RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:02 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cat A/C

I had Cat replace the water pump on my 3126B engine. There was a lot of items to remove to get to the water pump which included the A/C Compressor. While reinstalling the A/C compressor the Tech broke the large line at the compressor. The tech took ownership and said they would replace the fitting.

My A/C was working as intended prior.

Cat tech cam back and replaced the fitting. Prior to charging the system he installed nitrogen to check for leaks and sure enough a leaks shows on the pressure gauges, he the proceeds to do a vacuum test and again a leaks shows. Tech cannot find leak. He used soap and water to test at lines to see if leaks would show. Tech installed new refrigerant and under my suggestion installed to cans of 'Stop Leak'. Over the past week the refrigerant has leaked out and I have no AC.

According to Winnebago the A/C system should only hold 2.5 LBS of refrigerant, which seems low considering there is close to 100' of refrigerant lines plus all the other parts and pieces to the system. The Tech installed 6LBs of refrigerant.

My issue is: the system was working as designed prior to the break and now it isn't. Cat is shrugging their shoulders and saying its not there problem, their repair doesn't appear to be leaking.

Im dazed and confused. Thoughts ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #2

I believe that Freightliner installed the A/C compressor; onto the engine ; and lines on your chassis , to the front of the frame , then Winnie installed, the dash portion of the HVAC system and charged it , so I'd trust the Winnie # for a refill . I'll check but believe my Newmar/Freightliner amount is similar.

Has this dealer installed a leak dye in the system ?
If the shop just cut the hose and replaced a fitting they may have disturbed the hose where it runs the length of the frame , through the basement , and removing all the shielding along the frame may be required, to track your leak.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:35 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From what I can tell, Compressor came from Cat, the lines to the front were installed my Winnebago.CAT is doing the repair as they are the ones that damaged the line. No dye has been installed at this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I believe that Freightliner installed the A/C compressor; onto the engine ; and lines on your chassis , to the front of the frame , then Winnie installed, the dash portion of the HVAC system and charged it , so I'd trust the Winnie # for a refill . I'll check but believe my Newmar/Freightliner amount is similar.

Has this dealer installed a leak dye in the system ?
If the shop just cut the hose and replaced a fitting they may have disturbed the hose where it runs the length of the frame , through the basement , and removing all the shielding along the frame may be required, to track your leak.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:40 PM   #4

I had to replace my A/C compressor two years ago and Freightliner had the P/N and the best price .

Compressor shows up on my DTNA Connect link ; so I figure it was their install.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:03 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Supplier of compressor really has no bearing on my issue. Thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I had to replace my A/C compressor two years ago and Freightliner had the P/N and the best price .

Compressor shows up on my DTNA Connect link ; so I figure it was their install.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:45 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
no thoughts?
Old 05-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesflhtk View Post
According to Winnebago the A/C system should only hold 2.5 LBS of refrigerant, which seems low considering there is close to 100' of refrigerant lines plus all the other parts and pieces to the system. The Tech installed 6LBs of refrigerant.

My issue is: the system was working as designed prior to the break and now it isn't. Cat is shrugging their shoulders and saying its not there problem, their repair doesn't appear to be leaking.

Im dazed and confused. Thoughts ?
That's a crappy situation.

Step one is to fix the leaks (the system should hold a vacuum overnight), before any charging is done. 2.5 Lbs does seem low. But the high and low side AC pressures will tell when it's charged fully.

I can also understand CAT's position. How do they know the system worked before you came in?

If they fixed the line near the compressor that they broke, and it is not leaking, the leak must be somewhere else. Right?

Maybe you had a bad hose and the movement of that hose during the repair caused it to leak (in which case the hose would have leaked on you at some point in the near future anyways). Sometimes things that are old break when you work around it and bump/move things.

Anyways, sorry for your troubles. I hope you get this worked out soon.

CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat