Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #15

Ian,
Cat is a smart cookie. I would follow his lead. IF an injector is leaking hot but not cold, I would find that very interesting. Have never seen that myself.

Just prior to turning the engine off when warm: What is the pressure? 2150?? Then you attempt to immediately restart and it is 200 PSI? That to me is some signal control issue. IF a leak was NOT present prior to shutting off, 2150 psi, then I find it hard to believe immediate restarting the leak presents itself. To me this is a sensor providing corrupt data to the ECM or some code issue that is voodoo. The other pressures you are indicating seem to be very different then what I see on many engines at given load/rpm's.

Got a strange one there my friend! Not convinced it's the HEUI just yet.
George
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2020, 12:59 AM   #16

Cat C9 - warm starting issues

To update this thread

With thanks to those who have contributed / assisted in this quest

Several hours recently spent with Finnings / CAT connected to ET

Warm starting issues eventually tracked down / confirmed as a temperature related electrical failing within the pump

A less than optimum 'crimp' within the pump was addressed by CAT when multiple improvements were made to HEUI pumps some years AFTER ours was manufactured

A new (reman) pump is on order and time will tell

Thanks again to those who contributed / assisted

Ian S.
2005 CC #31231
Ct C9 #9DG02935
IanSmith-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanSmith-UK View Post
To update this thread

With thanks to those who have contributed / assisted in this quest

Several hours recently spent with Finnings / CAT connected to ET

Warm starting issues eventually tracked down / confirmed as a temperature related electrical failing within the pump

A less than optimum 'crimp' within the pump was addressed by CAT when multiple improvements were made to HEUI pumps some years AFTER ours was manufactured

A new (reman) pump is on order and time will tell

Thanks again to those who contributed / assisted

Ian S.
2005 CC #31231
Ct C9 #9DG02935
I know this is an older post, But I'm wondering if that fixed the problem? I'm looking at buy a 2005 Fleetwood Revolution LE with the same motor in it.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:13 PM   #18
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
I know this is an older post, But I'm wondering if that fixed the problem? I'm looking at buy a 2005 Fleetwood Revolution LE with the same motor in it.
My understanding is no this did not correct the problem. Ian was doing some further tests was my understanding but Ian jumps in once and awhile. So he may have a further updates.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:12 AM   #19

Quote:
My 2 cents is if the coach is in good shape then budget into the purchase replacing the HEUI pump. Our 2004 3126 330 HP runs like a champ and with a little love the C7 and 3126 are excellent engines. We just returned from a 2,500 mile trip fully loaded coach with stuff and pulling a 1,800 lb. boat. A few 6% grade hills 3 miles long and she started 70 at the bottom and maintained 62 the entire hill. I have ZERO complaints about my Cat.

I carry a spare HEUI pump, IAP sensor, atmospheric sensor, inlet air temp sensor, boost pressure sensor. I did have a Medallion coolant level sensor fail only for the fact the coolant coats the sensor and alters the resistance providing a false negative level. I now carry one of those also.

I very wise old Cat engineer shared that I should take my coach into Cat and have them pull the program out of the ECM and Cat would provide a detailed print out of all the engine settings. This way if the ECM were to ever fail then the dealer replacing the ECM could mirror image the original settings in very little time rather MANY hours to guess at what the engine settings may have been. Program upload and full print out was $300.00. Cheap insurance.

My engine starts within 1.5 seconds every time regardless of weather. Allow the grid heater to warm the inlet air in cooler weather and she fires up like it was 80 out.

Some have kicked the Cat engine over the years due to the HEUI pump. Is it, was it something to pay attention to? YES, however I would rather be replacing a HEUI pump then dropping a inlet/exhaust valve like other manufactures experience. Put in place something to keep the HEUI from putting contaminants in the engine, in case of failure, and you too will come to appreciate the Cat engine.

Have a great day and hopefully the Covid pandemic is nearing the end.....
George
Old 05-18-2021, 03:51 AM   #20

Cat C9 - warm starting issues

Quote:

In short, no
So I have a new "improved' HEUI pump but still warm starting issues

Covid and extended lockdowns over here in the UK have thwarted significant trouble shooting progress since the autumn of last year unfortunately
(I am able to do much the work myself and have access to commercial workshop facilities by arrangement - so there was major labour charge savings )

I have lost all faith in Finnings over here in the UK - I am getting more trouble shooting assistance from Cat and Discovery39s and others on this forum

I have resorted to old-style trouble shooting, one thing at a time - with lengthy road testing in between, the definitive cause / solution is taking a while

The CAT is a great engine - yes I would have another
I would very strongly recommend you install the aftermarket IFS kit to protect your injectors in the event of HEUI pump failure

I will update things when I eventually 'crack this'.

(But I am enjoying the number of people who are quite happy when they challenge me for leaving the engine running whilst refuelling to be told "it is the on board generator" - almost worth living with the issue )

Ian S.
Exeter, UK
2205 CC Allure 430 #31231
CAT C9 400bhp #9DG02935
Old 06-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #21

That's interesting. I still have the complete opposite problem. Cold start hard. Warm start fine. Our motors should talk to each other and figure it out. My workaround right now is just plugging in the block heater.
New 2 Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:19 AM   #22

Cat C9 - warm starting issues - close out

All,

Time to close this one out I think - I hope that hasn't tempted fate

Coming to the end of 2,000 miles around the UK, lots of warm / hot starts thrown in for good measure - no problems at fuel stops - all looking good and back to pre-problem starting when hot, ie: first turn of the key .

So, what did we find / repair to solve / cure the problem - in short, NOTHING

What trouble shooting /routine maintenance did we undertake in our quest for a solution ....

In short, over the space over several weeks / journeys ......

We hooked up pressure relief valves and some pressure gauges in the line between the HEUI pump and the engine oil gallery (injection actuation port) for external / third party monitoring (and confirmation of the operation of the IAP sensor) - this was made much easier by the fitment of a 'T' on the outlet of the after market IFS filter body

We observed that output from the HEUI pump was satisfactory / adequate for starting at ALL engine temperatures - so perhaps I didn't need the new HEUI pump that Finnings / CAT over here advised would cure the problem

We noticed that output pressure would decline / drop on the engine side as soon as the motor was turned off when the engine was hot - and not return to a sufficient pressure to allow the ECM / injectors to 'fire' when trying to restart

Hoping it was nothing more serious,
we 'bit the bullet", covered all the cream carpets in the bedroom, and pulled / replaced ALL the injector O-rings - as suggested by CAT / others on this forum

No oil compression O-rings were broken BUT ALL were showing their age (16 years) and had significant witness marks where the O-ring was positioned at the 'gap' in the back up ring

It was interesting to find that only 2 of the 12 injector clamp bolts required 'cracking' - the remainder were only finger tight, if that, and wound out easily

At approaching 35,000 miles - we also adjusted the valve lash / valve clearances - and found that only 2 out of the 12 clearances were anything like 'correct' - the remainder had at best oil drag clearance, many not even that

Having re-assembled everything, the engine started (cold) as expected - fast idle to normal operating temperature, then .....
engine started first turn when hot

Several hot starts later - connected to CAT ET - it was time to rebuild the bedroom and put the coach back in running order

So, 2,000 miles later, the engine hot starting is still performing as it was 'pre-problem' ....

No, that is not true .....
the engine now sounds far 'sweeter', wants to accelerate quicker, cruise faster, appears to have "more power" -

around the UK on the motorway / freeway network the coach is happier now @ circa 65 mph - doesn't drop gears when climbing gentle inclines but 'knuckles down' increases boost pressure and "pulls like a train" ..... and over a couple of fuel 'fill ups' appears to be doing about another 0.8 mpg

What would I do differently next time ....
I wouldn't blindly believe the Finnings tech guys, (and save myself the cost of a HEUI pump )
I would hook up external pressures gauges to determine exactly where in the system the pressure is being lost,
I would pull / replace the injector O-rings as a matters of course - and given the witness marks on those replaced will schedule routine replacement in a few years

My own copy of CAT ET has been a god-send and paid for itself many times over as well as helping with correct toque settings etc

Apologies for the long post - hopefully it might help somebody else's trouble shooting somewhere down the road

Finally thanks to all who contributed / made suggestions along the way, "we got there in the end"

Safe travels

Ian S.
Exeter UK - although travelling around Scotland at the minute
2005 CC Allure 430 #31231
CAT C9 - 400 bhp # 9DG02935
Old 08-30-2021, 11:54 AM   #23
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanSmith-UK View Post
All,

Time to close this one out I think - I hope that hasn't tempted fate

Coming to the end of 2,000 miles around the UK, lots of warm / hot starts thrown in for good measure - no problems at fuel stops - all looking good and back to pre-problem starting when hot, ie: first turn of the key .

So, what did we find / repair to solve / cure the problem - in short, NOTHING

What trouble shooting /routine maintenance did we undertake in our quest for a solution ....

In short, over the space over several weeks / journeys ......

We hooked up pressure relief valves and some pressure gauges in the line between the HEUI pump and the engine oil gallery (injection actuation port) for external / third party monitoring (and confirmation of the operation of the IAP sensor) - this was made much easier by the fitment of a 'T' on the outlet of the after market IFS filter body

We observed that output from the HEUI pump was satisfactory / adequate for starting at ALL engine temperatures - so perhaps I didn't need the new HEUI pump that Finnings / CAT over here advised would cure the problem

We noticed that output pressure would decline / drop on the engine side as soon as the motor was turned off when the engine was hot - and not return to a sufficient pressure to allow the ECM / injectors to 'fire' when trying to restart

Hoping it was nothing more serious,
we 'bit the bullet", covered all the cream carpets in the bedroom, and pulled / replaced ALL the injector O-rings - as suggested by CAT / others on this forum

No oil compression O-rings were broken BUT ALL were showing their age (16 years) and had significant witness marks where the O-ring was positioned at the 'gap' in the back up ring

It was interesting to find that only 2 of the 12 injector clamp bolts required 'cracking' - the remainder were only finger tight, if that, and wound out easily

At approaching 35,000 miles - we also adjusted the valve lash / valve clearances - and found that only 2 out of the 12 clearances were anything like 'correct' - the remainder had at best oil drag clearance, many not even that

Having re-assembled everything, the engine started (cold) as expected - fast idle to normal operating temperature, then .....
engine started first turn when hot

Several hot starts later - connected to CAT ET - it was time to rebuild the bedroom and put the coach back in running order

So, 2,000 miles later, the engine hot starting is still performing as it was 'pre-problem' ....

No, that is not true .....
the engine now sounds far 'sweeter', wants to accelerate quicker, cruise faster, appears to have "more power" -

around the UK on the motorway / freeway network the coach is happier now @ circa 65 mph - doesn't drop gears when climbing gentle inclines but 'knuckles down' increases boost pressure and "pulls like a train" ..... and over a couple of fuel 'fill ups' appears to be doing about another 0.8 mpg

What would I do differently next time ....
I wouldn't blindly believe the Finnings tech guys, (and save myself the cost of a HEUI pump )
I would hook up external pressures gauges to determine exactly where in the system the pressure is being lost,
I would pull / replace the injector O-rings as a matters of course - and given the witness marks on those replaced will schedule routine replacement in a few years

My own copy of CAT ET has been a god-send and paid for itself many times over as well as helping with correct toque settings etc

Apologies for the long post - hopefully it might help somebody else's trouble shooting somewhere down the road

Finally thanks to all who contributed / made suggestions along the way, "we got there in the end"

Safe travels

Ian S.
Exeter UK - although travelling around Scotland at the minute
2005 CC Allure 430 #31231
CAT C9 - 400 bhp # 9DG02935
Excellent news! Congrats on getting it fixed. The intermittent only when hot or only when cold always are the toughest to diagnose. And thank you for letting everyone know. Safe and Trouble free travels !!!.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, ems, problem, problems