Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 08:37 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
CAT 3126e fuel pump test

I have a 2003 Winne Journey DL with a CAT 3126e. About 125,000 miles. Up until today the motor has been flawless.

I completed an 800 mile trip from NM to TX about 2 months ago. Ran fine.
The rig has been parked since then. Went out to start it and thhhttttt. The starter turns over very well, it just won't start....doesn't even want to try.

First guess, dirty fuel filter. Changed that, no joy. So here my questions start.

When the key is ON does the fuel pump activate? I would think so as fuel injection requires a lot of pressure. If this is the case I would expect to get positive pressure in the fuel/water separator. I do not.

Depending on the answer to this question would push me to check the fuel pump. Obviously I could disconnect the fuel line from the fuel/water separator but if the fuel pump is not active when the key is ON then I'd need to know how to activate the fuel pump.

The other question, is there any type of fuel filter between the tank and the fuel pump? My motor is not lucky enough to have both a fuel filter AND a water/fuel separator....just the later.
lpasekof is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 08:43 AM   #2

Does your fuel filter housing have the Caterpillar manual primer pump? If so, use it. Tell us if it is easy to pump (air in fuel system) or hard (fuel is non-compressible) and has to open the return check valve for you to pump it.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
No. I have to prefill the filter. No pump.

I did notice while poking around in the interweb someone mentioned something about the Odometer reading 1,888,888. Mine DOES read this way. While I've not found anything that specifically says "if the odometer reads XXX, you have this issue", but I'm guessing ECM.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:06 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
First NO FUEL PUMP inside of tank.
Second, try this locate the Injection Actuation Pressure Sensor (IAP). If it starts then replace it.

Third, is there black smoke ? too much fuel
Fourth, Is there white smoke? No / less fuel.

There are others, But I suggest using the Search Function in this specific forum.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:02 PM   #5
Cat

As stated there is no electric pump.

I understand changing the fuel filters but you may have made it harder to determine what the problem is. Unplugging the sensor is a very good idea, as the sensors do go bad. Unplugging it will allow you go start it if it is the sensor.

But since you changed the fuel filters and you have no priming pump it is very very difficult to to get all the air out of the fuel system. It usually takes several long periods of cranking the engine to prime the filters and this is after you have correctly prefilled the filters.

So now if you unplug the IAP sensor and doesn't start it could be because the fuel system has not fully purged the air out. And the original reason it didn't start was the sensor. Try to make sure the fuel system is bled out. Crank the engine 15-30 seconds then let the starter cool off for 5 min. Then do it again, and again and again. Key thing is to feel the starter and just don't extremely hot before letting it cool. Good Luck
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:23 PM   #6

Info on the 3126 no start conditions and what to try .

pdf says for B series but common info for the E and C-7
The second pdf has the Caterpillar codes , so worth a read if you can pull any codes.

ALSO , your Freightliner chassis has a single inline 20 amp fuse that supplies battery power to the Cat ECM , that needs to be located and tested . probably within 2' of the chassis battery positive terminal.

My filter/separator is on the suction side of the mechanical lift pump section of the HEUI pump , and the second filter is on the pressure side , 65 psi .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3126B no start.pdf (130.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: pdf 3126B Heui Engines.pdf (168.7 KB, 86 views)
Old 10-05-2021, 09:22 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, it turns out my ECM has failed. Cost me $1000 to find out! Now the question is on replacement. Freightliner wants $3850 for a replacement OE ECM. There are aftermarket ECMs available for around $800. Either way it still has to be programmed and installed.

So the question would be has anyone tried aftermarket ECMs? If so, what were the results?
Old 10-05-2021, 09:25 AM   #8
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpasekof View Post
Well, it turns out my ECM has failed. Cost me $1000 to find out! Now the question is on replacement. Freightliner wants $3850 for a replacement OE ECM. There are aftermarket ECMs available for around $800. Either way it still has to be programmed and installed.

So the question would be has anyone tried aftermarket ECMs? If so, what were the results?
I have not used a aftermarket, but Caterpillar offers exchange ECMs. Have you called a Caterpillar dealer and get a exchange price from them.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:08 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Haven't done that. Only called Freightliner. There is a CAT equipment dealer across the highway. I'll give them a visit.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:31 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don’t know anything about this fellow but found him offering a “ $619 Repair & Return ” on Cat ECM.

https://catecm.com/product/3126-ecm-adem-3/

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:37 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I've seen those ads. There are lots of them. If you check the reviews most are mixed. A lot of complaints of warranty and customer service.

I'm going to ask the mechanic doing the work about his experience. If he has a source he believes is reliable I'll go with rebuilt/after market.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:53 PM   #12
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpasekof View Post
I've seen those ads. There are lots of them. If you check the reviews most are mixed. A lot of complaints of warranty and customer service.

I'm going to ask the mechanic doing the work about his experience. If he has a source he believes is reliable I'll go with rebuilt/after market.
I'm going to back up a little. Why do they think it is a ECM? Ecm failure is normally no communication or it loses the FLTS and the FTS setting. Too many times I've heard stories of the mechanic says it is the ECM, then later it was the ECM and the Heui pump, Thats pure BS. Ecm will not fail at the same time as a HEUI pump and one cannot cause the other to fail. I've been involved in at least a hundred different failures of pumps and or ECMs. And when someone says they were both a problem- they didn't troubleshoot it properly. ECM failures do happen but it is not very common. And quite a few ECM failures were actually HEUI pump failures not ECMs
Beware alot of techs have not worked or troubleshoot HEUI systems. Especially since they are getting older. Safe Travels.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I'm going to back up a little. Why do they think it is a ECM? Ecm failure is normally no communication or it loses the FLTS and the FTS setting. Too many times I've heard stories of the mechanic says it is the ECM, then later it was the ECM and the Heui pump, Thats pure BS. Ecm will not fail at the same time as a HEUI pump and one cannot cause the other to fail. I've been involved in at least a hundred different failures of pumps and or ECMs. And when someone says they were both a problem- they didn't troubleshoot it properly. ECM failures do happen but it is not very common. And quite a few ECM failures were actually HEUI pump failures not ECMs
Beware alot of techs have not worked or troubleshoot HEUI systems. Especially since they are getting older. Safe Travels.
What’s the scoop on the ECM battery mentioned elsewhere? If that dies, will it start?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #14
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
What’s the scoop on the ECM battery mentioned elsewhere? If that dies, will it start?
Usually the engine will start but not run very well and has low power. It also usually loses the fuel settings FLS or FTS, it can also lose some custom parameters. It also will give a diagnostic code of critical parameter not programmed and the timing offset has been lost and engine needs to be timed.
Safe Travels

Tags
cat, fuel, fuel pump, pump, test