Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
cat 330 engine start

Having problem getting engine started. It turns over at a good rate but no start.
Checked both filters by unscrewing and found to be full.
Hand pump above fuel filter, built into flange is very hard to move, when unscrewed and actuated.
With ignition on 12 volts seems to be going to the ECM (attached to the engine.
How do you prime the fuel system?
How do you know, beyond the filters, if the system has lost prime?
Has anyone used diagnostics?
Has anyone used the following site for diagnostic program etc?
Caterpillar Diagnostic, Diagnostics, CAT, Heavy Technics + Repair
I plan to call on Monday and find out if that product will give me the info I need.
Please comment

Marcelk
Marcelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
engine start

I have checked the exhaust for white smoke= none
That seems to point to fuel problem.
Should the primer pump be very hard to use?
Is there any way to relieve pressure and move fuel easier to the end point? Does the HEUI pump have anything to do with slow fuel movement?
Old 10-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #3

What year mh...Assuming the filters are not clogged my bet would be the pump...There should be a tap at the top of your secondary fuel filter housing where a pressure gauge would go to give you the pressure of the fuel pump about 60 psi...If you don't have a gauge use the backyard mechanics test and take out the tap and have someone crank it over for a few seconds and have a towel there to catch the fuel...Could also be the fuel pressure regulator if it is hard to prime...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
cat 330 engine start

This is a National 2001 Tradewinds 7373 LTC
Fuel Filters were changed by the last dealer that I bought from in July 10.
The regular filter with the primer pump is a Fram P8451 and the other is a Nappa 3405 with a water separator. I should probably change them to a CAT authorized type?
Where is the fuel pressure regulator?
Is there any way to check if fuel is getting to the HUEI pump?
Old 10-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
cat 330 engine start

Is there a difference between the HUEI pump and the fuel pump?
If yes, where is the fuel pump?
Old 10-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelk View Post
Is there a difference between the HUEI pump and the fuel pump?
If yes, where is the fuel pump?
No fuel pump with the HUEI. I had the same problem one time, little smoke and no trouble engine light. Turn the ignition on, wait for the heating light to go off, spray just a little of either into your air filter then start engine.
This could be the first sign of having a bad HUEI control valve or sensor. I wish you luck.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
No fuel pump with the HUEI. I had the same problem one time, little smoke and no trouble engine light. Turn the ignition on, wait for the heating light to go off, spray just a little of either into your air filter then start engine.
This could be the first sign of having a bad HUEI control valve or sensor. I wish you luck.
First off I wouldn't spray ether into a diesel unless you know what you are doing but that is just me...Secondly I certainly wouldn't spray ether if you have a heating grid which you do....Kaboom ....You do have a fuel pump/lift pump..The fuel pressure regulator is on the top of the engine opposite the fan end screwed into the head..
Old 10-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
First off I wouldn't spray ether into a diesel unless you know what you are doing but that is just me...Secondly I certainly wouldn't spray ether if you have a heating grid which you do....Kaboom ....You do have a fuel pump/lift pump..The fuel pressure regulator is on the top of the engine opposite the fan end screwed into the head..
I agree but when I was having this problem the mechanic had to spray the either to get it started. We waited until the wait light stopped it cycle and then sprayed in just a small amount.

But I know what you are talking about. I was not happy trying this but she would not start and the mechanic convinced me we would be ok along as waited for the heat wire to stop it's cycling. After that it started up just fine. However I did have to change the control valve and sensor about a month later.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
I agree but when I was having this problem the mechanic had to spray the either to get it started. We waited until the wait light stopped it cycle and then sprayed in just a small amount.

But I know what you are talking about. I was not happy trying this but she would not start and the mechanic convinced me we would be ok along as waited for the heat wire to stop it's cycling. After that it started up just fine. However I did have to change the control valve and sensor about a month later.
The best way to do it is to disconnect the heater grid relay...The reason is, as long as the air temperature and coolant temperature combined are less than 109 degrees F, the heating grid will cycle on and off until it is above that temp combo....
Old 10-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
cat 330 engine start

where exactly is the heating grid relay in my coach? I have the cat 3126b engine and the coach is a 2001 Tradewinds.
There are relays and fuses in a compartment under the driver's seat.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelk View Post
where exactly is the heating grid relay in my coach? I have the cat 3126b engine and the coach is a 2001 Tradewinds.
There are relays and fuses in a compartment under the driver's seat.
What chassis do you have...
Old 10-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
On a caravan We had one coach that would be hard to start sometimes. We looked at everything changed filters . It was an experiance. Come to fine out he was climbing into his rig pushing the break and accilator peddle 3 or 4 times each before he started to turn the engine. it would crank over maybe 20/25 turns befor it would fire. Some one else jumped in one morning without touching anything just waiting for a minute or so hit the starter and it fired right up. You can dissagree.. Buddy I was there. Life is good, if you don't touch any peddles before starting.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
What chassis do you have...
Freightliner chassis, CAT 330 3126B engine, six speed allison transmission (the freightliner chassis has an independent front end).
Old 10-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #14

If it is the same as my 02 XC chassis, there are 2 relays and a circuit breaker all together on the passenger side frame rail near the transmission...They are hard to see..One is the starter relay, one is a 130 amp circuit breaker and one is the heater grid relay..If I remember right the one to the rear of the mh is the grid relay...