clean them really well, you need to actually spray water/cleaner from both the bedroom floor area, and back through from the outside rear area. Dirt from the CAC will coat the back side of the radiator, and unless you spray from the outside rear back into the radiator fins that dirt will be stuck on the hidden side of the radiator.

Here is another picture of what the clogged CAC can look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rad Cac Debris.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	522.9 KB
ID:	256081  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #195

Location: Land of high fuel prices and lousy roads; Kalifornia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey cat View Post
I have not as yet drained the system .
I have to figure out what valves need to be closed along the chassie before I drain it .
I am preparing to drain, flush, and refill the cooling system on my 2006 C7. Why would you need or want to close the valves along the chassis? Wouldn't you want everything to flow out of the system?

Also. Where is the block drain for the C7? I want to remove as much of the old coolant as possible.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #196

Freightliner has a sequence for filling the engine & heater with new coolant. This supposedly is to keep air from becoming trapped. Here is the procedure on my 2006 Freightliner chassis. But for draining, you can let her rip.

Just make sure, if you are switching from regular coolant to the newer "extended OAT coolants, you must get all of the old coolant out by flushing with clean mineral free water. The newer OAT coolants and the old style coolants don't mix very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coolant 2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	258788  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, removal, radiator