Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 03:00 PM   #1

CAT 330 Cranks... but will not start

I have a 2003 Winnebago Itasca Horizon (IKP34HD) with a 330 HP CAT (HEP20826). that will turn over when attempting to start but will not (start). Good batteries and connections all checked good. Additionally, there is a no yellow check engine light when the key is turned to the first (before cranking) position and the only gauges that energize are the air and fuel gauge. All the other normal just prior to starting warning lights illuminate fine. The (mobile) diesel mechanic that I use could not get his scan tool to "see" the engine to look at diagnostic codes.

His/our research determined that the engine ECM is either not getting power and or the engine ECU has failed. The mechanic went through all CB's, inline fuze, and checked relays associated with the ECM and found them all good. Unfortunately, he has other scheduled jobs and will not be able to come back for a couple weeks.

Additional online research indicated that the electrical connector (to the ECM) should power to pins 52 and 53 (unswitched) and key on (switched) power to pin 70.

If you're still with me so far... 😂, My question is, has anyone here had a similar issue/diagnosis and eventual repair of the that issue? I would like to hear from you if you did. While the mechanic is out of pocket for a couple weeks, I'm probably going to check those pins for power before ordering a replacement engine ECM to get the ball (in this case the RV, 😉 ) rolling. Thanks for any pointers or advice anyone could provide.
r, Brett
Flares is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 03:08 PM   #2

You are on the right track.

No point in trying to evaluate the ECU until you have verified that you have 12 VDC positive to both pins AND a good ground as well. On many Caterpillar engines, the ground is just below the ECU to the engine block and can get rusty/corroded. Clean it for sure.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the comment. Will do when I tackle the repair.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:55 PM   #4

On a different tract, are you sure the engine is getting fuel? Were the fuel filters changed just before the engine failed to start? Does your engine have one or two filters. Cat engines are known to be extremely hard to start if they run out of fuel.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:27 AM   #5

Good question about the filter. The filter (only have one) was replaced a month prior. Started fine after replacing and I drove it a few miles before parking it until I experienced the no start issue outlined above. We don’t think it’s a fuel issue based on his diagnostic tool not “seeing” the engine and the lack of a yellow check engine light when turning the key to the on position. Those are supposed to be indicative of an ECM issue. [emoji2369]
Old 07-28-2021, 04:54 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Quick question- you mentioned no check engine light when you turn the key on but did you try to get any codes using the cruise control switch? This is how mine works:
Quote:
Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes if the engine is equipped with a diagnostic lamp:

1. Turn the ignition keyswitch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
2. Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
3. Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Also I had the same symptoms on my 2002 3126e and found a loose wire at the battery box that was supposed to be hooked to battery negative post and that got it running again. Also out of curiousity what does your odometer read once the switch is on but before cranking? Does it read your mileage or 1,888,888.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:39 AM   #7

I used a voltmeter and have proper power and ground connections to the ECM. So removed the ECM and am shipping to a company that rebuilds the ECM, offers a 60 money back guaranty, Lifetime warranty, and tunes the ECM specific to my application using chassis VIN and engine serial number. It is about a 3-4 day turn-around once they receive the ECM. There are many companies out there that do this in the 600-800 dollar range. Catapillar wanted $3000 for a new ECM so avoiding that route if I can get mine rebuilt to "new" with warranty.
Appreciate the comments above and I had already pulled the ECM out when one posted about the cruise control switch activation sequence to check codes. Honestly, I don't think that would have worked in my case, because the part that generates the code has failed based on my diagnostics (My mobile mechanic could not even "see" the engine to be able to pull codes with his CAT diagnostic tool), hence ECM failure or no power to ECM diagnosis.
I'll update once I get the rebuilt ECM back and let folks know what happens.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:31 AM   #8

Pics along the way for now...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECM PICS.001.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	337648   Click image for larger version

Name:	ECM PICS.002.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	337649  

Name:	ECM PICS.003.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	337650   Click image for larger version

Name:	ECM PICS.004.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	337651  

Old 07-29-2021, 07:35 AM   #9

More...
Old 07-29-2021, 07:37 AM   #10

More
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ECM PICS.005.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	337652   Click image for larger version

Name:	ECM PICS.006.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	337653  

Name:	ECM PICS.007.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	337654   Click image for larger version

Name:	ECM PICS.008.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	337655  

Old 07-29-2021, 07:38 AM   #11

Last one for now...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ECM PICS.009.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	337656  
Old 09-19-2021, 08:49 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm having a starting issue also on a CAT 3126e. My odometer IS reading 1,888,888. Is it trying to tell me something?
lpasekof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 04:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flares View Post
I used a voltmeter and have proper power and ground connections to the ECM. So removed the ECM and am shipping to a company that rebuilds the ECM, offers a 60 money back guaranty, Lifetime warranty, and tunes the ECM specific to my application using chassis VIN and engine serial number. It is about a 3-4 day turn-around once they receive the ECM. There are many companies out there that do this in the 600-800 dollar range. Catapillar wanted $3000 for a new ECM so avoiding that route if I can get mine rebuilt to "new" with warranty.
Appreciate the comments above and I had already pulled the ECM out when one posted about the cruise control switch activation sequence to check codes. Honestly, I don't think that would have worked in my case, because the part that generates the code has failed based on my diagnostics (My mobile mechanic could not even "see" the engine to be able to pull codes with his CAT diagnostic tool), hence ECM failure or no power to ECM diagnosis.
I'll update once I get the rebuilt ECM back and let folks know what happens.
Did you get your unit working???
xzostd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 03:19 PM   #14

I did but wasn’t happy with a rebuilt ECM I had gotten from a company in TX. The local CAT dealer could not get it to flash correctly so ended up buying a new ECM from them. Was an expensive experience!

Tags
cat, cat 330