Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #1

C9 - Should I carry spare parts & which parts?

I am buying a 2007 CC C9 coach and see talk about problems others have had.

I am a mechanical person and don't mind getting my hands dirty but I have limits especially without specialized tools etc.

So if I am in the middle of no wheres or limp to a mechanic, if I had the part that may make a huge difference in getting stuck.

What parts should I carry? Sensors? Belts? pumps?

What would this parts list cost me?
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #2

To start with I would change out the serpentine belt and keep the old one if I needed it down the road. You might check your wipers and get one spare.

Mine has Cat ELC coolant so I keep a gallon on hand. 2 qts of Dexron 3 for the fan-steering. 1 gallon of TranSynd for the trans. One set of fuel filters and if you prefill use only the small holes to fill and use only the best cat filters, oil and fuel.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #3

Pete's Law: No matter what parts you carry, the one part you don't have with you is the one that breaks!

If you carry filters, make sure you seal them in something that won't allow any moisture in. I used to use Zip Lock bags, but recently found one that got punctured somehow and moisture got in. I now use a Tupperware type of sealed container and store it under the bed instead of in one of the outside compartments. Here are a few filters that are brand new and rusted. You don't want rust particles contaminating the fuel or oil in a CAT Engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rusty New Filter 1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	235092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rusty New Filter 4.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	740.2 KB
ID:	235093  

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Spare belts,Fuel filter(s) (and the necessary wrench), a gallon of each coolant and oil(s), ALSO the same if you have a water cooled diesel generator system,& for Aqua-Hot or Oasis system.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post

I am a mechanical person and don't mind getting my hands dirty but I have limits especially without specialized tools etc.

So if I am in the middle of no wheres or limp to a mechanic, if I had the part that may make a huge difference in getting stuck.

One item you may want to consider is an IAP sensor. Depending on the vintage of the sensor in your engine, they can cause some strange issues with the fuel system. I have replaced about 15 in my time where owners were ready to replace all kinds of very $$$$ components. The newer generation sensors are like anything else, designed with better electronic components. For the 160.00, I carry one rather being stranded on the side of the roadway. It will take you longer to pull the floor up then the time to install a new IAP. Many things can go wrong however of all the engine sensors, this one can be the issue more than others.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #6

Hi George! Long time no talk. Everything OK?

What does the IAP sensor do? Located where?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #7

Hello Peter,
Everything is fine. Thanks for asking.
I have written about this many times in past threads due to the issues it can cause.
The IAP (Injection Actuation Pressure Sensor) is responsible to feed back the oil pressure in the common rail passage to control the hydraulic side of your 6 injectors. The HEUI pump produces up to 4,000 psi of provided engine oil to operate the injectors. The IAP feeds back to the ECM telling the ECM what pressure is in the oil rail. The ECM then adjusts the current to the solenoid in the HEUI to provide the requested pressure to the injectors. That said, the ECM only does what the IAP tells it regarding the required pressure for that engine demand.

A failing IAP can cause various performance issues. A "sticky" IAP can cause no power, lack of power, inconsistent power, rough idle or just flat out wont start. Depending on what failed internally in the IAP determines IF you get a fault code. Not all failures will throw a code. However there is a simple DIY test to check if the trouble condition is caused by the IAP.

Access the IAP 3 pin connector located at the front left on the head. The IAP looks like a small can, 1" diameter, sticking straight up with a cable exiting the top to the three pin connector. With the engine OFF, unplug the IAP and then start the engine. IF the engine starts and idles smoother than before then the IAP is definitely failed. If not then you have other issues.

The original IAP's had a high failure rate due to older technology electronics. An extremely knowledgeable CAT engineer shared with me the potential failure on the latest design is far less. However I still carry a spare. Beats needing the "Hook" or major $ repair.

I would say that 8 out of 10 performance issues I have been asked to correct have been IAP sensor failures and not injectors, ECM and other very expensive components.

Hope you are well Peter, nice to hear from you. You also may want to read the thread: "HEUI Pump Failures". You may find it interesting.

Take care, Peter
George
Old 02-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post

Fuel filters firstly and then used for next change out.
All fluids for topping off things and a spare engine belt.
Other things of your choice and I usually have bits and pieces that have come in handy, more than once.
For exp....I once used a 1/2" collar and plug to cap off a hot water tank with a broken hose and until I could get parts the next day. Cold water only, but better than nothing and just something I happened to have in my collection.
Another time it was a a switch for bypassing an ignition problem, so one never knows.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #9

i ran a lot of miles for a lot of years with a bunch of off highway every day. got by pretty well with a 10" crescent, a pair of channel locks and a couple of scewdrivers. on the parts side, hose clamps, zip ties and air brake fittings. a small assortment of wire and solderless terminals can be a plus. having said all that i knew guys who carried a full set of radiator hoses and five gallons of coolant- one guy even had a couple of new head bolts. you will just have to find what makes you feel comfortable.good luck and have fun
DanKathyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts