Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #1

C9 Operating Temperature?

I recently took delivery of a 2005 Country Coach Inspire powered by a 400HP CAT C9. All is well with the coach however I have a question regarding operating temps. At idle the temp reads (via analog gauge) 180+ deg. F. Under load with minimal grades at 60-65 MPH the temp climbs to 210 - 215 deg. F. The radiator on the coach has recently been replaced with a steel/copper core replacing the original aluminum core. Can I get comment on what similar applications are seeing for operating temps with a similar motor? Thx.
rickmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hopefully when your radiator was replaced, the coolant and thermostats were changed also. Sounds like your cooling fan control is faulty and not kicking on or not staying on long enough. I would start there.

Good luck!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:11 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My 09 C9 Cat runs 188-190 degrees at highway speeds. May reach 192-194 on hills.

Brinson
Brinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #4

Mine runs 200 on a 95 degree day and I don't baby it going down the highway if you get your engine serial # call cat they will tell you every thing you want to no such as HP,fuel pressure, torc,oil pressure all motors are dinod and info saved.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:31 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like you are running to hot. So it is either not enough circulation of coolant or coolant hot able to release b.t.u.'s when hot. Sounds like you are addressing the latter with the radiator work you had done. Only one other thing I would check before ruling that out is medium (coolant) itself. When was the last time it was checked and or changed? Test strips are cheap. Especially before you start chasing possible circulation problems.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #6

Questions ? Have you tested the gauge for accuracy ? Even 5% error here could make a difference. Replaced the sending unit at any time ? Did the rad change make any difference to the readings ? A recent t'stat change brought my idle/coast temps up and my load temps down. Current 175/190 . One of the two t'stats was stuck open.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #7

Thanks all for the feedback....

Thanks for the feedback and comments. The cooling system work had been done by the previous owner of which I have all the records for what and when the work was done. I spoke with the previous owner and he suspects the gauge may be the issue. For whatever reason, CC installed Teleflex products that are more common in marine applications. I'd like Silver Leaf but oh the costs....! I have an appointment for Wednesday at the local CAT/Peterbilt dealer to run the scopes etc. I really do appreciate the feedback from you all. Have a great 4th and enjoy this great land of ours.
Thx,

Rick
rickmurph is offline   Reply With Quote