RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #1

CAT 3126B will not start need input on two CAT service centers (Gilroy CA)

Hello everyone,

First post here, but I have been reading a lot on CAT 3126b. We are proud new owners of a (now malfunctioning) 99 airstream cutter. Long story short we are now stuck at a RV park in Gilroy CA and will need to tow our coach to one of two CAT service centers. One is Peterson Trucks in San Martin, the other is norcal Kenworth which is just south of Gilroy.

I'm wondering if any of you have experience with these shops, how were you treated, was pricing fair, etc. I see that both will work on the 3126. I'm hoping (perhaps not realistic) that they can get to it tomorrow or Tuesday so we can get on with our trip.

We did have someone pull codes on it and they indicate a fault with the IPC sensor. I tried unplugging it and still no start. I fear I'm looking at a HEUI and set of injectors (jokingly referred to as a "precious metals kit" by the last diesel mechanic I spoke to). It really ran great for nearly 1000 miles then a stop and Walmart and it started very hard, and now it will not start at all. Just cranks and cranks.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
NathanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 12:30 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .
Sorry your here with problems.
1,000 miles with no issues then no start, any possibility you have plugged a fuel filter?
How much fuel have you used since you purchased the coach ?
Is this your first trip ?
Was there much fuel in the tank when you got it?
In case you haven't found this info elsewhere . Here's a pdf on the 3126B no start.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3126B no start.pdf (130.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 07-18-2016, 01:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2 .
Sorry your here with problems.
1,000 miles with no issues then no start, any possibility you have plugged a fuel filter?
How much fuel have you used since you purchased the coach ?
Is this your first trip ?
Was there much fuel in the tank when you got it?
In case you haven't found this info elsewhere . Here's a pdf on the 3126B no start.
Hello and thank you for your input.

Yes first trip out in this coach with the wife and our four kids.

I've burned roughly one tank in it, averaged about 9.5 mpg. There was a half tank of fuel in it when we bought it and no idea on the history there. Didn't even think to ask.

Yes the thing has driven very well, with good power in the mountains on long grades. No hard starts until one of the recent stops at a Walmart, had been running for 3-4 hours before that. Did our shopping and had lunch, then no start.

The only other possible connection is the dash lights and fuel gauge act up some times. When we first bought it I thought I had traced the problem to an after market cutoff switch that was installed in the chassis battery compartment. The PO said he installed it because that wire was drawing current and killing the batt. I undid this "fix" and the dash went back to normal, but did resurface the time before The time it wouldn't start. I went back and checked the crimping on the repair I did and it was slightly loose, so I tightened it and went to start the coach and then cranking for days. It finally started but then threw codes and the engine operated under power (a derate condition I assume). It hard started a few more times and now I can't get it to start at all and have given up for fear of roasting the starter. I'm not convinced these electrical glitches are related but maybe they are?
Old 07-18-2016, 01:18 AM   #4

BTW- I see you are in BC. I did my masters degree at UBC in the early 2000s. Lived in Vancouver for 2 years absolutely my favorite big city on earth. Many fond memories.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJS View Post

I'm wondering if any of you have experience with these shops, how were you treated, was pricing fair, etc. I see that both will work on the 3126. I'm hoping (perhaps not realistic) that they can get to it tomorrow or Tuesday so we can get on with our trip.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
We use the Peterson shop in Eugene, OR. They have about a dozen shops from northern California to Portland.

The Eugene shop has treated us very well.

Good luck with your decision.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #6

Quote:
BTW- I see you are in BC. I did my masters degree at UBC in the early 2000s. Lived in Vancouver for 2 years absolutely my favorite big city on earth. Many fond memories.
Vancouver has now become one huge parking lot ; daily gridlock on the roads ; if there was a way to avoid going through Vancouver to get out of PR , I'd take it.

