Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:32 AM   #1

Can't find engine oil leak

My 3126E has suddenly developed an oil leak somewhere at the front of the motor.

History:In the winter we removed the rad, CDC and all accessories. Cleaned everything, changed bearing and hoses. The coach has run like a top.

A couple of weeks ago I changed the oil and it now has 1,350 miles on the new oil. Yesterday there was oil on our toad so I crawled under to take a look. There was a little oil on the ground and it was obvious the oil was coming from the front of the motor. There is oil draining down on the motor mount that is butted up against the front of the motor and runs under the crank balancer. First though was front main seal but looking further it appears the oil might be coming from above the main. There is oil on the pan bolts on both sides of the motor. It is very tight quarters and hard to see much of anything, even with a mirror on an extending pole.

When I discovered the leak the oil level was about a quart below the full line on the dip stick. We drove one day and now the level is about 2 quarts above the fill line. I have changed the oil many times and it always takes 5 gallons. I'm sure why one day it reads a little low and another a little high but don't believe the leak is from an over fill.

Where can a leak develop on the front of the motor? When changing all the hoses this winter the only one not changed was the slobber hose. It was in good shape at that time. I'm thinking about disconnecting it at the valve cover to test but that seems like a stretch.

We are in Idaho, heading for Alaska and would like to find the leak.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2022, 07:53 AM   #2

My Dodge Ram 3500 diesel was dripping a small amount of oil from the front of the engine from when it was brand new. The dealer couldnít find the leak, so I decided to live with it for the time being. Finally, after having other shops try to fix the issue, the problem was found and corrected. The problem was the front crankshaft seal was installed backwards. There was no further oil loss after that.

It was surprising that several shops, including the dealerís service people, couldnít locate the problem, yet one shop solved it fairly quickly. Goes to show that not all mechanics are truly expert.

mr. ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:45 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is there any chance your valve cover breather and slobber tube are plugged or kinked so the crank case pressure is building up internally and pushing the oil out past the seals?

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
Is there any chance your valve cover breather and slobber tube are plugged or kinked so the crank case pressure is building up internally and pushing the oil out past the seals?
Good thought! I will check it out this morning before departing the campground.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:12 AM   #5

Although i have not had to do it yet. It is said one can add a die, to oil and or about anything, and get a good black light to find the leak.
An online search would tell what to get and how to do it.
Best of luck.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:13 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it is any help, all the stationary engines I've worked with had crankcase manometers and most called for 1 inch of vacuum.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
Good idea but no blockage. The inside of the breather has course steal wool type material in it.

The motor had 23K miles when we purchased it 3 years ago. It now has 50K. I have changed the oil and CAT filter every 3000 miles with Delo 15-40.

I don't understand how it can go from no oil leak to a substantial one so quickly. I don't believe a measurable amount is leaking but it is enough to make huge mess

The good thing (I hope) is the oil is dripping out front the engine support below the bottom of the radiator so not to clog it up.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:36 PM   #8

Moved 175 miles today. Crawled under to take a look and it is UGLY! I have put down a news paper to see how much oil is going to drip down. I'll wait until morning to check the dip stick.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:12 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is your oil level now?
There's a similar sort of thread running where the fella is getting fuel in the crankcase, raising the oil level. Hope you sort this out soon!
Old 05-26-2022, 05:25 PM   #10

When I ran my repair shop I used a Tracer Dye from the NAPA store next door. After giving the engine a thorough cleaning and drying I would add the dye to the oil and go for a short drive. When I got back to the shop I used an Ultraviolet lamp which would cause the dye to glow.
Sometimes you need to sneak up on these leaks. If you drive too much the oil will get spread around and it'll be difficult to pinpoint the source of the leak. Take short test drives and check for leaks between each drive.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:19 AM   #11

Well, I checked the dipstick this morning and the level is still a little above the full line. I have gone from no leak to a mess as can be seen on the new paper I put under the motor last night.

We are 2,200 miles into a 10,000 mile trip so my feeling is helplessness. The only thing to do is turn up the radio and ignore it. Maybe it is the front main and I'm in denial? Just hard to believe that seal would fail so quickly and on a motor with only 50K miles that has been maintained. Good news is it doesn't seem to be affecting the cooling system. Bad news is our toad looks like a Dalmatian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7051.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	366692  
Old 05-27-2022, 05:04 PM   #12

If space I would get up there and set it to a high idle. Other tools might be a camera mounted to see the area of concern. If your concerned about the blowby being blocked, put your hand under it and feel the air coming out.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:37 AM   #13

Turning up the radio and driving heck out of it is a great idea. IF you want to buy a new engine. Probably north of $35,000 installed if one is even available.
Small leaks can turn into large leaks with no notice other than you have a small leak now. You should forget you are on vacation and start a sincere search for a service center who will diagnose and repair the leak.
If you continue to drive it keep your Roadside Assistance and your insurance information in a safe place.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:00 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The old Dutchman that owned the Atlantic station where I worked as a kid would never have a radio on in anything he was driving. Just saying!

Tags
engine, leak