Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2008, 07:01 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I attended the FMCA Rally last week in Pomona. Lucky me, it was only a 12 minute drive from home. I really enjoyed myself. This was my first ever rally. I was like a kid in a candy store for the first time. I brought back home some nice new gadgets and tons of valuable information.

The CAT Engine Seminar that I attended was very informational. They put on a very good seminar. Below are some of the highlights. I don't profess to be a diesel mechanic or engineer, so if you disagree with any of this stuff, please don't look at me, I'm only trying to convey the info put out by CAT.

<LI>Your CAT Engine Serial Number is your key to identifying correct replacement parts and service information from CAT. Write it down and save it in a readily accessible place.

<LI>The standard CAT Factory Warranty on new engines is 5 years or 200K miles. Optional coverage up to 10 years is also available through CAT. Both warranties transfer over to subsequent owners.

<LI>Engine Coolant: Cat recommends using their coolant for maximum protection. A 50/50 mix of CAT Diesel Engine Antifreeze and Coolant and distilled or de-ionized water is recommended. You should clean and recharge your coolant system every 3 years or 20K miles. In between recharging, CAT recommends testing your coolant's SCA (Supplemental Coolant Additives) level with CAT Coolant Test Strips.

<LI>CAT also manufactures an Extended Life Coolant (ELC). This coolant is pink in color. It is sold pre-mixed with water, or in concentrated form without water. It is good for 6 years or 600K miles! There is no need to test the ELC for SCA's. But you should add CAT's ELC extender liquid 3 years after your intial fill with ELC. Adding anything else to ELC will contaminate it and shorten it's life.

<LI>More on Engine Cooling: CAT recommends changing your thermostat every 3 years. It is a good idea to carry an extra set of radiator hoses as well as an extra serpentine belt with you on the road. CAT recommends cleaning and de-greasing both sides of your engine radiator annually with Simple Green or something similar. Do not use anything too harsh, and do not use a pressure washer when rinsing it off, as the high pressure can bend the radiator fins. Use only normal water pressure from a garden hose.

<LI>Engine Oil: Only add engine oil when the level is at or below the add mark on your dipstick. CAT really stresses this point. They said it is better to run a little low than a little high.

<LI>If your crankcase blow by (slobber) tube makes a mess, CAT now manufactures a sealed unit called the Mist Filtration System, to replace the slobber tube. The system returns all oil and vapors back into the crankcase (something gasoline engines have been doing for decades). CAT sells these for $309.00.

<LI>CAT introduced a chart that compared their High Capacity Fuel Filters with those manufactured by Fleetguard, Donaldson, Baldwin and Wix. The CAT filter performed much better than all of the other filters. Surprisingly, according to their chart, Wix performed terribly.

<LI>CAT recommends using CAT Fuel Conditioner (part no. 256-4968) with every tank of fuel. This conditioner is said to eliminate microorganisms during storage, while providing extra lubricity for today's Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel.

<LI>Bio-Diesel: CAT warns not to use any diesel fuel with a bio-diesel blend higher than 30%. NEVER use straight bio-diesel.

<LI>CAT recommends checking and cleaning the Engine Battery Ground Stud annually. Corrosion at the stud has been known to cause some strange electrical malfunctions, according to CAT.

<LI>Valve Lash Adjustment: CAT recommends having this service performed by a CAT dealer at 30K miles. It should be done once every 100K miles thereafter.

<LI>Fuel Savings: Limit your idle time. There is no need to idle today's modern diesel engines. CAT engines reach operating temperature (180 degrees) within a few minutes of start-up. Any more time than that and you are pouring fuel out your exhaust pipe. Excessive idling can even cause engine damage.

<LI>CAT makes an RV D-I-Y friendly maintenance package called the RV Cruise Kit. It contains an oil filter, fuel filter, work gloves and lots of other neat goodies. They sell for $86.00. I was putting down my money for the last one left at the rally, when I realized that the fuel filter in the kit wouldn't fit my engine. You can get more information on the kit by going here.

<LI>The Cat RV Club has lots of valuable information on their web site, www.catrvclub.org
Club members receive a 10% discount on parts and service from CAT, upon presentation of a Cat RV Club membership card.

CAT gave out several nice handouts during their seminar. One of these handouts answered FAQ's and gave instructions on how you can calibrate your dipstick yourself at home. CAT stressed that this is important, because CAT engine dipsticks are not installed by CAT, but rather the individual chassis manufacturers. Thus, they can vary in lengths and markings.

I've scanned the above mentioned handout into a PDF file. If you would like a copy, PM me your email address and I'll be glad to email you one.

I also attended the Allison Transmission Seminar. Unfortunately they put on a terrible seminar. The only thing the speaker uttered that was of any use to me, was:

<LI>Checking your transmission fluid level remotely with your gear selector, is more accurate than checking it with the dipstick.

About a third of the seminar attendees, including myself, walked out about 40 minutes into the Allison seminar, when the speaker began playing a video designed for truck drivers that showed you how to shift your Allison automatic transmission. I didn't need a video to tell me how to do that, so I left.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:01 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I attended the FMCA Rally last week in Pomona. Lucky me, it was only a 12 minute drive from home. I really enjoyed myself. This was my first ever rally. I was like a kid in a candy store for the first time. I brought back home some nice new gadgets and tons of valuable information.

The CAT Engine Seminar that I attended was very informational. They put on a very good seminar. Below are some of the highlights. I don't profess to be a diesel mechanic or engineer, so if you disagree with any of this stuff, please don't look at me, I'm only trying to convey the info put out by CAT.

<LI>Your CAT Engine Serial Number is your key to identifying correct replacement parts and service information from CAT. Write it down and save it in a readily accessible place.

<LI>The standard CAT Factory Warranty on new engines is 5 years or 200K miles. Optional coverage up to 10 years is also available through CAT. Both warranties transfer over to subsequent owners.

<LI>Engine Coolant: Cat recommends using their coolant for maximum protection. A 50/50 mix of CAT Diesel Engine Antifreeze and Coolant and distilled or de-ionized water is recommended. You should clean and recharge your coolant system every 3 years or 20K miles. In between recharging, CAT recommends testing your coolant's SCA (Supplemental Coolant Additives) level with CAT Coolant Test Strips.

<LI>CAT also manufactures an Extended Life Coolant (ELC). This coolant is pink in color. It is sold pre-mixed with water, or in concentrated form without water. It is good for 6 years or 600K miles! There is no need to test the ELC for SCA's. But you should add CAT's ELC extender liquid 3 years after your intial fill with ELC. Adding anything else to ELC will contaminate it and shorten it's life.

<LI>More on Engine Cooling: CAT recommends changing your thermostat every 3 years. It is a good idea to carry an extra set of radiator hoses as well as an extra serpentine belt with you on the road. CAT recommends cleaning and de-greasing both sides of your engine radiator annually with Simple Green or something similar. Do not use anything too harsh, and do not use a pressure washer when rinsing it off, as the high pressure can bend the radiator fins. Use only normal water pressure from a garden hose.

<LI>Engine Oil: Only add engine oil when the level is at or below the add mark on your dipstick. CAT really stresses this point. They said it is better to run a little low than a little high.

<LI>If your crankcase blow by (slobber) tube makes a mess, CAT now manufactures a sealed unit called the Mist Filtration System, to replace the slobber tube. The system returns all oil and vapors back into the crankcase (something gasoline engines have been doing for decades). CAT sells these for $309.00.

<LI>CAT introduced a chart that compared their High Capacity Fuel Filters with those manufactured by Fleetguard, Donaldson, Baldwin and Wix. The CAT filter performed much better than all of the other filters. Surprisingly, according to their chart, Wix performed terribly.

<LI>CAT recommends using CAT Fuel Conditioner (part no. 256-4968) with every tank of fuel. This conditioner is said to eliminate microorganisms during storage, while providing extra lubricity for today's Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel.

<LI>Bio-Diesel: CAT warns not to use any diesel fuel with a bio-diesel blend higher than 30%. NEVER use straight bio-diesel.

<LI>CAT recommends checking and cleaning the Engine Battery Ground Stud annually. Corrosion at the stud has been known to cause some strange electrical malfunctions, according to CAT.

<LI>Valve Lash Adjustment: CAT recommends having this service performed by a CAT dealer at 30K miles. It should be done once every 100K miles thereafter.

<LI>Fuel Savings: Limit your idle time. There is no need to idle today's modern diesel engines. CAT engines reach operating temperature (180 degrees) within a few minutes of start-up. Any more time than that and you are pouring fuel out your exhaust pipe. Excessive idling can even cause engine damage.

<LI>CAT makes an RV D-I-Y friendly maintenance package called the RV Cruise Kit. It contains an oil filter, fuel filter, work gloves and lots of other neat goodies. They sell for $86.00. I was putting down my money for the last one left at the rally, when I realized that the fuel filter in the kit wouldn't fit my engine. You can get more information on the kit by going here.

<LI>The Cat RV Club has lots of valuable information on their web site, www.catrvclub.org
Club members receive a 10% discount on parts and service from CAT, upon presentation of a Cat RV Club membership card.

CAT gave out several nice handouts during their seminar. One of these handouts answered FAQ's and gave instructions on how you can calibrate your dipstick yourself at home. CAT stressed that this is important, because CAT engine dipsticks are not installed by CAT, but rather the individual chassis manufacturers. Thus, they can vary in lengths and markings.

I've scanned the above mentioned handout into a PDF file. If you would like a copy, PM me your email address and I'll be glad to email you one.

I also attended the Allison Transmission Seminar. Unfortunately they put on a terrible seminar. The only thing the speaker uttered that was of any use to me, was:

<LI>Checking your transmission fluid level remotely with your gear selector, is more accurate than checking it with the dipstick.

About a third of the seminar attendees, including myself, walked out about 40 minutes into the Allison seminar, when the speaker began playing a video designed for truck drivers that showed you how to shift your Allison automatic transmission. I didn't need a video to tell me how to do that, so I left.

Craig

Old 06-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Craig,

Thank you for taking the time to list all of the great stuff that you learned at the FMCA rally. The one that we attended in January in Indio, CA had the CAT seminar but unfortunately it was cancelled because the speaker couldn't make it. I was bummed because I was looking forward to it. This is my first diesel pusher and obviously my first CAT engine. It takes a lot of time for a good informative post like yours and I appreciate it.

AKBrick
Old 06-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the kind words. It did take some time and I wondered if anybody cared, as no one until now responded. If it only helped one person, you, then it was worth the time!

Craig

Old 06-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quite frankly, I'm guilty of not venturing into this forum a lot. I should be here more often since I need the CAT knowledge!
Thanks again,

AKBrick
Old 06-30-2008, 09:42 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Craig, thanks for the excellent post. Many of us will find that info very beneficial. I will PM you for a copy.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:19 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">CAT Engine Seminar at the FMCA Rally </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd also like a copy.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
I sure hope CAT will do the same seminar at the St Paul FMCA rally next week.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Some post can keep giving, thanks for the info to someone new to this forum and Cat D's.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Craig,
This was very helpful information.

Thanks for your hard work.
wimwega is offline   Reply With Quote