Meant to ask in my first post ; What chassis is your coach built on ?
Old 07-19-2016, 12:16 AM   #7

Got it into the Peterson Truck location, have been informed that shop hour rate is $180/hour I that normal? The service rep actually said RVs have a higher shop rate than trucks. I want it fixed right but that seems really high and if never heard of charging someone a different rate because it's an rv. This is the Peterson Trucks in San Martin ca.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:19 AM   #8

It's a freightliner x-line

I remember the problem with the Vancouver was there are no freeways in the city. It would take me at least an hour to drive from west Vancouver (Kits) to Burnaby heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Vancouver has now become one huge parking lot ; daily gridlock on the roads ; if there was a way to avoid going through Vancouver to get out of PR , I'd take it.

Meant to ask in my first post ; What chassis is your coach built on ?
Old 07-19-2016, 07:47 AM   #9
DJJ

CAT 3126B will not start need input on two CAT service centers (Gilroy CA)

Yes, most shops charge a higher labor rate for working on RV's. For comparison, Pantropic Cat Dealer in Miami, FL the RV labor rate is $150.00 hr vs $125.00 for trucks.

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Got it into the Peterson Truck location, have been informed that shop hour rate is $180/hour I that normal? The service rep actually said RVs have a higher shop rate than trucks. This is the Peterson Trucks in San Martin ca.
That sounds like about what Peterson-Eugene charged. I just looked over some invoices and the amount charged divided by the amount of time I estimate they spent works out to about $160-$180 per hour. The invoices do not break it out as Hours X Rate. They bill the labor by task or item.

Try to get a quote for the job. The Peterson shop in Eugene quoted $500 for a valve lash adjustment and they threw in an oil change with filters. Even though they spent several hours trying to gain access to the engine from the bedroom and were not successful, they stuck to the quoted price. Ultimately they got the skinniest qualified tech, removed the air duct from filter to turbo plus a bunch of other parts, and got the job done for the quoted price. They had to have lost money on that deal.

Good luck,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
Old 07-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #11

OK guys thanks for the input. I guess we are in shock a little bit, seeing as we just bought the rig. It only has 47k on it and being a diesel we figured it's barely broken in. Live and learn I guess. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's something simple but I'm worried its the heui and that it may have taken the injectors down with it. It drove really well before all this.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #12

OK, got a call back today. They are fairly sure it's the high pressure valve and sensor. They should have the parts tomorrow morning. Looking at just shy of 2K for parts and labor, going to also see about an oil change since I have no idea when it was last done. I had planned to do that when we got back from this trip but now that I know this design uses LUBRICATION OIL to pressurize the injectors it seems more urgent. What a stupid design.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #13

Quote:
OK, got a call back today. They are fairly sure it's the high pressure valve and sensor. They should have the parts tomorrow morning. Looking at just shy of 2K for parts and labor, going to also see about an oil change since I have no idea when it was last done. I had planned to do that when we got back from this trip but now that I know this design uses LUBRICATION OIL to pressurize the injectors it seems more urgent. What a stupid design.
Glad you got a diagnosis. Here's Peterson's (Eugene) charges for an oil change on our C12:

Primary fuel/water separator filter P/N: 86231 $64.69
Secondary / final fuel filter P/N: 1R-0749 $21.79
Oil filter P/N: 1R-1808 $34.50
15W-40 lube oil, 10 gallons at $14.00/gal $140.00
Labor $39.02

Total $300.00 (No tax in Oregon)

They also dumped the engine's computer and gave me a hard copy of the results. (No problems, codes, etc)

Optional engine oil analysis - $29.50

Hope all goes well and you're back on the road ASAP.

Best,
Old 07-21-2016, 01:48 AM   #14

Back on the road. They replaced the IAC valve and sensor and that did the trick. The tech said the valve was stuck closed and the HEUI was putting out 4800psi while cranking, which will cause the ecu to fail to fire injectors. He said stuck open and closed is the same result, no start. In my case unplugging the IAC sensor did not allow the engine to start since it was the valve that was failed. So if you can't get your 3126 to start and unplugging the sensor does not make a difference it could be your IAC valve.

An interesting tidbit I learned from the tech:

The IAC valve on the 3126B is located on the outside of the HEUI where on the later versions of the motor (C7 I think) it's located integral to the HEUI, so when the valve goes down you have to replace the entire pump! He said the 3126B is nice because you can replace the valve without replacing the entire pump.

Anyways, $1600 later my rig is back running like new.

Tags
cat, service