Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
jlr

I have a fleetwood excusion with a cat 350. I tow a Lexus suv gx470. In the morning or rain the temp overates normal. However, as the day heats up so does the temp guage. Guage has been replaced and the computer readings rep the temp guage. I hav even had the check enginelite come on during long pulls. As soon as the crest of the hill is reached the temp returns to normal During the heat of the day straght and level increases the heat and I must slow to 50 or 55. Anyone had the same problem and if so any solutions. Thanks jr
jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2008, 05:38 AM   #2

Hi jr, Welcome to Irv2. It has been a big help to me the past several years in maintaining my motor home.

About your problem, a little more information would be helpful. What type and year model is your rig? Does it have a rear or side radiator? Have you cleaned it the radiator using Simple Green? etc. The more we know about your rig the easier it is to determine the problem.

Happy trails,
Larry
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
jlr

Thanks for your response. The coach and engine are 2005 with rear radiator. I power wash the radiator twice per year and once had it removed and boiled.
Additionally I blow it out weekly when we travel. Yet the problem persists. I wonder if it could be the radiator cap. I never loose fluid.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Have you had your Thermostat serviced?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
You will probably think I am crazy, but I met a guy this past weekend who had a heating problem same as you. He swore that the fan was mounted on the engine backwards so that it sucked air from the outside the radiator IN toward the engine. I don't even know if this is possible or not, but he said a tech at an engine shop found it. I don't recall what kind of engine he said he had.
I wonder if this guy was just talking or what the real deal is here. Ideas?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
jlr

Thanks to all. I just checked the fan issue and it is pushing air out the back.
I had the thermostat checed two years ago. Told it was ok but I will have it replaced asap to see if it helps. If so I will share it on this site. jr
Old 08-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #7

we had a similar experience with our '04 Discovery with 330 cat engine, on a trip to Yellowstone. It turned out to be our radiator cap. We lost no fluid either.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:12 AM   #8
jlr

Thanks Paula. I have always had a suspicion of the cap. All this started after I check for fluids three years ago and removed and replaced the cap. I will try this first. jr
Old 08-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
jlr

Paula: Bya ny chance do you know what pressure cap they replaced on your coach? The one I have is a 15 lb cap. Seems high. jlr
Old 08-22-2008, 05:27 AM   #10

Carry a spare??
Switch only if radiator is cold. Mine's a bit cumbersome to be sure it's tight.

'04 Meridian 36G
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 AM   #11

Hi jlr
I have a friendship g7 with a cat 330 and I also tow a Gx 470. I have the same exact problem that you are having with the temperature the Rv only has 40KM. This never happenned in the east coast, but now I am traveling on the west and it is getting me really crazy in the mountains. Did you found the cause of the problem or any solution so far?
I did not find any special problem on the cooling system. I think that I am overloading the rv and the engine is overheating for lack of power. I am buying now a tunnig chip for the Cat with the hope it will solve the problem (http://www.usdieselchips.com/site/1622112/page/835622).
I will let you know once I try it. Please let me know if you have any more information. Thanks.
Andres
Andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #12

We had a similar mild overheating issue. I replaced the fan belt. The Cat tech said it was fine when I asked them to replace it (didn't ask him if it was OK - told him to replace it - lost revenue on their part . . . ).

Giveaway for me was that whenever we stopped after a long pull, the light smell of burning rubber emanated from the engine bay. Replaced belt, tensioned per the book - problem solved!

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #13
jlr

Quote:
Originally posted by Andres:
Hi jlr
I have a friendship g7 with a cat 330 and I also tow a Gx 470. I have the same exact problem that you are having with the temperature the Rv only has 40KM. This never happenned in the east coast, but now I am traveling on the west and it is getting me really crazy in the mountains. Did you found the cause of the problem or any solution so far?
I did not find any special problem on the cooling system. I think that I am overloading the rv and the engine is overheating for lack of power. I am buying now a tunnig chip for the Cat with the hope it will solve the problem (http://www.usdieselchips.com/site/1622112/page/835622).
I will let you know once I try it. Please let me know if you have any more information. Thanks.
Andres
Old 10-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #14
jlr

Quote:
Originally posted by jlr:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andres:
Sorry about the blank one sent. Currently the coach is in the Cat dealer in Ft Myers Fl. All systems checked out but the radiator, they say is plugged badly. I had the same thing two years ago in KC where they say they boiled it out. I will test drive it next week to see and let you know. I can't believe we are the only two haveing such difficulty with Catapillar.jr
Hi jlr
Andres
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>