Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 06:37 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to TXwannabe
Cat C-7 dipstick is HOW MUCH???

Had our 05 Phaeton into Velocity Truck Center in Tolleson, AZ for service today. Engine is a Cat C-7 on a Freightliner Custom Chassis. Had an overheating issue on long climbs and they steam cleaned the radiator/Charge Air Cooler to clear out the accumulated gunk, most of which comes from the crankcase vent tube. Common issue with the C-7 I'm told, so they also added an extension to the vent tube to keep it from venting right in front of the rad. I also had them do the annual oil change/lube/fuel filters since it was in the shop, even though its a couple of months early. Since we full time, it made sense to get it all done at once.

NOW, here is what is making my head explode: Tech shows me the bottom 1 1/2" of my dipstick and tells me that piece came out of the crankcase when they drained the oil. Asks if Ive had trouble getting the dipstick inserted when I check the oil. The answer is, "Of course I do. It's a total pain, and has been for the 5 years I've owned the MH." He proceeds to tell me he checked on a replacement dipstick but they don't have one in stock, but I should know that the replacement for this rig is SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS. Yes, $600! I am aware that adding RV to the description of any needed part adds a significant markup to the price, but this????

I think I may still be in shock, several hours later...

Any thoughts on what my plan B should be?

P.S. Velocity Truck is an outstanding service location. I would not hesitate to return for additional work if needed.
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 06:43 PM   #2

Don’t understand the question... how does an oil dipstick function incorrectly? It’s a simple item.

Try slightly rotating the dipstick while inserting...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:56 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to TXwannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Don’t understand the question... how does an oil dipstick function incorrectly? It’s a simple item.

Try slightly rotating the dipstick while inserting...
Sorry - let me clarify. The original dipstick somehow broke off the last 1 1/2" and it came out with the drained oil today. So my dipstick is short by the broken piece. A replacement is $600 from Freightliner.
It has been a pain to fully insert since I became the owner of this MH 5 years ago. I have seen several other threads describing the same issue. The dipstick goes in about 90% of the way, then won't go in the rest of the way. Twisting usually gets it to finally fully insert, but it isnt easy and takes a few minutes of trying to get it fully seated, whether its me or a service tech.
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:06 PM   #4

WOW! was he joking?
Try this: 1-800-FTL-HELP should get a part number and you can order direct from FCCC as well. Have the last six digits of your VIN handy when you call.
When you get a new dipstick, you will need to calibrate it. This will require changing the oil minus 1 quart, marking the stick, then adding that last quart and marking it again. (Calibrated Fill Method)

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I’m pretty sure the dipstick is part of the cat motor so you’ll need to go to parts.cat.com enter your motor serial number and you look look up the part number and price and if your local dealer has one

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
I’m pretty sure the dipstick is part of the cat motor so you’ll need to go to parts.cat.com enter your motor serial number and you look look up the part number and price and if your local dealer has one

No, it is a Freightliner part.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:57 PM   #7

It would be really easy to weld 1.5 inches back to the tip... goto amazon buy any dipstick for 5$ and find a welder... or weld back the original piece...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:06 PM   #8

If you go the welding route (I might braze it) don't forget to anneal it after it's welded so it won't be so brittle. I will admit I've never heard of a dip stick breaking before. Good luck
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:11 AM   #9

This has been posted before but I had the problem of the dipstick going in the last of it's travel. But as posted before I took two vicegrips and made a twist at the end of the diptick and when it gets stuck you just turn the dipstick and it will go right in.
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:22 AM   #10

Try a truck salvage yard.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FYI
Cat.parts.com lists it as a “gage-oil”

Don’t forget eBay for $45

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223969763539

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
FYI
Cat.parts.com lists it as a “gage-oil”

Don’t forget eBay for $45

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223969763539

Fine for a truck with easy access to the side of the engine= short dipstick.

But, on a DP, the dipstick is L O N G and supplied by the chassis maker.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Fine for a truck with easy access to the side of the engine= short dipstick.

But, on a DP, the dipstick is L O N G and supplied by the chassis maker.
You are correct Brett but, SIX HUNDRED AMERICAN DOLLARS for a dip stick???????????????????????????? I'm sorry but, SOMEBODIES been on drugs waaaaaaaaay too long AND, DRINKING THEIR BATH WATER! The oil pan for my C-7 was quoted as $395 and the gasket was another $90 waaaaaaaaay back about 8-9 years ago when we first acquired the coach and it's oil pan was severely rusty. And there's a bit more to the production of that oil pan than there is to making a dip stick.

I'd have to be shown the computer screen, price sheet, description and corresponding part number to even think about believing that, that is a correct price for a DIP STICK, no matter what it fits.

I'd make one out of coat hangers before I'd pay anything near that much.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:54 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
For $600 bucks I'd get creative. Figure out the length of your original dipstick by adding 1.5". Hopefully they gave you the broken piece to confirm the original length. Fabricate one out of a piece of speedometer cable material and your old handle end perhaps. Mark a full/add mark to the cable end...plus a cable would likely be much easier to get in and out.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat