Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2020, 09:02 PM   #1

Cat 15/515 Advice

I am looking for a Country Coach 2002 - 2004 vintage. Most of them have the Cummins ISL 400. I found a 2004 Magna with the Cat15/515 engine with 80,000 miles (one owner)but I don't know anything about them.

What are the pluses and are there any issues with maintenance, performance, repairs, etc. that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance,
Ken
msu1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2020, 09:38 PM   #2

Ken
This may help some. They do like fuel 5.5 to 6.0mpg but they have lots of power.

2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
2004 With a 2003 C-15 Cat single turbo is about as Bullitt proof motor out there! A real life 1,000,000+ mile motor, proven in many semi's still out there racking up the miles! Yes, they are thirsty, but they run and pull good!
If you are going to be pulling a heavy trailer, that Cat won't break a sweat!
Make sure the cooling system is up to snuff, and get a computer readout, to see if it ever had any overheating issues, and what service it has had! Cheap insurance! Good luck! Rail!
Old 03-05-2020, 08:57 AM   #4

Concur a workhorse of an engine, and much simpler smog 'stuff' on it. Also agree for pulling a trailer or say 1 ton crew cab 8' bed truck - the C-15 is not going to blink. One owner said he was able to get 7MPG + rather consistently, by keeping his foot out of it. And he also said he loafs along on the highway at the optimum RPM for MPG too... Me? I'd want to see the Life of Engine MPG reading! As I suspect 6 to 6.5MPG would be 'good' MPG with that engine.

04 Magna's are well built. The only knock I have to that package with the C-15, is the fuel tank at 110G, is not going to give you a large range of travel between fill up's. And, forget where it was in the model range year, but they shifted the front slide to a 'flat floor' sort of drop down. I was told, so second hand info, that these could be problematic. (But if the coach your looking at has the flat floor, do your own research. Call Eric Oldstrum in AZ, or Jim Cooley at Premier - as two sources to ask questions about the flat drop down slide floor.). If it's the coach in Chandler, it is priced very conservatively... Sure, the add reads well and all is supposed to work. But that price point, IMO, is more of a yellow flag to do deep due diligence... And if all checks out, smile all the way home at that price point!!

Good luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The early Cat C15 is one of the best on road diesel engines made. My brother had several in class 8 trucks that all went well past 1 million miles. The off idle torque is incredible.
In a motor home, it will vibrate a little more than an ISX, especially when cold.
When servicing, it will take approx 41 quarts of oil. You should be able to check the lifetime MPG on the coach trip computer.

Damon Rapozos web site has an excellent summary of yearly changes on Country Coach models.
https://damonrapozo.com/model-history
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:42 PM   #6

If available can you post the engine serial number. I personally drove an 06 Cat C15 for several years and put close to 300,000 TROUBLE FREE MILES on it until I retired. It was in my KW low bed tractor, T800, most of my loads were 130,000 lbs. It was the twin turbo model but still the same hp platform. If you are able to provide the engine serial number or check it and it is the 6NG platform DONT LET THAT RIG GET AWAY.

Will wait for a reply

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:05 AM   #7

A big Thank you to all who offered their advice. As part of my due diligence I asked the owner if it was the single or dual turbo. Unfortunately his reply was "Sorry my CC is now sold".

Since I am in Michigan, I just couldn't respond quick enough to make a deal.

All the Best,
Ken
msu1966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, cat